LDRS - Rocket Pasture

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am attending LDRS this Summer, 2019. Please provide information concerning the physical aspects of the Rocket Pasture Launch Site so I may more adeptly plan for my Level III certification flight.

Probably some hot mixed with some windy.

Drink way more water than you're used to, and please take a buddy for retrieval.

Especially if you've never tried to walk on plowed dirt, it's very easy to underestimate.

Expect a lot of walking. Each year Wayco and I have gone to Airfest we average 13-15 miles each day on our pedometers. GPS and trackers cut down on rocket retrieval distance but still - a lot of time on the feet.

Drink way more water than you're used to, and please take a buddy for retrieval.

Especially if you've never tried to walk on plowed dirt, it's very easy to underestimate.

This. I walked with a friend to retrieve his rocket. He had GPS on it so we knew exactly where it was. A mile and a half each way in a plowed field really takes it out of you. I'm diabetic and had to gulp M&Ms when I got back, sugar had dropped so low. At least I got to eat M&Ms...

Best -- Terry

I am attending LDRS this Summer, 2019. Please provide information concerning the physical aspects of the Rocket Pasture Launch Site so I may more adeptly plan for my Level III certification flight.
Not really sure what you're after here.

Flattest terrain you will ever experience. No hills within sight. Waiver to 50,000' 8nm radius. Very few trees.

Launch range is huge and really spread out.

Hot, dusty, windy. Great people, great launch facilities, great vendors, premier prefecture. Biggest challenge is sizing your chute to strike the quintessential balance of fast descent rate versus having your rocket land gently and then get dragged by the wind. Oh, dont forget that the club prohibits exposed metal on the rockets. So paint those metal nose cone tips. Check out their Web site And read the rulz.

Like Dwayne says. PAINT those aluminum nose cone tips. Dont wait till you get to RSO and think you will get away with painting your tip with black magic marker. Bring and drink plenty of fluids as temps average +-100 degrees and sometimes a little breezy. Better make hotel arrangements now if you dont plan on staying on site. Most of the closer motels are filled but you can check the Kloudbuster website for others in the Wichita area.

Oh, dont forget that the club prohibits exposed metal on the rockets. So paint those metal nose cone tips. Check out their Web site And read the rulz.

Just curious, why is that? I have a Madcow kit where the nose cone tip is anodized. Is that ok? How about motor retainers (tail cones)?

Thanks,
Jeff

Just curious, why is that? I have a Madcow kit where the nose cone tip is anodized. Is that ok? How about motor retainers (tail cones)?

Thanks,
Jeff

From the website:

Capture.JPG

I had thought that the requirement included painting exposed metal. But the rulz may have changed. I defer to Bob or Lance.

Back