LDRS Registration questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I am wondering how the registration for LDRS works. Do you only have to register if you are FLYING, or do you have to pay to just watch, too? My parents and I are going to go to LDRS, and we need to figure out how many registrations we need. Thanks guys! -Neil

At the one I attended you only paid if you flew. I suspect this will be true now also.

I'm pretty sure they'd have a 'spectator' fee listed on their site if there was one. I've heard of no-spectator launches, but never one with a spectator fee. This wouuld run off too many fliers who want to drag the family along.

Originally posted by Neil
I am wondering how the registration for LDRS works. Do you only have to register if you are FLYING, or do you have to pay to just watch, too? My parents and I are going to go to LDRS, and we need to figure out how many registrations we need. Thanks guys! -Neil

Neil:

Only flyers need to register. The resistration form for flyers is available on the site. Its a pdf you download and fill out. Online payments thru PayPal are supposed to be available this week.

Registered flyers will get a parking pass in the mail. This allows them to park near the flight line. If you all are traveling in 1 car ; then no issue. You can also request a second parking pass if you need it.

Spectators not associated with a flyer will have to pay a per car parking fee. Basically $5 per day. And park in an area away from the flight line.

HTH

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Thanks! Thats what I needed to know.

my dad and I will proabably want to register early to save $$$$. Is about $35 less if you do it before April 1, isnt it?

Thanks! Thats what I needed to know.

my dad and I will proabably want to register early to save $$$$. Is about $35 less if you do it before April 1, isnt it?

Neil:

Its 10% off for early registration. Then normal pricing till May 31st I believe. After that or on the field it goes up $30.

The form will give you all the details you should need.

Al Sterner
NAR 79513 L2
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Thats what I meant. $35 or so less than the on-field registration.:D

i really want to go, i'm still working on the details tho. I need to find out soon, tho, to get the early registration discount. but i also want to fly mostly F-G motors (b/c i cant fly them here), and i can't afford to foot the bill that that would ensue. (for kids and A-E motors its only $10 which i can afford, but $45!) I'm wondering y kids can only fly A-E motors, because i'm a kid (15) and only want to fly low-mid power, but i'd have to pay the amount an adult would play for high power!?!
either way, i still need to find some1 willing to drive me up there
:rolleyes:

Oh, that reminds me. Is there a vendors fee? I might wanna sell chutes and maybe kits there, but if theres a big fat vendors fee, forget it:mad:

Great... If its a biggun, I don got no chance... I guess Ill just be flying this time...:mad:

send them a request for information. At one point they wanted $200 for regular area (vendor row) and up to $500 for premium spots. I don't know about the premium, but they came down below $100 for vendor row. Still too high (in my mind), but *better*

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! Im just FLYING this year, OK!?

I would have to sell over 50 parachutes to come up with enough for a premium!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :kill: :kill: :kill: And we all know THAT aint gonna happen! I cant afford $500 to compete with high name-recognition places like Topflight!:eek: :kill:

Ill just stick to CMASS where there is no vendor fee, and tons of people who have just melted or shredded thier plastic chutes in some rocket or another and need replacements!:cool: Gotta love CMASS... Pretty soon Ill have name recognition at least *THERE*! (heck, I think I already do! After a few announcements by teh RSO on the loadspeaker while he was reading my flight card notes, I got quite faumous for a few minutes!:cool: second vendor at the launch! Me and jim! What fun!)

Yea, people are still complaining about the fee and rightfully so. It was WAY too stiff; I wondered how they came up with that as it was way out of line. Glad to see it's more in perspective so they must have heard enough complaints to do something about it...still, they could help the smaller vendors. I think alot of it has to do with the site, it's not very big and they want to have bases covered.

No matter what though, I am going to attend. I will probably keep all my big birds at home though as I don't want to risk all those "M" launches ending up in town. Still, I should have fun and get to meet a bunch of people. Hope to see you all there.

Carl

I hear over 20 other people think differently.... There are supposed to be over 20 M+ powerd flight this year!:cool: I have only seen two in my life! This will be SO STINKIN COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by rocketkid88
i really want to go, i'm still working on the details tho. I need to find out soon, tho, to get the early registration discount. but i also want to fly mostly F-G motors (b/c i cant fly them here), and i can't afford to foot the bill that that would ensue. (for kids and A-E motors its only $10 which i can afford, but $45!) I'm wondering y kids can only fly A-E motors, because i'm a kid (15) and only want to fly low-mid power, but i'd have to pay the amount an adult would play for high power!?!
either way, i still need to find some1 willing to drive me up there
:rolleyes:

Actually its $10 for kids flying BP A-E motors only. All non-kids and composite flyers pay the higher fees.

BTW I believe the standard fee is less than last years LDRS.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Oh, that reminds me. Is there a vendors fee? I might wanna sell chutes and maybe kits there, but if theres a big fat vendors fee, forget it:mad:

Neil:

There are 2 levels of vendors fees. A sponsorship level @ $500 and a standard vendor @ $75. BTW BRS is not getting rich off this we have to pay the land owner to use our field.

I understand that about 8 vendors have committed to the sponsor level. You should be able to down load a form this week from the LDRS site on vendors fees.

Most of the folks complaining about the fees have no idea of what it costs to build the support equipment for an LDRS. Got 50 launch pads? Or 4 24 pad launch control systems? Its not cheap.

LDRS is about flying. From what I've seen so far it should be a memorable event. Come on out and have a blast.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

$75 is much better, but I still cant afford it... Unless buisniss goes light-speed in the next 5 months.... Even if it DOES go to a good cause, I still cant afford it... Maybe in 2006 if its on the east side of the mississipi.:rolleyes:

Al,

Thank you for commenting on this. It is *so* easy to just fling out comments based on what folks have heard or read without any *real* data or information to back it up or help understand. Your response helps.

FlisKits is planning on coming out (we've yet to get our registration in, but... :) ), but that is only because of the reduction in price for vendor row. At the earlier quoted price we simply couldn't justify it.

Also, having hosted/run many convention i certainly do understand what it can cost to put together such a high profile event. The problems that we (FlisKits) were having is that it also costs a whole lot to get a vendor booth out to such an event and we need to take *that* into account along with all of the other events around the country that we want to be visible at. It makes for some tough calls sometimes.

The reduced prices really helped and is allowing us to come on out :)

jim

Originally posted by als57
Actually its $10 for kids flying BP A-E motors only. All non-kids and composite flyers pay the higher fees.
*the light comes on*, thanx for letting me know. now i get it, even if i wanted to fly a D composite i'd have to pay the higher fee.. well at least i understand now:rolleyes:
i'll just have to see if i can get who ever is taking me to chip in to the bill and then i'll offer to launch some of their rockets and they wont have to register as a flyer:D
hope to see you all there!! (and btw, i've never seen anything bigger than a G fly, so the M's sound totally cooool:kill:)

It might be interesting to have a car pool going... There are proabably not a lot of parents who WANT to drive 12-20 hours for thier kids rocket launch.... It might be a good idea to look into some carpooling. My dad has a pickup truck that we will be bringing to the launch. We *may* be able to fit one more person and one more persons rockets in there, I am not sure... My mom will be taking another car later (she has to see my sister off to Scotland for some summer program the day LDRS starts), so we could always load more stuff into her car, but we would have to wait a day or two to get it... The first day we would just be launching what we could fit into my dad's truck. I bet we could fit 20-35 rockets between 1.5 and 6" in diameter in there if we strung some string from the ceiling to cradle them...

I would still have to talk to my parents about this, but they picked up several of my sisters freinds no-questions-asked when SHE was my age, so I cant see why they would object.:rolleyes: So if your parents dont want to drive you, Rocketkid, we proabably have room for one more person in the truck. the backseat is rather uncomfortable, but it beats not going.... We could always bring some coushions, of course.... it would be best if your parents got you partway up north, say, to Massachussets.

Oh, we might also have Shannon with us... So we might have a dog in the back as well. Speakin of shannon, shes barking. Gotta go see what she needs. PM me later if you think this is a good idea. gotta run!

Originally posted by rocketkid88
hope to see you all there!! (and btw, i've never seen anything bigger than a G fly, so the M's sound totally cooool:kill:)

Then 100 M's might really blow you away!

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Originally posted by jflis
Al,

Thank you for commenting on this. It is *so* easy to just fling out comments based on what folks have heard or read without any *real* data or information to back it up or help understand. Your response helps.

FlisKits is planning on coming out (we've yet to get our registration in, but... :) ), but that is only because of the reduction in price for vendor row. At the earlier quoted price we simply couldn't justify it.

Also, having hosted/run many convention i certainly do understand what it can cost to put together such a high profile event. The problems that we (FlisKits) were having is that it also costs a whole lot to get a vendor booth out to such an event and we need to take *that* into account along with all of the other events around the country that we want to be visible at. It makes for some tough calls sometimes.

The reduced prices really helped and is allowing us to come on out :)

jim

I understand your concerns. And I believe the LDRS committee made a good adjustment to the vendor fees.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

100? WHOLLY COW! I heard "20"... Now yer sayin 100!? DRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100? WHOLLY COW! I heard "20"...DRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A day? Last LDRS flew about 110 M's acording to the information we were provided.

I'd be suprised if it was less here.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Back