LDRS Registration questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has it been determined whether or not it will be possible to camp at the field? i can't afford $80 a night for a room!

To all worried about the capabilities of the field in Geneseo,

Since I've been a member of the MARS Club starting in the year 2000, and having been at many launches with the club and with BRS who flys there as well, I've seen many M motors fly off this field. The field itself is farm land and there is approximately 400 to 500 acres of open fields, (IE; next to no trees on the field). This field has always had an 8000' waiver, which means that you get to see the whole flight, and this still makes it safe as far as the nearby town is concerned. The worst I've ever seen is an occational small rocket drifting onto the collage campus at the top of the hill. Which is just before the town. And that usually means that updrafts were involved in getting them there.

My first attempt for my Level 3 cert was on this field, and I seen many people achieve their Level 3's here too.
I myself plan on flying some M motors at LDRS, in fact I'm going to be trying to break a record there doing it. I'm still working out the details, but it is my intention to fly the same rocket four times, once a day with an M motor. I plan on useing two different M hybrids and two different ACPC motors too. Which ones are still part of the details I'm working on. Once I have all that done, I'll be contacting the LDRS BFR committee to inform them of the project.

The nice thing about flying an M off this field is for it to stay within the waiver, you get to see a lot of 'low and slow' M flights, generally under 6000' to 5000', some even lower. When watching an M build up and take the respective rocket up to a low altitude, it is quite an impressive event. You get to see, feel, hear the ROAR of the motor in ways that are not possible when you see an extreme altitude M flight. The extreme altitude flights are useing all their power to get the rocket off the pad as fast as possible to achieve the wanted altitude. Kind of like in the blink of the eye. Where as the lower altitude M's are useing all their power to get the rocket off the pad in a safe and stable manner and keep themselves below 8000'.

Just from being there myself, and seeing flights like this, I believe that everyone who attends LDRS 23, will go home with these M flights burned into their minds, and will start dreaming about how they themselves will achieve their own Level 3 accomplishment.
I know that's what I did.

Good luck, hope to see as many of you there as possible.

Mike Dutch
NAR #76705
TRA #07965
Level 3

What is the difference between the "commercial" days and the "ex" days....?

Originally posted by Adam Selene
Has it been determined whether or not it will be possible to camp at the field? i can't afford $80 a night for a room!

Adam:

Camping will be allowed on the field. There will be a fee for this ( which is given to the land owner ). I'm not sure what the fee is yet. I expect it will be posted on the LDRS site in the next week or two.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Originally posted by MDRocket

I believe that everyone who attends LDRS 23, will go home with these M flights burned into their minds, and will start dreaming about how they themselves will achieve their own Level 3 accomplishment.
I know that's what I did.

Good luck, hope to see as many of you there as possible.

Mike Dutch
NAR #76705
TRA #07965
Level 3

And N flights are even more impressive!!!!

Al

Originally posted by als57
Adam:

Camping will be allowed on the field. There will be a fee for this ( which is given to the land owner ). I'm not sure what the fee is yet. I expect it will be posted on the LDRS site in the next week or two.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

that's great! but now it leaves me with the question:
what will i miss by NOT being at the hotel? will all of the vendors be at the field or will some of them only be at the hotel?

Originally posted by MDRocket

The nice thing about flying an M off this field is for it to stay within the waiver, you get to see a lot of 'low and slow' M flights, generally under 6000' to 5000', some even lower. When watching an M build up and take the respective rocket up to a low altitude, it is quite an impressive event. You get to see, feel, hear the ROAR of the motor in ways that are not possible when you see an extreme altitude M flight. The extreme altitude flights are useing all their power to get the rocket off the pad as fast as possible to achieve the wanted altitude. Kind of like in the blink of the eye. Where as the lower altitude M's are useing all their power to get the rocket off the pad in a safe and stable manner and keep themselves below 8000'

Mike Dutch
NAR #76705
TRA #07965
Level 3

Can't wait to see those! i love low and slow flights but i've never seen one that big!

Originally posted by Adam Selene
that's great! but now it leaves me with the question:
what will i miss by NOT being at the hotel? will all of the vendors be at the field or will some of them only be at the hotel?

All of the vendors will be setup on the field to sell. There may be some activities at the hotel:D .

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Can you camp out at the launch site if you bring a tent?:D

Originally posted by Neil
Can you camp out at the launch site if you bring a tent?:D

As far as I know ; yes. You'll still have to pay the fee.

Al
BRS VP
LDRS 23 Hosts

Back