LDRS Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I am designing my LDRS project (my first one)!!! I have it right here in front of me. my MB1 with an adaptor to my Raptor. Should fly on a J redline to any 29MM H! or maybe just a G125. Who knows what will be availible. Looks pretty cool here. Really tall. Ill post a picture ASAP. All I need is a new case or two, a timer, and maybe a backup timer. It will exeed mach one with BOTH stages! This is gonna be so cool! This one was easy, so I have to get a bigger one to fly on an L or something for my second LDRS project. Suggestions for L powerd birds, please??

Sounds cool. Just remember, the waiver is only 8,000' at Geneseo, so you may run into troubles with that.

L Powered birds....I have a 7.5" going, maybe thats an idea. Those are big $$$;)

OK. I will have to downsize the motor in the booster. Maybe an I161W or an H210R. Or some other redline. I like redlines. I am looking at 4" thru 7.5" or something to fly on Ks and Ls. I want something long&majestic, like a LOC 1600 or longer. What I really want is a full-scale ASP, but no such luck so far. Ill keep looking, and maybe go scratch if neccesary. I know! Ill ask stephen boy.... He used one for his L3. Maybe he can give me the plans. That would be nice. It would be a piece of MEGA custom work for PML or LOC. Yeah. Ill ask him. Let me know if any of you know of any long (ASP size or similar) 5-10" rockets. Thanks. -Neil

I am going to start saving my pennies for THIS BAD BOY !!!!!!!! 7.5" dimeter, can use Ks, Ls, and even Ms for my L3 cert (puttin the cart before the horse, as I always do)! Thats what i am gettin! Unless I get a good price on that 5.5" ASP from Rocket R&D. But I think that Smoke gets it! COME TO PAPA!!!! I would rant on about this rocket forever, but I have to unplug the computer because we have an open house today. I cant wait to sell this place. We show it 3 times a day, I swear! Its crazy! Now we have to be out of the house for an entire day! Ugh. See you. Hope you have more fun than I do!

Now remember, when you are old enough for a L3, I think you need to talk to the TAP comitte before you build the rocket, then you have to document everything you do, TAP comitte may want to look at your progress. So, if you have a rocket that is capable for L3 cert... if you build it now... it would not qualify for a L3 cert flight... though nothing says you can't use an M in it once you get your L3...

Don't rush into anything my friend. M motors are serious power. Take your time, learn new techniques with the smaller birds. What works now for the smaller, thinner rocket, may not work for the power and might of a M motor...

1500th post ;)

Cool Man Smokes are awsome. Good luck it will be awsome!!

Originally posted by Neil
I am designing my LDRS project (my first one)!!! I have it right here in front of me. my MB1 with an adaptor to my Raptor. Should fly on a J redline to any 29MM H! or maybe just a G125. Who knows what will be availible. Looks pretty cool here. Really tall. Ill post a picture ASAP. All I need is a new case or two, a timer, and maybe a backup timer. It will exeed mach one with BOTH stages! This is gonna be so cool! This one was easy, so I have to get a bigger one to fly on an L or something for my second LDRS project. Suggestions for L powerd birds, please??

Keep in mind that LDRS 2004 in Geneseo, NY will likely have only about a 10K ceiling (my guess) and although the field is huge by eastern standards, it is not the Black Rock Desert.

I have my fingers crossed that perhaps a higher ceiling might be possible but have never seen one at Geneseo. It is a great field to fly from!

Murray

I heard 8K was the usual waiver. We have a PERFECT blueberry barren in northern maine that we can fly to 18K in. Its great. We rarely launch because everyone in the club is usually busy. THere are only about two dozen members.

The waiver probably won't be higher than 8,000 feet. There is a town at the downwind end of the field. Occasionally they have something land over there. They really don't want anyone flying over 8,000 feet.

Neil, it's good to see you have big plans, but level 3 is not something that should be taken lightly. I know this from experience. I tried to rush my level 3 and ended up failing. Then I tried to rush the second attempt and failed again. Make sure you have plenty of flights under your belt before you try. Also, don't set a deadline for yourself. I set a deadline because this was my last flying season for a while. You don't want to rush it. If it's not quite ready for the last launch of the season, wait till the next year. I made quite a few mistakes and I learned from them. I also spent over $1,500 to make those mistakes. :rolleyes:

*soapbox mode off*

Originally posted by LampertRocketry
Keep in mind that LDRS 2004 in Geneseo, NY will likely have only about a 10K ceiling (my guess) and although the field is huge by eastern standards, it is not the Black Rock Desert.

I have my fingers crossed that perhaps a higher ceiling might be possible but have never seen one at Geneseo. It is a great field to fly from!

Murray

The expected waiver for LDRS 23 in Geneseo will be 8000' AGL. While it's possible that we might get windows for a higher altitude... I wouldn't count on it.

cheetahanim.gif

D Caskey aka Cheetah
LDRS23 BFR Committee Chair

Pretty darn hard for me to rush, as I have 6 more years before I can even do L1!!! ;) I decided to go with a Rocket R&D 4" ASP, because the Smoke was just too darn expensive. I just cant do 750 dollars. Impossible. With the ASP, it is down to $450 for the rocket, a MAD unit, a Transolve timer, a J135, a case for the J135, and some glue and BP holders. I already have the RCC2X in my room, so that takes a lot off. Has anyone made the ASP rocket from R&D? Thanks. -Neil

Wait a sec, are you the guy who had that chute delayed so you could not do L3, but then it came, you rushed to get it in or something and it crashed, or something like that? and then that shred? was that you? That was a pretty nasty shred, whoever it was. Ouch.

Yeah, I was the guy that rushed through everything. The rocket was all ready to go when i thought the parachute wasn't going to be here. When I go the chute I didn't need to rush. I just overlooked a few things on launch day. I didn't use a big enough main charge and I forgot to put a pilot chute on the nosecone. If I had put the pilot chute on, I would be level 3 right now. Oh, well.:rolleyes:

Take your time. Do things right. Use a CHECKLIST!! I didn't. I forgot things.

Whats a pilot chute? I have heard of drouges, I have heard of mains, but never pilot chutes. What are those? I will have 6 years to make myself a checklist, and to make the rocket, so I dont think I will rush THIS project.

Originally posted by Cheetah
The expected waiver for LDRS 23 in Geneseo will be 8000' AGL. While it's possible that we might get windows for a higher altitude... I wouldn't count on it.

cheetahanim.gif

D Caskey aka Cheetah
LDRS23 BFR Committee Chair

Nice to see you over here Doug.

Al :D
BRS BOD Member-at-large

Looked at those. I actually might change my mind again and buy thier 5.5" Smoke. Who knows.

A pilot chute is a small parachute that pulls out a larger parachute. In this instance, I would have put it on the nosecone, so when the nosecone comes off, the pilot chute pulls the main out of the body tube.

you also might want to have a look at the skunkworks nike. its a bit cheaper, and not as strong as the fiberglass one from performance, but it still it really tough. check it out: www.skunkworksrocketry.com

Interesting. Never heard of that. I also saw the Skunkworks site. Pretty good looking rockets. still rather expesnive compared to R&D stuff, though. I wonder what the quality of those are like.... Maybe I will just go with the Smoke from Skunkworks because I know they are good. I dont think I can afford the Performance one. If only I could afford $750, I could get that big one. If only if only. 5.5" is still pretty good, though. Still pretty pricy.... Oh well. Welcome to the world of HPR, I guess.....

Trust me, you wont be disappointed. It comes standard with a 54mm mount plenty long enough for K700 or the 835cc hybrid system. If you want, you coula have Andy make it with a 75mm mount. It does 13,000 feet on an M1315!

Originally posted by Neil
Looked at those. I actually might change my mind again and buy thier 5.5" Smoke. Who knows.

Saw the 5.5" Nike Smoke kit at one of our launches. Great cone , filiment wound G10 body tube , & carbon fiber fin can. Can you say I want it. Just didn't have the $300.

BTW: Try Skunk Works Rocketry. They also have an interesting looking NS kit.

Al;)

Unfortuantely, I dont have $300 either. I am going to take a shot at a scratch built PVC rocket.

I just spent 15 bucks (yes, $15, 15 bucks, 15 dollars, equal to 15 one dollar bills. That little. I know) on a 7' section of 4" diameter PVC pipe, and PVC materials for a nose cone. I can make a nose cone out of PVC adaptors. My dad can do the fin slots, cut the fins, bulkheads, centering rings and all other wooden components, and all I have to buy are some couplers and maybe an electronics bay!!! The whole thing willl be VERY inexpensive, toataling out at about $60 AT MOST. The thing will weigh about 30 dry, and fly on an AMW K1075GG. It will go roughly 3K. Does anyone know about attendance fees, flight fees and other stuff like that at LDRS? Thanks. -Neil

Oh yeah. I also need a 3" dimeter tube for the motor mount. PVC melts. I need something made of paper. If anyone knows of cheap paper tubes, let me know. Does home depot have anything like that?

Back