LDRS 41

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking forward to the launch. Tripoli Wisconsin did a great job the previous time they hosted LDRS.
Driving home from Lucerne this morning we are making plans. Keep it below 10k and waterproof is good.
My wife is excited about going as she is from Milwaukee. Not dusty
26 hours, 1800 miles.
M

1 hr, 50 minute flight or a 13hr drive at $5.00/gallon for me
Best check on the availability of rental cars at the destination. I'm making a long (for me) road trip, end of this month, about 3500 miles. I could fly part of it which would cut down time by over two days...but $350 to rent a car at that end IF one is available, plus shipping charges for rockets, plus shipping them back, and packaging them at each end... not to mention the two-hour drive to the nearest decent-sized airport (Nashville), plus parking charges there...

Throw in the fact that when driving I can leave whenever I want and (mostly) stay in one place as long as I want, and now the cost of gasoline isn't as big of a deal as it could be.

Which campsite would be better, Sunrise or Sunset?
Edit..I assume no camping at the actual launch site.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the launch. Tripoli Wisconsin did a great job the previous time they hosted LDRS.
Driving home from Lucerne this morning we are making plans. Keep it below 10k and waterproof is good.
26 hours, 1800 miles.
M

Wait.

I may need to rethink my plans to attend....

26 hours, 1800 miles.
M

Attachments

• 630bc231b2c3319190b80b6f575501cb.jpg
    630bc231b2c3319190b80b6f575501cb.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
So I've been lucky enough to be flying at Bong for better part of 25 years. I was 12 when I went there for the first time in October of 95. Bong is very familiar to me, but to others that have not yet been, you really need to go there an experience it for yourself.

This morning, I snapped some photos that might add a little context for folks that want to come for LDRS next year. View from northeast corner of Bong, then looking west on 142 towards the main entrance:DSC_7697.JPGDSC_7698.JPGDSC_7699.JPGDSC_7700.JPGDSC_7701.JPG

Last edited:
Notice the value of buying the 2023 annual Wisconsin State Parks sticker for your vehicle. Drive in, stay on the right hand side, through the gate in seconds. After the first of the year, buy the annual sticker, they mail it to your home. Get the yearly pass, make sure you are covered for the full duration of the event. The pass good for ALL WI state parks, not just Bong.... :)
DSC_7702.JPGDSC_7703.JPGDSC_7704.JPGDSC_7705.JPGDSC_7706.JPG

Back