LDRS 41

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI, my 2023 WI state park sticker arrived today. It was ordered Monday the 16th, so plan on a week or more for the physical sticker to arrive once ordered online. (But for any stragglers who order it last-minute, you can show them the confirmation email if your sticker doesn’t arrive in time.)
Another order data point, I ordered mine January 23rd, received January 30th. If you know you are coming, order them now, its going to be 2023 the rest of the year.... ;)

Another order data point, I ordered mine January 23rd, received January 30th. If you know you are coming, order them now, its going to be 2023 the rest of the year.... ;)
Same, same me.... actually a day faster.

Ordered 24th, received yesterday on 30th. Very efficient, but I'd do it now and not push it during the season.

Why are we anxious to register? Is there a limited number of spots available?:headspinning:

Last edited:
I think I was the guinea pig on 2/1 for registration. Registration had gone live Wednesday afternoon on the website when I pulled it up, so I filled out my information and it asked for payment info. I never received a follow-up email, and my card has not been charged 48hrs later. I think we need to give them some time to work on the website and get everything working properly. We/they have plenty of time. :)

schneijt has the reason I'm asking. Yes I know it's all volunteers, My year is getting busy, just trying to make sure I'm getting signed up for the various rocket launches for this season. LDRS 41, Mini Midwest Power, ThunderStruck, and the launch in Michigan at Three Oaks (Dave), etc. I'm willing to wait, just asking for my own info. Greg Olson

FYI, I highly recommend using trackers at Bong. By July, the vegetation is tall and green, and there are a nice variety of recovery hazards. Trees, swamps, prairie, marshes, thickets, drainage ditches, and just outside the park, corn fields.

FYI, I highly recommend using trackers at Bong. By July, the vegetation is tall and green, and there are a nice variety of recovery hazards. Trees, swamps, prairie, marshes, thickets, drainage ditches, and just outside the park, corn fields.
At least the apple trees are short enough to reach the top with a ladder.

+1 on the tracker recommendation. A bit of history... Bong originally was cleared and leveled to be an Air Force interceptor base in the cold war. When construction was abandoned, the state took it over as a wilderness area. Every year there are more trees, bigger trees, and closer trees. Compare these vintage photos to the current Google Earth satellite view. It really isn't very far to the tree line, so windage is important. There is a lot of water, too. So we lose a few. But it's close and flat, and we get to fly year round (more frequently than waiting for crops to be harvested here in corn country).

52530-87bd9bcf6ca251750bfd82396946b554.data.jpeg

52531-ab137fe9ffd96af749b7adfaaf6a0ca0.data.jpeg

I just tried registering and the only payment option I was given was to pay by check.

Are there any alternative payment options, or do I need to figure out where my checks are?

-Kevin

I’m really hoping to be able to attend LDRS 41. I look forward to seeing old friends (like you, Terry) and making new ones. Lack of a high altitude waiver is probably the worst reason to miss LDRS. Any rocket is capable of flying low.
Thank you for the encouragement,
Love to say hi to ya at LDRS

I can attest to that....
We searched for my sons
White & Black V2 model for
three days .
Never saw it until my wife literally almost stepped on it.

Just registered and bought plane tickets. Mostly going to hang out with a bunch of fliers I've met online in the area. Probably just going to throw together a simple rocket or two onsite and see how many flights I can get in.

Just registered and bought plane tickets. Mostly going to hang out with a bunch of fliers I've met online in the area. Probably just going to throw together a simple rocket or two onsite and see how many flights I can get in.

I have a friend who has a smallish rocket that he flies with him. Carries it through the airport with the fincan sticking up out of his backpack.

He gets a few questions, but doesn't have any issues getting it through security.

I know someone else who used to ship rockets to his hotel.

Lots of options! Whatever you do, have fun!

I'm planning to go and not fly anything. But I do plan to be as big a pain to @jd2cylman as possible, though.

I’m very excited to share that together, Art Hoag and myself will be returning a very special rocket to the skies at LDRS.

IMG_4218.jpeg

The Gates Brothers Full-Scale AQM-37A Jayhawk first flew in 2001 at LDRS 20 at Lucerne in California. After three total flights (NSL 2002 and BALLS 2002) it is time to give it flight number 4 over 20 years later.

With dual 98mm motor mounts, we’ve decided to keep it old school and fly it on a pair of Aerotech M2500Ts, identical to the first flight. An altitude of 3,000ft is expected, with an ARRD releasing the twin 26ft main parachutes at 1,500ft.

Jayhawk, 1st Flight, In Flight.jpeg

Art and I are very excited to get this rocket back in the air, and I know that many rocketeers around in the early 2000s will have stories to tell about the first time they saw the Jayhawk fly, or other Erik and Dirk stories. Please come over to our Rocket garden and share those stories. Personally, I wasn’t around the hobby then, but I love hearing stories from folks that were.

If you’ve got a smaller Jayhawk, bring it over and we’ll take a group photo.

Look forward to seeing lots of friends and meeting new ones out in Wisconsin!

I’m very excited to share that together, Art Hoag and myself will be returning a very special rocket to the skies at LDRS.

View attachment 589454

The Gates Brothers Full-Scale AQM-37A Jayhawk first flew in 2001 at LDRS 20 at Lucerne in California. After three total flights (NSL 2002 and BALLS 2002) it is time to give it flight number 4 over 20 years later.

With dual 98mm motor mounts, we’ve decided to keep it old school and fly it on a pair of Aerotech M2500Ts, identical to the first flight. An altitude of 3,000ft is expected, with an ARRD releasing the twin 26ft main parachutes at 1,500ft.

View attachment 589455

Art and I are very excited to get this rocket back in the air, and I know that many rocketeers around in the early 2000s will have stories to tell about the first time they saw the Jayhawk fly, or other Erik and Dirk stories. Please come over to our Rocket garden and share those stories. Personally, I wasn’t around the hobby then, but I love hearing stories from folks that were.

If you’ve got a smaller Jayhawk, bring it over and we’ll take a group photo.

Look forward to seeing lots of friends and meeting new ones out in Wisconsin!
Awesome!

This is very cool @bandman444! If you and Art need someone to help out at the pad, provided it's not during a time when I'm working range duty, I'm more than happy to help.

-Kevin

If I could only make it one day, which would be best (aside from weather)?

Last edited:
If I could only make it one day, which would be best (aside from weather)? This is a new experience for me.

You're asking a question that nobody can answer, because nobody can predict what'll fly on what day, or how many flights there will be any given day.

Pick a day, come out, meet people, have fun.

I’m really hoping to be able to attend LDRS 41. I look forward to seeing old friends (like you, Terry) and making new ones. Lack of a high altitude waiver is probably the worst reason to miss LDRS. Any rocket is capable of flying low.

Steve,

I'd like to express my thanks again for your help applying for my first FAA Waiver couple years back.
I had some pretty cool flights of my Sa-14 Archer in South Dakota. I am going to attempt my LVL2 Cert on Thursday-ish
I look forward to hopefully meeting you and shaking your hand at LDRS41 !

If I could only make it one day, which would be best (aside from weather)?
Since you said “aside from the weather” I would suggest one of the middle days, such as Friday or Saturday. They usually have the most interesting flights. Also, look and see when TRATech is because even if the weather turns bad TRATech will be fascinating.

Back