LDRS 41

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I just looked this up. I'm in New Jersey, this is a 14hr drive, but, I've done long drives in the past, this shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'm not going to fly, I just want to attend and watch the fireworks. What do I need to know? I assume there's an entrance fee, but what do I need to know as a spectator other than drink plenty of fluids and bring a folding chair? Thanks!!

Ok, I just looked this up. I'm in New Jersey, this is a 14hr drive, but, I've done long drives in the past, this shouldn't be that much of an issue. I'm not going to fly, I just want to attend and watch the fireworks. What do I need to know? I assume there's an entrance fee, but what do I need to know as a spectator other than drink plenty of fluids and bring a folding chair? Thanks!!

1) Insect repellent. There are a lot of ticks.
2) There's a hard cidery 1 mile away that will be offering discounts based on impulse flown.

1) Insect repellent. There are a lot of ticks.
Wear long sleeves and long pants and treat them with permethrin beforehand. Tuck your pants into your socks. As long as you don't care about your look, it's the best way to avoid ticks. Lyme disease sucks, so it's worth it to me.

Yes, there is a state park fee at the entrance. Hotels on interstate 94 and Hwy 50 are only 2-8 years old and clean. But don’t hold that to me.
Bring a chair, shade or sun screen, sign up to volunteer your time or just watch a good old fashion high power rocket launch.

Yes, there is a state park fee at the entrance. Hotels on interstate 94 and Hwy 50 are only 2-8 years old and clean. But don’t hold that to me.
Bring a chair, shade or sun screen, sign up to volunteer your time or just watch a good old fashion high power rocket launch.
Speaking of camping, all the state park fill up quickly. You should make your reservation for the launch now. If you wait till spring it, you might not get a site.

RandyL

Even if you don't plan to fly anything, consider registering for the event - it helps the host club cover the costs of putting on the event, as well as any facilities (portapotties, etc) they may need to bring in.

I'm playing it safe. Me and my sister have both reserved campsites already. Right now there are plenty available, but I didn't feel like playing "site lottery"! We are in sites 223 & 224 (Sunrise, electric) if anyone wants to join us to take over a "rocket camping area"? Potluck dinners and Happy Hours may occur!

I'm pretty sure that body of water wasn't there 10 years ago...
If you are referring to the water retention ponds right near where the LCO/RSO/Pads are located, your memory serves you well. The JJ parking lot and new launch location were installed in 2013/2014 if my own recollection is accurate. Assuming you are referring to these pics below?
Capture1.JPGCapture2.JPGCapture3.JPG

I'm playing it safe. Me and my sister have both reserved campsites already. Right now there are plenty available, but I didn't feel like playing "site lottery"! We are in sites 223 & 224 (Sunrise, electric) if anyone wants to join us to take over a "rocket camping area"? Potluck dinners and Happy Hours may occur!
Interesting, the web site won't let me make a reservation until tomorrow. What days did you reserve for? TIA

Interesting, the web site won't let me make a reservation until tomorrow. What days did you reserve for? TIA
We are arriving on the 3rd. This allows us to reserve thru the event. Also, we can go celebrate the fourth somewhere, perhaps Kenosha? Note, you can always cancel the dates prior to the event and get your money back.

That's a lot of trees.... I'll stick to the the flat dry lakebeds of the southwest. It is a nice looking park though.

10k waiver is great IMHO. Low and slow; if the rockets are big enough I'll be able to see most/all of the flight! Assuming of course that my d**n eye floaters will stand still for just a few seconds....
I’m really hoping to be able to attend LDRS 41. I look forward to seeing old friends (like you, Terry) and making new ones. Lack of a high altitude waiver is probably the worst reason to miss LDRS. Any rocket is capable of flying low.

EDIT: I'm in. Campsite at Sunrise. Bringing the TT/Toy Hauler..... and hopefully my darling wife.... if she doesn't divorce me first! ;)

Hmmmmm.... 13 hrs, 58 minutes..... 2 days minimum.

BUT, it just so happens that we spend our July 4th holidays near Bethalto/Dorsey/Staunton, IL..... literally on the route from my house to Bong....

Seems like a sign! I must go to LDRS 41! :D

We'll have the TT/Toy Hauler for the 4th anyway..... Perfect setup...

Last edited:
EDIT: I'm in. Campsite at Sunrise. Bringing the TT/Toy Hauler..... and hopefully my darling wife.... if she doesn't divorce me first! ;)

Hmmmmm.... 13 hrs, 58 minutes..... 2 days minimum.

BUT, it just so happens that we spend our July 4th holidays near Bethalto/Dorsey/Staunton, IL..... literally on the route from my house to Bong....

Seems like a sign! I must go to LDRS 41! :D

We'll have the TT/Toy Hauler for the 4th anyway..... Perfect setup...
I'll have to try that too. Long trip from VA, but I have lots of family in NE Wisconsin so might have to spend a week or three up that way with the TT.

I didn't fly anything, but brought a lot of family down to the last LDRS so they could see what my "rockets" were all about. Might have to have them all down this time too.

Notice the value of buying the 2023 annual Wisconsin State Parks sticker for your vehicle. Drive in, stay on the right hand side, through the gate in seconds. After the first of the year, buy the annual sticker, they mail it to your home. Get the yearly pass, make sure you are covered for the full duration of the event. The pass good for ALL WI state parks, not just Bong.... :)
View attachment 526865View attachment 526866View attachment 526867View attachment 526868View attachment 526869
Folks, order your 2023 vehicle stickers here: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/admission

Careful, select WI resident or non-resident depending...

Folks, order your 2023 vehicle stickers here: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/parks/admission

Careful, select WI resident or non-resident depending...

Am I correct in interpretation of the sticker rules?

If I show up from Louisiana with my truck and bumper pulled travel trailer, I need an out-of-state sticker affixed to truck windshield (sticker's adhesive), and I get "free" daily sticker(s) for the trailer?

I don't want to mess up or cause anyone stress.... especially me. :)

Am I correct in interpretation of the sticker rules?

If I show up from Louisiana with my truck and bumper pulled travel trailer, I need an out-of-state sticker affixed to truck windshield (sticker's adhesive), and I get "free" daily sticker(s) for the trailer?

I don't want to mess up or cause anyone stress.... especially me. :)
Clay, sorry I have no experience to share on trailers. If you reach out to any WI State Park/DNR they should be able to clarify.

Best,

I donno...Looks like its just on the east side of the park. Pretty sure they don't send the exact address until I make final payment or a week or so before or something like that.

FYI, my 2023 WI state park sticker arrived today. It was ordered Monday the 16th, so plan on a week or more for the physical sticker to arrive once ordered online. (But for any stragglers who order it last-minute, you can show them the confirmation email if your sticker doesn’t arrive in time.)

Back