LDRS 41 Official Information thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any body from the WOOSH Club
that is attending LDRS.....or any other
LvL 2/3 on the Forum who is
attending, that I can talk to about
a possible CERT attempt. ? 😁

Yes. I’m an L2, but I don’t know which days I’ll be there. I’m sure there will be plenty of options.

I'm assuming a NAR cert? If so, I plan to be there pretty much the entire event and can help you out.

You looking to do L1 or L2?

-Kevin

I'm assuming a NAR cert? If so, I plan to be there pretty much the entire event and can help you out.

You looking to do L1 or L2?

-Kevin
Thank You Kevin,

Yes NAR LVL 2 Attempt if I get done what I need.
Decided to apply the "KISS" principle again and not do Dual deployment with the Charges
until I get experience in that realm. I will set it up as Motor Eject with a Chute Release.

The model is built just have lot more finish work to do.....
And of course Pass the Test .....

Paul

Thank You Kevin,

Yes NAR LVL 2 Attempt if I get done what I need.
Decided to apply the "KISS" principle again and not do Dual deployment with the Charges
until I get experience in that realm. I will set it up as Motor Eject with a Chute Release.

The model is built just have lot more finish work to do.....
And of course Pass the Test .....

Paul

I assume you'll need both the test and the flight? I can bring a copy of the tests with me (though reminding me a couple days before wouldn't be a bad idea).

-Kevin

Anybody know how long the 1010 launch rails are at Bong ??
I am concerned that my 90" model won't have enough rail.
The rail guides are about 15" apart and the lower guide is quite
low on the model. My own rail is 8 feet and I am not
quite convinced that is long enough.

I’m pretty sure they have some 8’ rails. I’m also pretty sure QCRC will be bringing some of our equipment up, and almost all our rails are 8’

Skimming your build thread, I see you didn't use conventional round buttons. While a single button of the style you used isn't going to handle a lot of leverage, it's still less prone to pivoting on a single button that the conventional round ones are.

That said, I see where you've been looking at balancing velocity versus altitude. Stable flight should win out in that debate, unless you're at risk of violating the waiver, in which case the waiver always wins.

I think you said previously that you plan to use a chute release, so you'll get your main out at a lower altitude. Beg/Borrow a tracker of some sort, and give it the motor required to be stable.

Another option is a test flight with a Level 1 motor with dual deployment, and if all goes well there, fly electronics for your Level 2.

-Kevin

Kevin,

Are you saying that rail guide choice as good thing? I honestly just felt the long heavy model deserved a nicer rail guide.
My original plan WAS to test fly it last October-November. That did not happen and I now am still finishing it.
I have several reasons to just go simple for the Cert..... That being said...It will have the RRC2+ altimeter and a BRB900 tracker on board.
As for your other part..... The waiver is NOT a concern. I have Zero interest in going that high for my Cert. I'd like to stay <4000 ft
I have landed my LVL 1 SA-14 Archer in the water @ Bong and I really don't want to do that again....
The Chute I have for this one is a 72" Apollo version from Rocketman. This build is tall and (at least, I think) heavy, I am not sure what
the average weight of a LVL2 model is. But to me this one seems heavy !
I want at least 33-34 MPH off the rail. I know there are MANY, MANY Fellow rocketeers here with **** ton more experience than I ...
Safety is my biggest concern..... maybe I am being to worried....

I don't know that the rail guides you chose are any better or worse, they just are. And in your desire to limit velocity, they may provide a very small benefit to you.

Your challenge is you need a Level 2 motor that meets two criteria you've set for yourself, and those are a bit in conflict with one another. First, you want limited velocity off the rail - this means a longer burn time. Second, you want to limit altitude, for which a longer burn time is going to conflict with that.

Are you willing to share your sim file with me, as well as the motors you're considering? I might be able to offer some additional suggestions, but without a sim file, I'm shooting a bit blind.

-Kevin

Keven Did I miss speak......... I do not want a limited velocity off the rail......... I want 34 MPH Minimum so its fast enough to be safe.
I understood for some time that 31MPH is like bare minimum standard. The CTI J295 I have on order, provides that 5:1 ratio I want.
Even Thrust Curve listed it as a usable choice for my model. Tonight I am going to weigh it, and see how close the Rock Sim weight is to the real thing.

If you would like ...I am happy to share check your message

I'll take a peek at the files and provide further commentary.

And it's quite possible I just misunderstood. :)

What is the schedule for each day? I'm wondering when flying starts and ends each day, and if there are any scheduled special events during any of the flying days. I looked on the LDRS website but couldn't find these details.

I'm not sure of the status of available camp sites, but one with electricity (220) just opened up; I had to cancel mine.

Question on the Altitude Contest #1 - objective states "use Aerotech G80-4T, G80-7T, G80-10T, or G80-13T" - so we CAN'T use the Aerotech G80-14T DMS motor?

I just registered for LDRS and apparently I elected to pay by check. No address was apparent. Do I pay when I get there, or is there an address to send the check?

Thanks!
Terry

I just registered for LDRS and apparently I elected to pay by check. No address was apparent. Do I pay when I get there, or is there an address to send the check?

Thanks!
Terry
What’s a check? :)

Fx Check GIF by Snowfall

What’s a check? :)
Being serious for a moment...Had to get the credit card company involved in two transactions with companies that appear to make cancellation of a payment difficult/impossible, and that's two times too often. Of course LDRS 41 wouldn't be a problem but I tend to go with checks when it's practical to do so; most of my bills are paid by check now. Plus, it means that LDRS 41 gets the entire amount, no deduction for Paypal or credit card fees. Every little bit helps.

Being serious for a moment...Had to get the credit card company involved in two transactions with companies that appear to make cancellation of a payment difficult/impossible, and that's two times too often. Of course LDRS 41 wouldn't be a problem but I tend to go with checks when it's practical to do so; most of my bills are paid by check now. Plus, it means that LDRS 41 gets the entire amount, no deduction for Paypal or credit card fees. Every little bit helps.
Terry

You can send the check to

Randy Lutz
915 Wilson Ave
Sheboygan, WI

Back