LDRS 40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For some reason putting in a bid for LDRS is always kept a big secret.
When we (Tripoli Gerlach) did it we told everyone.
I would think promoting the bid and getting people who want it at whatever location and letting the BoD know would help the cause.
I hear all the time why isn't LDRS held East, West, North, South, some state....... The reason is a club in the area didn't put in a bid. We wanted to do it at Black Rock so a prefecture was created for it, Tripoli Gerlach.

M

Last edited:
I would think promoting the bid and getting people who want it at whatever location and letting the BoD know would help the cause.
I hear all the time why isn't LDRS held East, West, North, South, some state....... The reason is a club in the area didn't put in a bid. We wanted to do it at Black Rock so a prefecture was created for it, Tripoli Gerlach.

M

I agree, Mark!

M
I don’t think it’s a matter of keeping it a secret but rather, for some clubs, getting landowner permissions, securing food vendor and hotel commitments takes a bunch of time and effort before you are ready to submit your bid. By keeping quiet, you delay the mind numbing number of questions posed to the hosting prefecture once it is made public. No need answering all of those emails and phone calls until the bid is awarded.

In some cases the announcement has been delayed, for example when LDRS was held early in the year. I think announcing it at the banquet has outlived its usefulness. Most people, even those attending LDRS, don't go to the banquet. It it can now be announced on-line as soon as it is decided. No need to wait.

One reason not to announce next year’s location before this year’s event is out of respect for this year’s hosts. They put in a ton of work preparing a bid and then many more times that much work getting everything ready. We wouldn’t want to detract from the excitement focused on their event. Plus announcing it at the banquet has been
The other reason is that we often don’t know until right beforehand. In fact at LDRS 36 we couldn’t announce it because we didn’t know yet. LDRS was held early in the year and no bids had come in yet.
We don’t have a bid yet for LDRS 40 but it’s still early.

One reason not to announce next year’s location before this year’s event is out of respect for this year’s hosts. They put in a ton of work preparing a bid and then many more times that much work getting everything ready. We wouldn’t want to detract from the excitement focused on their event.

This right here is, to me, one of the most important reasons.

It would be tremendously disrespectful to a Prefecture that's working hard to host an LDRS to start announcing the next one before theirs is completed.

I just saw on the UROC website that the administrators are stating that LDSR-39 is still on schedule. The feeling is that in about 2 months the Covid-19 close-down will have passed with plenty of time to hold LDSR-39 as normal. More information can be found at the UROC website listed below. If registrants are concerned about signing up in advance, refunds will be available up to July 14th.

https://www.uroc.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=591702&module_id=365434

Would love to go and do my level 2 certification but I think work will keep me away based on the insanity going on now.
Thank you for the folks that pointed me in the right direction about LDRS 39. Now that LDRS 39 is over has LDRS 40 been announced? I was not able to make it this year due to work once again but would love to try for 2022!

Does anyone know where and when LDRS 40 will be?

Thank you for the folks that pointed me in the right direction about LDRS 39. Now that LDRS 39 is over has LDRS 40 been announced? I was not able to make it this year due to work once again but would love to try for 2022!

Does anyone know where and when LDRS 40 will be?
LDRS is the also the location of the annual meeting for Tripoli Rocketry Association. As such, you can always find a link to the next LDRS on the www.Tripoli.org website. The link will appear in a banner or alternating inset article at the bottom of the homepage.

LDRS 40 is moving Lucerne Dry Lake in southern California, hosted by the Rocketry Organization of California (ROC). The dates will remain the same, June 9-12, 2022.

The national news is showing now as cases are sky rocketing like the front face of Mount Everest, when you look at the charts, and you have lots of countries now that are going back into complete lockdown so lots of launches may not happen.

The national news is showing now as cases are sky rocketing like the front face of Mount Everest, when you look at the charts, and you have lots of countries now that are going back into complete lockdown so lots of launches may not happen.
I’m over it and willing to go. It’s an outdoor activity and believe in individual responsibility for one’s own safety.

Does anyone know if there's going to be any adjustment to ROC's normal waiver for LDRS? A 15k waiver with an M single impulse limit seems kinda restrictive/tame for LDRS

Does anyone know if there's going to be any adjustment to ROC's normal waiver for LDRS? A 15k waiver with an M single impulse limit seems kinda restrictive/tame for LDRS

I agree, will limiting total impulse to a M motor still apply?

Back