LDRS 40

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Any ideas who will host and where? Moving to the East Coast and altitude restrictions are tight.

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
When will that be? Link if you have one. I am obviously out of the loop; I've been working overseas for awhile. Thank you in advance for the help.
Won't be announced until LDRS 39 banquet.

MClark

Reaction score
For some reason putting in a bid for LDRS is always kept a big secret.
When we (Tripoli Gerlach) did it we told everyone.
I would think promoting the bid and getting people who want it at whatever location and letting the BoD know would help the cause.
I hear all the time why isn't LDRS held East, West, North, South, some state....... The reason is a club in the area didn't put in a bid. We wanted to do it at Black Rock so a prefecture was created for it, Tripoli Gerlach.

M

Last edited:

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would think promoting the bid and getting people who want it at whatever location and letting the BoD know would help the cause.
I hear all the time why isn't LDRS held East, West, North, South, some state....... The reason is a club in the area didn't put in a bid. We wanted to do it at Black Rock so a prefecture was created for it, Tripoli Gerlach.

M
I agree, Mark!

BBrown

Kloudbuster Prefect
Reaction score

M
I don’t think it’s a matter of keeping it a secret but rather, for some clubs, getting landowner permissions, securing food vendor and hotel commitments takes a bunch of time and effort before you are ready to submit your bid. By keeping quiet, you delay the mind numbing number of questions posed to the hosting prefecture once it is made public. No need answering all of those emails and phone calls until the bid is awarded.

jimn

Reaction score
In some cases the announcement has been delayed, for example when LDRS was held early in the year. I think announcing it at the banquet has outlived its usefulness. Most people, even those attending LDRS, don't go to the banquet. It it can now be announced on-line as soon as it is decided. No need to wait.

prfesser

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I would suggest leaving the announcement up to the winning bidder. Some may have no issues with immediate announcement, others may be working on various aspects of the bid, right up to LDRS, and don't need the hassle.

Best -- Terry

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One reason not to announce next year’s location before this year’s event is out of respect for this year’s hosts. They put in a ton of work preparing a bid and then many more times that much work getting everything ready. We wouldn’t want to detract from the excitement focused on their event. Plus announcing it at the banquet has been
The other reason is that we often don’t know until right beforehand. In fact at LDRS 36 we couldn’t announce it because we didn’t know yet. LDRS was held early in the year and no bids had come in yet.
We don’t have a bid yet for LDRS 40 but it’s still early.

troj

Wielder Of the Skillet Of Harsh Discipline, Potent
Reaction score
One reason not to announce next year’s location before this year’s event is out of respect for this year’s hosts. They put in a ton of work preparing a bid and then many more times that much work getting everything ready. We wouldn’t want to detract from the excitement focused on their event.
This right here is, to me, one of the most important reasons.

It would be tremendously disrespectful to a Prefecture that's working hard to host an LDRS to start announcing the next one before theirs is completed.

aerostadt

Lifetime Supporter
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just saw on the UROC website that the administrators are stating that LDSR-39 is still on schedule. The feeling is that in about 2 months the Covid-19 close-down will have passed with plenty of time to hold LDSR-39 as normal. More information can be found at the UROC website listed below. If registrants are concerned about signing up in advance, refunds will be available up to July 14th.

https://www.uroc.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=591702&module_id=365434

FlyBy01

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Would love to go and do my level 2 certification but I think work will keep me away based on the insanity going on now.