EVENT LDRS 39

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll second that. The salt is passable to just about any vehicle. I drove a subcompact out there several years. Just make sure you was it very thoroughly afterward! I've found salt lodged under my vehicle months later...
I drive my Honda Civic on the salt. My suggestion is to drive what is more comfortable driving to get there. You only drive on the salt itself for about 10 minutes each way, each day. Also, consider how you will clean the underside. I end up on my back at the car wash spraying the salt away, so a higher profile vehicle is easier to clean. And the salt is really hard on a vehicle if you don’t get it all off, so consider that as well.

At previous LDRS I washed the bottom of my truck everyday after coming off the salt. When I got home did a better, complete wash. A week later I traded It in.
This year we are driving a rental.

M

I drive my Honda Civic on the salt. My suggestion is to drive what is more comfortable driving to get there. You only drive on the salt itself for about 10 minutes each way, each day. Also, consider how you will clean the underside. I end up on my back at the car wash spraying the salt away, so a higher profile vehicle is easier to clean. And the salt is really hard on a vehicle if you don’t get it all off, so consider that as well.
Once I get back home, I take my vehicle to a self-wash car wash, and wind up pretty much laying on the ground to clean the salt off with a high pressure spray.

And I agree, my pickup is much easier to clean then my Scion:) Although I probably won't clean until I get back home. I figure the salt protects my truck from more salt!

On the topic of washing your vehicle thoroughly afterward:
We'll be renting an RV for use during LDRS. I've determined that the Blue Beacon Truck Wash (2020 S 900 W, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, UT | Blue Beacon Truck Wash ) has a floor-mounted unit that is designed to pressure wash the underside of vehicles. The manager told me that the solution used contains a "special chemical" (he didn't know what it is) that is particularly helpful in removing salt accumulated from being on the Salt Flats. I will take our RV there on the way back to the rental agency, to ensure I have no problems returning it. While nominally a "truck" wash, they do smaller automobiles too.
Bob Schultz

On the topic of washing your vehicle thoroughly afterward:
We'll be renting an RV for use during LDRS. I've determined that the Blue Beacon Truck Wash (2020 S 900 W, Salt Lake City, Salt Lake City, UT | Blue Beacon Truck Wash ) has a floor-mounted unit that is designed to pressure wash the underside of vehicles. The manager told me that the solution used contains a "special chemical" (he didn't know what it is) that is particularly helpful in removing salt accumulated from being on the Salt Flats. I will take our RV there on the way back to the rental agency, to ensure I have no problems returning it. While nominally a "truck" wash, they do smaller automobiles too.
Bob Schultz
Good to know - a place to wash my trailer has been on the to do list for a while. Are you staying at the KOA? Or are you boondocking? I’ve got reservations at the KOA. I likes my AC and plumbing:)

Hi Everyone!

Just under 90 days to LDRS39a! 86 to be exact. So excited!

We will have a standing waiver during the event to 12,500' AGL with call-in windows to 25,000' AGL. So cool!

Salt Lake City, Utah has been building a new International airport over the recent years that recently opened. The air traffic into SLC has increased tremendously and is planned to further exponentially increase. Because of this, we've been notified this is the last year we'll fly on the Bonneville Salt Flats. We are so appreciative of the FAA and all the support they have extended to UROC and the broader rocketry sport. We totally understand the situation and respect the FAA regarding this. They do a great job at keeping us safe.

If you've every said, someday I'd like to see the Bonneville Salt Flats. Or maybe you said to yourself, one of these years I'm going to fly with UROC at Hellfire (launch on the Salt Flats). Now's the time. Last chance! :)

Sign up for LDRS today at www.ldrs39.org. Make sure you reserve your hotel and sign up for the banquet too. All the info is on the www.ldrs39.org website. We are going to have a lot of fun!!!

Can't wait to see you all in a couple short months.

Cheers,
Paul

I’m going to be bringing out a launch tower to LDRS. For anyone who’s brought towers out to the salt flats before, what sort of stakes work best? I have a set of pet stakes, but not sure how well they’ll work on the salt flats.

I’m going to be bringing out a launch tower to LDRS. For anyone who’s brought towers out to the salt flats before, what sort of stakes work best? I have a set of pet stakes, but not sure how well they’ll work on the salt flats.

Rebar or large nails with washers. Galvanized if you do large nails because the salt will eat them. :)

Has anybody seen the volunteer assignment list ? It was on the website last week but I can't find it now.

I submitted a very similar query to [email protected] after getting my Pad Manager assignment email. I received this response from Michelle: "This is a good question. We turned off the volunteer signup page, because it was too hard to manage 2 years' worth of sign-ups. So no, you don't have to go in and sign yourself up. The assignment below for pad manager on Friday is where we have you at now. Will this work for you? Please let me know if it doesn't, as soon as possible so that I can move some people around. Stay Safe, Michelle". I responded that the assignment they gave to me is fine. My takeaway is that LDRS Management has volunteering under control via their email assignment method. I figure we should chalk this up to being another effect of the consarned pandemic. And I speculate that last-minute volunteer opportunities will be available at the event. Really looking forward to going to this LDRS!
Bob Schultz

I just signed up for pretty much everything. My son and I will be attempting our Level 1 certification and picking everyone's brains about all things rocket related and probably a few that aren't. Totally pumped!

We certified! Thank you to everyone who helped us, sorry I didn't catch most of your names. Kip observed both our cert flights, so at least I can give him a shout out.

Attachments

• DSC_0995.jpg
    DSC_0995.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1036.jpg
    DSC_1036.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1037.jpg
    DSC_1037.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1103.jpg
    DSC_1103.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC_1163.jpg
    DSC_1163.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_1165.jpg
    DSC_1165.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
DSCN3136.JPG

"What a fun event, well organized and executed" - I'll second that! Safe, well run, and everyone seemed to be there to have fun and enjoy the event. My hat's off to UROC, especially its leaders that devoted so much time and effort over two years to stage one of the best LDRS's I've ever been to. And there were so many certification attempts, I have to believe that a large number of new flyers were brought into this wholesome hobby.
Bob Schultz

Back