LDRS 38

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a loooooong drive for me. Can I put my Warlock in my carryon bag and fly there? Maybe I could buy it it’s own ticket and it can fly in the seat next to me. Or maybe it can sit on my lap like it’s my baby!

Looks like a loooooong drive for me. Can I put my Warlock in my carryon bag and fly there? Maybe I could buy it it’s own ticket and it can fly in the seat next to me. Or maybe it can sit on my lap like it’s my baby!
Warlock, probably not, but as a fellow left-coaster who flies a lot in the midwest and back east, I know for sure these rockets fit in a non-oversized box that you can check under the plane:

• Punisher 3 (two of 'em at once)
  • 4" Jart with a
  • 3" Darkstar or a
  • 3" Wildman and
  • Any Wildman Mini or Junior
Motor hardware and chutes goes in the rockets. Bag of tools and a blanket for the ground goes around 'em. Put your avionics and tracker in your carry on so they don't get broken. Done!

See you at the pasture ;)

(ps I have shipped 4" rockets across the country to fly in Kansas, too... it's worth it to fly with these guys!)

Warlock, probably not, but as a fellow left-coaster who flies a lot in the midwest and back east, I know for sure these rockets fit in a non-oversized box that you can check under the plane:

• Punisher 3 (two of 'em at once)
  • 4" Jart with a
  • 3" Darkstar or a
  • 3" Wildman and
  • Any Wildman Mini or Junior
Motor hardware and chutes goes in the rockets. Bag of tools and a blanket for the ground goes around 'em. Put your avionics and tracker in your carry on so they don't get broken. Done!

See you at the pasture ;)

(ps I have shipped 4" rockets across the country to fly in Kansas, too... it's worth it to fly with these guys!)

For the big multi-day launches, I’m used to having a full camping setup, or at least a shade canopy, table, and chairs. But I might be able to go ultralight. Hmmm...

Looking forward to this one, haven’t been to in Argonia since LDRS in 1999 so it will be 20 years by next year. Remember the long drive from the east coast but the field allows for Almost any big project you can think of making the drive worth it. Planning on multiple x cluster M and N flights. Stayed tuned!

This a is a must attend event. I met several members of Kloudbusters at a previous LDRS and they are definitely deserving of hosting this great event again!!!!! Road trip from Port St Lucie, Florida to Kansas is in my future!!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM KLOUDBUSTERS 13-Aug-2018

LDRS 38 will be hosted by KLOUDBusters. Inc., Tripoli Kansas Prefecture #34
Thursday August 29 – Monday September 2, 2019
At the Argonia Kansas Rocket Pasture

HOTEL ROOM BLOCK INFORMATION

The following hotel room blocks have been set-up for LDRS 38. Please call these properties directly to reserve your own room in the block.

Anthony Cobblestone Inn & Suites, Anthony, KS
~18 miles west of launch site.
Request Group “LDRS 38”. Rate $69 ‘Single King’ or ‘Two Queen’ rooms; includes breakfast.
https://goo.gl/maps/TCFPQ7SFP292
Hotel/Reservations Phone: (620) 842-5200

Harper Cobblestone Inn & Suites Harper, KS
~24 miles west of launch site.
Request Group “LDRS 38”. Rate $69 ‘Single King’ or ‘Two Queen’ rooms; includes breakfast.
https://goo.gl/maps/AeK7mtzCFNt
Hotel/Reservations Phone: (620) 896-2400

Baymont Inn and Travelodge by Wyndham Wellington, KS
~30 miles east of launch site.
Request Group “LDRS 38”. Rate $49 and up, depending upon room type. The block is set-up in the former Oak Tree Inn; check-in at the Baymont/Travelodge.
https://goo.gl/maps/9NpbKnBCzrr
Hotel/Reservations Phone: (620) 359-1137

Some things you need to know:
  • The Anthony Cobblestone Inn & Suites is the ‘official’ hotel in that a meeting room for any TRA BoD meetings has been reserved at the Anthony Cobblestone.
  • The TRA Banquet and Member Meeting will be held at Municipal Hall in Anthony, KS
  • Web presence for LDRS 38- www.ldrs38.org – content ETA 2018Q4.

Soooooo, with Airfest 24 in the books, is it too early to start making plans for LDRS 38?

I ended up putting our pop up on the FAR FAR right side. We couldn't even hear the PA.

So yes! We are already planning. May bring the camper and try to get a better spot for our tent.

I ended up putting our pop up on the FAR FAR right side. We couldn't even hear the PA.

So yes! We are already planning. May bring the camper and try to get a better spot for our tent.
Chris, pack a small battery powered FM radio as the PA announcements are broadcast.

Just booked lodging; can't wait to return to The Rocket Pasture! While looking at hotel/motel/lodging options, I found the following...nothing official but since we typically stay at the Cobblestones and both Anthony and Harper appear to be booked, I explored a bit. Note the official hotel for the event is in Anthony, so proximity to Anthony may be a consideration for you.

Anthony: 18 miles/24 minutes
Cobblestone: Sold out
Anthony Motel & Café: Great reviews, however cannot reserve (online) at this time.
Wheatland Inn: Not the best reviews.

Harper: 27 miles/32 minutes
Harper Motel: Mediocre reviews. Good people, outdated rooms with poor beds

Caldwell: 18.6 miles/23 minutes
Country Inn: Decent reviews. They actually have 3 places to eat in Caldwell….including Last Chance Bar & Grill which gets good reviews.

Wellington: 29 miles/35 minutes
A few options.

Just booked lodging; can't wait to return to The Rocket Pasture! While looking at hotel/motel/lodging options, I found the following...nothing official but since we typically stay at the Cobblestones and both Anthony and Harper appear to be booked, I explored a bit. Note the official hotel for the event is in Anthony, so proximity to Anthony may be a consideration for you.

Anthony: 18 miles/24 minutes
Anthony Motel & Café: Great reviews, however cannot reserve (online) at this time.
Wheatland Inn: Not the best reviews.

Harper: 27 miles/32 minutes
Harper Motel: Mediocre reviews. Good people, outdated rooms with poor beds

Caldwell: 18.6 miles/23 minutes
Country Inn: Decent reviews. They actually have 3 places to eat in Caldwell….including Last Chance Bar & Grill which gets good reviews.

Wellington: 29 miles/35 minutes
A few options.

Sounds like I got the last room in Harper Cobblestone... :cool::p
FYI, I stayed at the Harper Motel last week during Airfest. I'm still alive, so it's not THAT bad... Definitely dated tho... If you like keeping your hair dry during a shower, it's perfect :rolleyes:
If you weigh over 300lbs after a breakfast biscuit, you'll find the bathroom a bit snug. :p

Last edited:
I was at the Harper hotel last we ek too. Dated, but clean and the AC worked well.

That said, I stopped in Anthony and made my reservation for next year at the Cobblestone.

I was at the Harper hotel last we ek too. Dated, but clean and the AC worked well.

That said, I stopped in Anthony and made my reservation for next year at the Cobblestone.

Cripes Chris... And I still missed you... What room were you in. I was in the furthest west room on the front row (29 I think)... Red Ford Flex out front. You weren't next to me in a dark F150 by any chance? :rolleyes:

My Dad and I were in 33 (furthest east room on front row) with the Blue Prius. That breakfast place next door was good...Red Rooster I think.

I am camping on site this year for 5 nights. Bring the ol' generator, fuel, and water plus RV. Camping beats paying 400 bucks for a hotel for 5 nights. Plus, dont have to drive in and out every day. Camping is the only way to go.

I am camping on site this year for 5 nights. Bring the ol' generator, fuel, and water plus RV. Camping beats paying 400 bucks for a hotel for 5 nights. Plus, dont have to drive in and out every day. Camping is the only way to go.
I just can't do it... Seems like dirt is in every pore of my body after a day at the Pasture. The brisk shower afterward is what energizes me for the next launch day.

I just can't do it... Seems like dirt is in every pore of my body after a day at the Pasture. The brisk shower afterward is what energizes me for the next launch day.

RV!! I have a rv with shower. Easy. I love a shower after a day in pasture. I stayed 4 nights at the river park at airfest. Shower every night. Only cost me 45 dollars total. Lot easier to pay 45 then 400 for hotel. Even if u camp in a tent at the pasture there are free showers at the river park. So really no excuses. Even with camping in a tent there is a shower 6 miles away for free. For me that's a win win. You know what u can do for an extra 400 bucks that your not spending on a hotel??? That's money for motors. I camped on site in the pasture in 2012 and 2013. A shower at the river park was easy. I bought a rv in summer 2014 for the family but I use it for rocketry.

RV!! I have a rv with shower. Easy. I love a shower after a day in pasture. I stayed 4 nights at the river park at airfest. Shower every night. Only cost me 45 dollars total. Lot easier to pay 45 then 400 for hotel. Even if u camp in a tent at the pasture there are free showers at the river park. So really no excuses. Even with camping in a tent there is a shower 6 miles away for free. For me that's a win win. You know what u can do for an extra 400 bucks that your not spending on a hotel??? That's money for motors. I camped on site in the pasture in 2012 and 2013. A shower at the river park was easy. I bought a rv in summer 2014 for the family but I use it for rocketry.
Oh, that's way different than I thought.

-Not a Camper (coming from a guy that left a dozen 20-somethings camping in West Virginia mountains, including my then girlfriend, to check into a Hyatt. BTW, after two days of torrential rain; plus two other guys bolted with me.)

The discussion comparing costs needs to factor in the cost of the camper (or camper rental) and a vehicle to tow it. Paying $400 a year may be more cost effective than buying or renting a camper. Sleeping in a tent is another discussion altogether.

My wife came up with the idea to see if we could find a local RV rental for Airfest. This was one of the closest resources I found. Used them and we were pleased with the rental and cost, delivery and pick up.

Using this rental as an example, (and I have no relationship with this rental company)
https://www.outdooradventuresrv.com/2012outback250rsblack.html

Shared rental among 4 people.
Rental for 3 nights $447.
Delivery and pick up fee. $125.
Total $572.
Divided over 4 people. $143. ea.
Over 3 nights $47. a night.

Then your own food ..etc and a generator to power it on-site. They do rent generators as well.

Not a bad option.

Back