LDRS 28 Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow
Nice pics, looks like it's a wee bit wet out on the field.I see by the looks of it that the HotRod Nitro Fireball fired all the HotRod Nitro's this time that must have been an impressive flight.

Wow
Nice pics, looks like it's a wee bit wet out on the field.I see by the looks of it that the HotRod Nitro Fireball fired all the HotRod Nitro's this time that must have been an impressive flight.

what picture numbers are they? I realy wanted to see that one !

Just like the reports said - very wet on Thursday, but things really got rolling on Friday. Nice pictures.

MarkII

Eldred always take great pictures.

Kudo's Eldred.

Awesome pictures! Thanks for posting the links Kevin..Whose Saturn V is that? Pictures 1260 and 1265 thru 1268, it looks awesome!

Pics #1265 - #1268; sweet! Picture #1280 :cool: . Nice shot of a Semroc Hawk taking off in #1294 - don't see too many B/G liftoff shots like that. Pic #1362, the sequence of #1444 - #1447 and also #1476; all :cool: . Ooo, #1489 - nice. Just to name a few. Great pics!

MarkII

The Saturn V sequence was very realistic. Pics from both days were fantastic. Thanx.

Save up for next year people, LDRS 29 will be held in Lucerne next June. Come on out to the west coast. Finally, a national event not too far away.

Save up for next year people, LDRS 29 will be held in Lucerne next June. Come on out to the west coast. Finally, a national event not too far away.

Er, it was in Jean two years ago, which, from looking at a map, isn't all that far from Lucerne.

-Kevin (who will admit to some bias, because here in the midwest, an LDRS 6 hours away is really close)

Er, it was in Jean two years ago, which, from looking at a map, isn't all that far from Lucerne.

-Kevin (who will admit to some bias, because here in the midwest, an LDRS 6 hours away is really close)

True, but Jean is only 20 minutes from Vegas, which is almost 4 hours from my house. Lucerne is only 1 1/2 hours away.

Yep, I will be going! Its about an 8 or 9 hour drive for me. The only question is staying in a motel or camping out. When I went to Jean and It was 109++ there was no question which way to go. Put in a request for night launches, as these are my favorite events by far.

True, but Jean is only 20 minutes from Vegas, which is almost 4 hours from my house. Lucerne is only 1 1/2 hours away.

4 hours is a hop, skip and a sneeze. Argonia is the closest it's been for us, at 6 hours to Wichita, then another hour from Wichita to the field.

-Kevin

Stop beating around the bush and just say it...... I'm spoiled. I know I am. Hey, what can I say. Yes, it is nice being so close.

There are some hotels about 30 min. away in Apple Valley. ROC is running the event, so it will be good.

Stop beating around the bush and just say it...... I'm spoiled. I know I am. Hey, what can I say.
:p

There are some hotels about 30 min. away in Apple Valley. ROC is running the event, so it will be good.

30 minutes is not bad, at all. I'm used to the host hotel being an hour or so away.

-Kevin

Eldred shoots great photos.

Looks like something bad happened to the 2-stage Nuclear Sledgehammer. :eek: :( Hope that sucker is repairable.

It also looks like something went wrong with the JMRC big rocket like a closure burned through or something. I saw a few photos with a big burned out hole in the side of the bird but I couldn't tell where it was on the airframe. Then again I didn't look real close.

Looks as if the weather was good Saturday.

-Dave

Last edited:
Eldred shoots great photos.

Looks like something bad happened to the 2-stage Nuclear Sledgehammer. :eek: :( Hope that sucker is repairable.

Doesn't look too good. I just picked the following quote from Rocketry Planet:

"A large N-to-N two stage rocket was a fantastic failure, with the long-burning sustainer skywriting and eventually falling to the ground in flames."

:(

Stop beating around the bush and just say it...... I'm spoiled. I know I am. Hey, what can I say. Yes, it is nice being so close.

Hotel? no way bring a tent, heck bring your hammock and something to hang it from, the weather at night should be nice for staying out under the stars!!!

Thats when all the funs is at a ROC launch anyways. we just fly rockets to break up the time in the morning when theres nothing to do. :roll:

I didn't say I was staying in a hotel, I will definitely bring a tent, or a trailer. :D

4 hours is a hop, skip and a sneeze. Argonia is the closest it's been for us, at 6 hours to Wichita, then another hour from Wichita to the field.

-Kevin
LDRS 28 is about 6 hours from my house. I'm wondering if I can still make a day trip to it before it's over. Drive 6 hours, watch some launches, drive 6 hours home - doable? I put in a full 24 hour day when I went down to NARCON in March. Twelve hours of that were spent driving too, but I only had to do the driving for six of them.

MarkII

I didn't say I was staying in a hotel, I will definitely bring a tent, or a trailer. :D

I know that, I was telling everyone else!!! WOO HOO LDRS AT ROC!!

I should have my Aries SST ready to go for that, and maybe my Mercury Little Joe. HE HE 4 54mm motors two high thrust two long burn motors all lit on the pad!!

See you there tim.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread..

Looks like the Gods of weather finally smiled upon LDRS this year!

Some great photos there. My oldest son and I had seriously considered going, but our plans fell through this spring. Considering the weather up there, I'm not real sorry we didn't go, although it looks as though it was a good time. The one pic of the Mennonite lady made me wonder if LDRS hadn't been moved here to Lancaster Co., PA! :D

1,492.6 miles to LDRS 29. :eek:

Considering the location, I'm wondering what the temperature will be, as compared to Jean.

-Kevin

Considering the location, I'm wondering what the temperature will be, as compared to Jean.

-Kevin

It should actually be cooler. ROCstock this June was like 90, maybe. Should be great weather.

The weather on Sat and today was fantastic...one heck of a show both days....A ton of big projects today including a 7 Rocket Drag Race...

Took over 1000 pictures each of the first 3 days...not sure how many I took today - there was so much to choose from it was hard to keep up...

One day left.

Saturday was a bit gusty - at least it was sunny, but not really my definition of fantastic (better than the preceding days at least though). Today was absolutely gorgeous though. Dead calm all day, with only the occasional tiny cloud drifting by overhead. It was the first day that both the M pads and the way away cell were in continuous use pretty much the entire period that the waiver was open. It's supposed to be pretty nice tomorrow too (with possible afternoon thunderstorms), so I'm looking forward to it. The deuce is heading back home in the Gates Brothers trailer right now, after a spectacularly straight flight on a pair of K675 skids, and the Gates Brothers flew their Sumo and Porthos perfectly (Jayhawk didn't fly, unfortunately). Vern Hoag's Saturn V and Dan Michael's Patriot went perfectly as well. All in all, it was a perfect day, although there were a couple of CATOs (the O skidmark and the Black 5 especially stick out as spectacular failures). Overall though, it was definitely the best launch day yet.

-Kevin

Well, you're closer then me! :p 2,340.6 miles to LDRS 29! :y:

Just a word to the wise-and I am sure a LOT know it already..But camping out in a desert is way different affair then camping in any other environment..When the sun goes down, and ESPECIALLY if it is a clear night, it WILL get COLD...Not chilly, but COLD, see your breath, shivering type cold..You have been informed..[/end Public Service Announcement];)

Back