LDRS 28 Photos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everybodys closer than me

probably close to 7000 miles!

Meh!..... 1,492 miles....2,340 miles.....try 9,645 miles ...one way!.....now that's a trip! And that would still make it the closest LDRS I could get to! :jaw: It should only take me around 23 hours travel time to get there.....Arrggghhhhh!

Last edited:
Well, you're closer then me! :p 2,340.6 miles to LDRS 29! :y:

Just a word to the wise-and I am sure a LOT know it already..But camping out in a desert is way different affair then camping in any other environment..When the sun goes down, and ESPECIALLY if it is a clear night, it WILL get COLD...Not chilly, but COLD, see your breath, shivering type cold..You have been informed..[/end Public Service Announcement];)

That's not 100% correct. Normally I would agree with you, but last November, it was mild, I mean I wore shorts till it was time to go to bed at like 11:00 pm mild. June may not be all that cold either. Maybe 45 at night. You easterners would think that's like summer. ;)

That's not 100% correct. Normally I would agree with you, but last November, it was mild, I mean I wore shorts till it was time to go to bed at like 11:00 pm mild. June may not be all that cold either. Maybe 45 at night. You easterners would think that's like summer. ;)

Might be this 'global warming' thing..I recall about 20 years ago while in the Army going out to NTC at Ft Irwin. It was during the summer(July or August I can't recall) and I remember packing to go there(from El Paso,TX) that my squad leader told me to pack my cold weather gear..Being young and dumb, I didn't initially pack the gear-was found out when he decided to do a spot inspection to make sure I had all the 'required' equipment packed..So, anyway in goes the cold weather gear, but in the bottom of my duffel bag, cause it's summer, I won't need it, right? Well, we get out there, and after sweating all day in the 100+ degree heat, night falls and it got down to 34 degrees! :y: Needless to say the 'organization I had in my packed duffel was lost getting out my cold weather gear!

I would pack a jacket just to be on the safe and comfortable side.;)

Last edited:
Here are a few shots of the upscale Deuce on one motor going up Friday afternoon. We left shortly after this - glad to read it had a successful flight Saturday.

DeuceUpscale1.JPG

DeuceUpscale2.JPG

DeuceUpscale3.JPG

DeuceUpscale4.JPG

Shortly after the Deuce Flight, the second M of LDRS went up. Caught a few pictures of it as well.

M_Nike1.JPG

M_Nike2.JPG

M_Nike3.JPG

M_Nike4.JPG

Here is a shot of my Strong Arm going up on a G motor. You can see how far away it landed - well maybe - it is the little yellow speck to the right of the clump of trees! It was hard to judge how far back it went in the field. It took about an hour of walking up and down the furrows in ankle deep mud to find it! I just happened to look over and catch a glimpse of the parachute. For those of you that could not make it - you can see what you were missing!!

I did fire it a second time on a G Green Mojave Motor. It went more into the center of the field. I was about 30 minutes into searching for it when someone about 40 feet in front of me held it up! As I was going to get it, I spotted another one. On the way back, I spotted a second one, and then a third just on the edge of the tall field. I took all of them back to lost and found. I hope the rightful owners were able to claim them.

Any idea how many were sacrificed to the field??

A special thanks to Tim of Off We Go Rocketry for being kind enough to give us a ride in the back of his pick up on Friday down to the range! Good Luck with the new business.

StrongArm2.JPG

StrongArm4.JPG

StrongArm5.JPG

StrongArm6.JPG

Last edited:
The Saturn V sequence was very realistic. Pics from both days were fantastic. Thanx.

Save up for next year people, LDRS 29 will be held in Lucerne next June. Come on out to the west coast. Finally, a national event not too far away.

Thanks for the nice comments on the pics, everyone! Unfortunately, there's no *way* I can afford the trip to LDRS 29. I'd love to, but unless I win the Lotto, it isn't going to happen...:(

Eldred

Eldred shoots great photos.

Looks like something bad happened to the 2-stage Nuclear Sledgehammer. :eek: :( Hope that sucker is repairable.

It also looks like something went wrong with the JMRC big rocket like a closure burned through or something. I saw a few photos with a big burned out hole in the side of the bird but I couldn't tell where it was on the airframe. Then again I didn't look real close.

Looks as if the weather was good Saturday.

-Dave

SledgeHammer's upper stage cato'd(understatement...<g>. The booster was fine, and his electronics survived. It was QUITE interesting to watch all those burning grains falling back into the field. Terry said he won't repair it.

Too Big To Fail(JMRC project) flew fine. The damage was caused by one of the deployment charges. Repairs are planned.

Eldred

6680 miles, 25 states and 16 days ago we left for LDRS 28 in New York. Other than weather, it was a fun and exciting launch.

David L1 cert flight was the first flight of LDRS 28, and the Gates boys did two L1, three L2 and two L3 attempts in New York. David had plans on all three certs in a day, but the weather would not cooperate. He flew his L3 on the 4th of July at the end of the day, as the wind calmed down some, to successfully pass his L3. Aren passed his L2 test and got his L2. Evan got his L1, L2 and attempted his L3 after buying his kit from Wildman at midnight Saturday night after the banquet, and flying it Sunday at 6pm at range closing. Unfortunately his nosecone separated. He will try again at ROC. He flew it on a M1939, and the up was downright spectacular!

On Sunday, the first gorgeous day to fly, we managed to get Porthos in the air on a central 98mm M2500 and six 54mm K1100’s, all Blue Thunder. The same flight as in Jean, but this time the ladder did not blow over! Perfect flight. Porthos screams into the air, and with a 10-1 thrust to weight ratio, it literally jumps off the pad

We hustled and also put the Sumo up on a central 98mm M2100 with four outboard M1500’s, all Mojave Green. We had the main come out at apogee accidentally, and had to chase the booster 5 miles over the hill and thru the woods to get it back.

It was nice to be able to help Chris get his duece out to LDRS 28. After seeing it fly on one motor, I think he should ground start one, and airstart the other! We talked him into wiring the Daveyfires in series, and packing some thermite in the motors to help get them going. Awesome flight.

All in all a fun launch, but don’t think I will ever do that drive again!

Erik

6680 miles, 25 states and 16 days ago we left for LDRS 28 in New York. Other than weather, it was a fun and exciting launch.

David L1 cert flight was the first flight of LDRS 28, and the Gates boys did two L1, three L2 and two L3 attempts in New York. David had plans on all three certs in a day, but the weather would not cooperate. He flew his L3 on the 4th of July at the end of the day, as the wind calmed down some, to successfully pass his L3. Aren passed his L2 test and got his L2. Evan got his L1, L2 and attempted his L3 after buying his kit from Wildman at midnight Saturday night after the banquet, and flying it Sunday at 6pm at range closing. Unfortunately his nosecone separated. He will try again at ROC. He flew it on a M1939, and the up was downright spectacular!

On Sunday, the first gorgeous day to fly, we managed to get Porthos in the air on a central 98mm M2500 and six 54mm K1100&#8217;s, all Blue Thunder. The same flight as in Jean, but this time the ladder did not blow over! Perfect flight. Porthos screams into the air, and with a 10-1 thrust to weight ratio, it literally jumps off the pad

We hustled and also put the Sumo up on a central 98mm M2100 with four outboard M1500&#8217;s, all Mojave Green. We had the main come out at apogee accidentally, and had to chase the booster 5 miles over the hill and thru the woods to get it back.

It was nice to be able to help Chris get his duece out to LDRS 28. After seeing it fly on one motor, I think he should ground start one, and airstart the other! We talked him into wiring the Daveyfires in series, and packing some thermite in the motors to help get them going. Awesome flight.

All in all a fun launch, but don&#8217;t think I will ever do that drive again!

Erik

Nice to meet you at the Saturn V launch at MDRA. You guys put on a great show at LDRS! I Loved the scream that Porthos had from the BT motors. I am looking into making a smaller version with 38mm and 54mm just to hear that scream!

Hope to see you out on the east coast again.

Ben

Last edited:
Evan got his L1, L2 and attempted his L3 after buying his kit from Wildman at midnight Saturday night after the banquet, and flying it Sunday at 6pm at range closing. Unfortunately his nosecone separated. He will try again at ROC. He flew it on a M1939, and the up was downright spectacular!

Erik

...<attempted his L3 after buying his kit from Wildman at midnight Saturday night after the banquet, and flying it Sunday at 6pm at range closing.>

Did I read that right...?

.....and they talk about "Go Fever".....

On Sunday, the first gorgeous day to fly, we managed to get Porthos in the air on a central 98mm M2500 and six 54mm K1100’s, all Blue Thunder. The same flight as in Jean, but this time the ladder did not blow over! Perfect flight. Porthos screams into the air, and with a 10-1 thrust to weight ratio, it literally jumps off the pad

We hustled and also put the Sumo up on a central 98mm M2100 with four outboard M1500’s, all Mojave Green. We had the main come out at apogee accidentally, and had to chase the booster 5 miles over the hill and thru the woods to get it back.

All in all a fun launch, but don’t think I will ever do that drive again!

Erik

So I have to ask...will you ever update the website?

So I have to ask...will you ever update the website?

He's actually working on that right now. Not 100% sure yet when the new site will be ready to go, as Erik is delving into levels of involvement he's not had in the past, so he's learning.

But it is coming!

-Kevin

...<attempted his L3 after buying his kit from Wildman at midnight Saturday night after the banquet, and flying it Sunday at 6pm at range closing.>

Did I read that right...?

.....and they talk about "Go Fever".....

You’re talking about a Carnegie Mellon University senior that has been building and flying big rockets with us since he was knee high to a grasshopper. I thought it was a little ambitious, but if he could pull it off, go for it. He managed to put it together while we slept, and while we flew Porthos and the Sumo. At the end of the day, the range stayed open for an extra hour, and he need every minute of it. The Wildman Extreme kit is amazing and the flight was really fun, except losing the nosecone. He went on the Hotel computer and downloaded and filled out the L3 data Capture Form, and put together the L3 paperwork before heading to the field to finish the build. I was truly impressed by his desire to build and fly in the same day. Hats off to Tim for helping him with opening his store at midnight, getting him the kit and all the necessary supplies to pull it off as well.

Erik

He's actually working on that right now. Not 100% sure yet when the new site will be ready to go, as Erik is delving into levels of involvement he's not had in the past, so he's learning.

But it is coming!

-Kevin

Purchased Dreamweaver, and in the process of updating the site. Dirk is the tech guy, so there is a huge learning curve for me. Getting it slowly, but surely.

Erik

Erik

I've already done that, although it was accidental :)

It was on K555s at LDRS 26 at Jean Dry Lake, NV. Here are some pics:

Oh, and thanks again for bringing my Deuce out. It was really nice to be able to fly it and get Jim Flis to sign it (even if he couldn't see the flight).

Last edited:
I've posted all my photos from the launch at the link below. We were visiting from NC as spectators only and what a great event! We were on the return leg of a 2 week outing to the NE part of the country and this was a perfect side trip for us. My wife is the one who suggested it - how cool is that!? Hats off to the organizers, volunteers, vendors and fliers!

Help yourself to downloads. The first click on thumbnails gets an intermediate image (800x600) for screen viewing. Click on the intermediate image to get the full image (min 5 mpxl). Right click either for download.

https://www.theoakleys.net/gallery/LDRS28

I'll cross post this to the other LDRS 28 threads later today...

Randy Oakley
TRA 8991

Back