LDRS 28, July 2009

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben_ullman

Reaction score
Ok, lets resart the LDRS thread. So whos coming? My dad and I are booked for July 1-7th at the host hotel. I can't wait to try some new things!! Hopefully my largest motor cluster (O?!) and stage my largest project, O to N.

Can't wait to hear about about all the projects.

www.ldrs28.org

Ben

Oh yeah, I'll be there!! :D I'm gonna see if I can fly one of the new K590 dual-thrust motorsin my C3.

Last edited:
Ben,

Are you flying that chute I found you?

After I get a few hundered feet of military cord off Ebay for shrouds, yes. Need to bring in 2 large projects with it. I'll post some pictures and sign up the large project page once I get more work done.

Ben

I am in the process of figuring out how to get the GBR trailer out to New York from California. I think we will be bringing the Jayhawk, The Sumo and Porthos to fly at LDRS 28. It will be 3000 miles there and 3000 miles back, but worth the journey. I am looking for at least one more person to make the drive out and back. They must be able to drive a motor home or truck pulling a trailer. Contact me if you would like to be a driver. Truck and gas on us.

Erik Gates
Gates Brothers Rocketry

I'll be there. Myself and a bunch of us Ontario fliers have booked rooms at the Super8 in Canandaigua, rather than the host hotel. (Looking at the map of the area, it seems a bit closer...) I'm heading down on the Friday, and heading back on Monday.

My camera rocket - Zoinks! - will be flying on a 75mm M motor... although I'm not quite sure which one I want to use yet. I have a new 14-foot FruityChute to bring down a 30-pound rocket, so I think that landing damage is a thing of the past. :D If the SportsCams work as expected, I'll have full video from the moment of ignition to the moment of landing... one looking downwards along the airframe, and one looking directly outwards.

I may bring one other big rocket... something for a K flight maybe.

I am in the process of figuring out how to get the GBR trailer out to New York from California. I think we will be bringing the Jayhawk, The Sumo and Porthos to fly at LDRS 28. It will be 3000 miles there and 3000 miles back, but worth the journey. I am looking for at least one more person to make the drive out and back. They must be able to drive a motor home or truck pulling a trailer. Contact me if you would like to be a driver. Truck and gas on us.

Erik Gates
Gates Brothers Rocketry

If you pay for my plane ticket to California sure. And I can only ride with one other person per me being under 18 with a license :p

Ben

I'll be there. Myself and a bunch of us Ontario fliers have booked rooms at the Super8 in Canandaigua, rather than the host hotel. (Looking at the map of the area, it seems a bit closer...) I'm heading down on the Friday, and heading back on Monday.

My camera rocket - Zoinks! - will be flying on a 75mm M motor... although I'm not quite sure which one I want to use yet. I have a new 14-foot FruityChute to bring down a 30-pound rocket, so I think that landing damage is a thing of the past. :D If the SportsCams work as expected, I'll have full video from the moment of ignition to the moment of landing... one looking downwards along the airframe, and one looking directly outwards.

I may bring one other big rocket... something for a K flight maybe.

Camera rocket eh? Ill donate a 6000ns Red Sparky for a flight if I can get a CD of the video! :) Pm or E-mail me, I can't seem to PM you.

Let me know......

Ben

I won't be making it, for the second year in a row :(

LDRS 27 was timed incredibly poorly (darn school) and now 28 is just too far away. Oh well - maybe it'll be back within a range that works for me for LDRS 29...

Ben, I'll make you a better deal......

I'll come up to where you live, [I'll take M sparkies in lieu of cash for expenses] and drive you to LDRS. But I can only ride with one other person, [preferably a statuesque blond, 40ish], because I'm over 50.

Erik Gates
Gates Brothers Rocketry

Doggone it! I live on the wrong end of the country or that might actually sound like a good idea.

I am in the process of figuring out how to get the GBR trailer out to New York from California. I think we will be bringing the Jayhawk, The Sumo and Porthos to fly at LDRS 28.

I can't help on getting stuff out there, but once you're there, I should be able to provide some ground-support assistance. I can probably provide a teenager or two, as well, from grunt flunky stoop slave labor.

-Kevin

Ben, I'll make you a better deal......

I'll come up to where you live, [I'll take M sparkies in lieu of cash for expenses] and drive you to LDRS. But I can only ride with one other person, [preferably a statuesque blond, 40ish], because I'm over 50.

lol sounds great ;) Get something built so we can have a sparky drag race. I have a few rockets I can load with sparkys. Maybe bigger than M ? ;)

Ben

As of right now there is 13 of us coming from Tripoli Pittsburgh. I have a few M projects and also a 2 stage that I will be flying there.

I will be there with my son for all 5 days. I'm also staying at the Super 8, but mainly due to the lower price. Saved enough money to pay for my L3 Motor!

I will have at least 2 and maybe 3 large projects including my L3 project. More info will be posted later. I'll also be bringing my 3x upscale of the Fliskits Rockstar.

Did you make your reservations at the one in Canandaigua? I just changed mine to there. 178.00 savings and it looks closer.:)

Just out of curiosity, how big is the field? One of my chances at L1 might be stuffing an H into a Semroc Arcas. That would require a LOT of recovery room...

Did you make your reservations at the one in Canandaigua? I just changed mine to there. 178.00 savings and it looks closer.:)

Yes, I think that is the only one around there. I was told by someone around there that is is only a 15-20 minute drive to the launch field. I'm hoping that we will be able to spend the night at a relatives house on the 1st to save a little more. I think we will just find a cheap room on our way home. I don't think I want to drive 11 hours after a day at the range.

Just out of curiosity, how big is the field? One of my chances at L1 might be stuffing an H into a Semroc Arcas. That would require a LOT of recovery room...

The LDRS website says they have a 16,000-acre field. Altitude limit is 15,000 feet, with windows to 23,000.

Semroc predicts 2750' on a H128-10. That should be very do-able for the field. You could always add a little additional noseweight to keep the altitude lower.

You can get more info at https://www.ldrs28.org

2750'?

That's completely doable. My record for single deploy no tracker is around 6k, and it came back reasonably close. Just pay attention to the wind, and make sure its fairly calm, and that shot should be absolutely fine.

Of course, you could always go for the 268...

If you manage to loose that then I will hault all of my 8k ft+ flights for fear of loosing them. like CJL said I think you could go 5k feet and be fine single deploy. I would make sure the chute is of good size and not skimp to get it closer since it is L1 and recovery damage may/will DQ you.

;)

Ben

If you manage to loose that then I will hault all of my 8k ft+ flights for fear of loosing them. like CJL said I think you could go 5k feet and be fine single deploy. I would make sure the chute is of good size and not skimp to get it closer since it is L1 and recovery damage may/will DQ you.

;)

Ben

Just watch out for the "Hermit" 1/4 mile northwest of the field . You don't want to deal with that guy.

Last edited:
Just watch out for the "Hermit" 1/4 mile northwest of the field . You don't want to deal with that guy.

Yeah, I've heard he's a pretty unstable character.

He looks like this guy:
image.php

-Kevin

Well, I never saw theman, but the three who did all confirmed that this is him.

After a closer look, I think they are long lost brothers

;)

Last edited:
Hi

I was thinking of coming over this year too LDRS and also turning it into a holiday

The question is what else is there to do in the area once LDRS is over .I was contemplating hiring a camper van,so hopefully there is somewhere too park up near LDRS for the event

All suggestions are welcomed

Thanks

Phil

I'm planning on going to Niagara Falls one evening. We'll be too close to miss it!

Back