Ldrs 24

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
unfortunately, it doesn't look like FlisKits will be able to make that one (too far). Maybe next year... :(

Heck, I couldn't even make LDRS when it was an eight-hour drive from here! Of course, it didn't help that it was scheduled over July 4th weekend...:kill:

Wish I could go but it's just too far. Too bad - their launch site is supposed to be incredible.

Too far for me. I'm attending NERRF instead. Much closer.

same as neil, its bad enough getting mom to drive upstate, canada is like a whole 'nother planet

yeah...way far out there....they picked quite a remote location this year...NERRF if sounding great to me. lol.

Doesn't Canada have different regulations for their rocketry - and therefore might have different rules for US residents ?

I realize this falls under NRA and TRA as an official event with the sponsorship of the Canadian Rocketry society, but I'm curious how launching in Canada will be.

Cheers,

I'll be there. I've been to that site a few times already. It'll be excellent for anyone who wants to go high. (50,000 ft)

I'm betting it will be a well run event. The host clubs have a lot of very dedicated people. I'll be there to help more than to fly.

It may be a far trip for many southern US residents but remember that it should be a good value due to the exchange rates etc.

As far a peoples questions on diferences. I've been told that It is a TRA launch and goes under the TRA code. In most instances where TRA codes difer from CAR codes the CAR codes are usually more lax so we have to brush up and check on our gear to comply with the more strict rules. I think the biggest problem will be getting EX loads into Canada but it is easy to do if the right paperwork is dealt with in advance thanks to our CAR EX committee which developed a program with the governments for this event. Commercial loads being brought into Canada may also need paperwork in advance. MUCH EASIER TO BUY AND FLY from onsite vendors. The bigest problem might be bringing unused loads back into the USA!
See the website for the details https://www.ldrs24.org/

Layne

I'm planning to drive up there from L.A. I'm trying to see if anyone would like to join me. It would be a cool road trip. That's way to far to drive all by my lonesome. My tenative plan was to take I-5 up to the border in Washington and book it to the launch site. It's not the quickest route but it's very scenic. I would take about 2 days. If anyone is interested let me know.

Hmm.... I wish I could... But my parents would never let me take a road trip into Canada with a complete stranger (to them at least)... Sure sounds like fun... Oh well. NERRF should be good enough...

I wonder where LDRS 25 is... I'm definetly going if its on this side of the Missippi.

Neil,

Your place in ME might be a bit out of the way for someone coming from LA. :cool:

Right now we're planning a family vacation to drive from Kansas and take-in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone Park on the way to LDRS 24. That area contains some of the most intriguing geological wonders in the world. My kids will get a practical geology lesson as a side benefit of the trip. My last trip there was in 1980 so I haven't been there since the big fire. We're really looking forward to the adventure.

Lethbridge, AB really is a long way from anything in the US, but by the looks of things it will be well worth the trip. The launch site looks really cool and the limits are nearly at Black Rock levels. Our Canadian brethren have done a great job making it as easy as possible to enjoy LDRS across the border. I think it will be a real blast.

As far as LDRS 25, expect west of the Mississippi. A little birdie has been whispering in my ear and ...

--Lance.

Originally posted by llickteig1

As far as LDRS 25, expect west of the Mississippi. A little birdie has been whispering in my ear and ...

Back to Kansas then?

Let's just say that I've heard of 3 Prefectures considering bidding and they are all west of the Mississippi.

The west coast rocketeers have a legitimate case for getting a launch out their way, since the 4 most recent will be Canada, NY, Argonia, and Amarillo. I wish the Oregon prefecture would make a bid. I love the Northwest and I hear their field is good.

Oh by the way, Argonia has a new public swimming pool that would be ideal for afternoon cool-off periods and family fun.

--Lance.

Originally posted by Ozymandias
I'm planning to drive up there from L.A. I'm trying to see if anyone would like to join me. It would be a cool road trip. That's way to far to drive all by my lonesome. My tenative plan was to take I-5 up to the border in Washington and book it to the launch site. It's not the quickest route but it's very scenic. I would take about 2 days. If anyone is interested let me know.

First of all, when is LDRS 24? Secondly, Ozymandias, your offer is tempting. I live about 35 miles east of L.A. in Fullerton and would be interested, but I don't think the wife would go for it. Besides, I thought you were in Florida. How are you leaving from L.A.?

Back