Launching Locations in Massachusetts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshmallow

Reaction score
is there a very large open space somewhere in mass for launching big rockets that is open to the public?

It depends on where in Massachusetts you are located. Have you looked into CMASS? They are the "local" NAR chapter and have a couple of decent launch sites. The site in Acton is mostly LPR and MPR with the motor size limit of G80. The site in Amesbury is is capable of HPR up to I believe J motors. There is a launch scheduled for this weekend, Saturday, Oct 17 at the Amesbury launch site, but it will most likely be postponed until Sunday due to weather. Check the CMASS website for more info and COVID precautions.

and if you're not near CMASS (which is a really cool club) then you gotta go out of state. Some come to CATO in Durham, CT, others hit the NY clubs. THere used to be Mass Missle and science club, right over the line, but they don't have a field. There are also NH & VT clubs as well

thank you! acton is pretty close. i will definetely check out cmass site. so can u just drive there and launch or is there some sort of reservation? and do u have to join the club to use it?
im kinda new so i dont really know this sort of thing yet

edit: i found a spot on the cmass website that tells me all of that.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the Amesbury field, but the School St. field in Acton is open to the public. There are other groups that use the field, R/C fliers and Cricketers are the most common.
I agree with cbrarick CMASS is a cool club!....although I may be a little biased. All of the other clubs he mentioned are also worth checking out.
If you have never been to a club launch, it's a really good time. Not only do you get to fly your rockets, you get to see all the other rockets fly too. CMASS is full of easy going and very nice people, not to mention quite knowledgeable too.

Last edited:
We get a few of the Boston area uni teams coming up to use our field (and waiver!) but the drive can be a long one..

CRMRC.org, northern Vermont (about a 1/2hr north of Burlington)

And you can always fly in Rhode Island too. Check out RIMRA.org or find us on facebook. Our next launch is scheduled for 10/24.

Last edited:
We get a few of the Boston area uni teams coming up to use our field (and waiver!) but the drive can be a long one..

CRMRC.org, northern Vermont (about a 1/2hr north of Burlington)
I had no clue there was a club so close!

Are you guys planning on launching in November and December with covid going on? The site lists those dates as completed.

Last edited:
I had no clue there was a club so close!

Are you guys planning on launching in November and December with covid going on? The site lists those dates as completed.

Just checked the site (crmrc.org) and has Nov. & Dec dates set as 'scheduled' [Nov 21st & Dec 19th] So, apart from weather or some alien invasion, the launch will go s planned.. Covid rules will apply (whatever they may be by then..) I won't be there, as the border is still closed (and likely will be for a while still!)

See our FB page too, October's launch report & video are up. https://www.facebook.com/groups/332681198377/

Its a bit of a haul, if your looking for a high power field you can always try Tripoli Cherry field, Me.

Latest posts

Back