Launches Restarting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is nto worth the risk. Small launches may be the only game in town until there is a vaccine.

Without landowner permission there is no Tripoli insurance coverage.

From our Insurance FAQs:
Also called Insured Launch. Any launch of a rocket that meets ALL of the following constraints:
1. Responsible person (Launch Director and RSO - ss) of launch shall be member of Tripoli in good standing.
2. Follows the appropriate Tripoli Safety Code.
3. Legal: All AHJ (e.g. FAA waiver) requirements/regulations met and any required permits secured.
4. Landowner permission/constraints followed
Yes, I should have looked that up. Being a Tripoli member for 25+years I should have known that. Thanks Prez Steve.

We had a fantastic launch today. I LCO/RSOed fourteen flights. No lawn darts. One main failed to deploy and the rocket landed at 71 FPS. One lost PML IO. I think I signed five L1 certs (including one for NAR) and one Tripoli L2 cert. Everyone was polite and considerate, wearing masks when circumstances dictated that we be close (it’s difficult to help a student rack a rocket fro six feet away. I went through a ton of sanitizer. Weather was very cooperative. All in all it was a great day of flying. Next launch June 13; we should be able to have 50 people (not that we’ve ever had 20 even!)

SoAR is gonna try a low-mid power launch this Saturday. They are usually sparsely attended since the field is hilly and way out in the boonies, but there's pent-up demand (the weather shut us down for a few months before the virus did) and our local low-power field remains closed, and high power fields shut down for planting. We're trying out a flight-card app, switching from launch racks to CMASS-style satellite pad arrangement (also first launch with our new RF-based launch system that allows the pad arrangement).

Here's the rules we sent out on our public forum. Suggestions are welcome:

Rules:
  • Everyone is responsible for social distancing.
  • You must wear a mask when approaching the launch preparation or range safety tables
  • You must take off the mask to recover your rocket because we don't want anyone dying on the range
SoAR will:
  • Have launch pads 6 feet apart (we will be using the new RF system that gives us remarkable flexibility)
  • Have hand sanitizer at the RSO table
  • SoAR has sanitized our tables

Our May regional launch was cancelled - interesting that the weather looks to be very uncooperative anyway.

I just heard from the university (they own the farm that we use for launches) that all outreach activities have been cancelled until the end of August. That's pretty frustrating news.

I just heard from the university (they own the farm that we use for launches) that all outreach activities have been cancelled until the end of August. That's pretty frustrating news.

Just remember that the risk partially owned by them if infection occurs. I understand them want to avoid this risk.

Back