Launcher battery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schuyler

Reaction score
I just started getting into mid-power rockets and I need a good power source for the launcher. I will probably not be able to drive my car onto the launch area so my car battery is not an option. Has anyone used a portable jump starter? Is there any reason this would not work well? What other good options are there?

Yeah as far as I know a portable jump starter would work, I use a motorcycle battery myself.

I just started getting into mid-power rockets and I need a good power source for the launcher. I will probably not be able to drive my car onto the launch area so my car battery is not an option. Has anyone used a portable jump starter? Is there any reason this would not work well? What other good options are there?

Portable jumpstarters are the norm around here, and they work fine. I understand that there are considerable differences in the quality of the various jumpstarters, though. You might want to look carefully for recommendations on a particular brand/model.

At the risk of raising consternation among the masses on the forum, our club has been using the house brand Wal-Mart 600 amp jump starters as power supplies for our launch control and PA systems for years. Work very well, and each sells for under $50.00.

Best Regrds

IMO there's several really big advantages of a 3-in-1 jump starter versus individual batteries.

1.) Packaging. No loose batteries and comes with a carrying handle.

2.) AC/DC Charger included. No need to buy or build a charger and you can recharge it from you cigarette lighter if you need to.

3.) You have an air compressor for flat tires and water rockets.

4.) You have a light at dusk when you did one launch too many and have to put your stufff away.

5.) You can jump start your car after you left the lights on all-day.

Bob

IMO there's several really big advantages of a 3-in-1 jump starter versus individual batteries.

1.) Packaging. No loose batteries and comes with a carrying handle.

2.) AC/DC Charger included. No need to buy or build a charger and you can recharge it from you cigarette lighter if you need to.

3.) You have an air compressor for flat tires and water rockets.

4.) You have a light at dusk when you did one launch too many and have to put your stufff away.

5.) You can jump start your car after you left the lights on all-day.

Bob

10-4 on all of the above.

I've found for ease of maintanence and portability, and usually lower cost.
either a 7amp/Hr Gel-Cell battery or higher is a great value.

Some jump starters don't allow easy use without modifing the unit, if you go that way be sure there is a direct feed power port (lighter socket) or you may not be able to use it with your launcher.

Here are a couple i've been using for a very long time. the 26amp gel cell was a used emergency light unit when I got it in 1993. it's still going strong today. It's been used for club launches all day without problem for a hundred or so launches including clusters.

Hope this helps

I'm using a jump starter I got from Home Depot under the Husky brand. I understand it was made by Black & Decker. I lost my power adapter and just clipped the battery clips to the lugs on the end of my launcher wires. They tended to slip off, so I bought another adapter from Radio Shack. It plugs into the aux power port and has binding posts which I can plug bananna plugs into. It also works to start gas powered RC cars.

I'm now using 10 cell (12v) ncd packs from my old RCplane, 2000mah cells this pack will deliver 80amps in a burst if asked.
Ignites my cluster ship instantly and is lighter than a lead acid:)

Back