Launched my fist clustered rocket today!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gladiator1332

Reaction score
On my second try I got my first clustered rocket to launch and land successfully!

The first time i tried the engines didnt ignite at the same time and there was total disaster...that was the last time I launched....and now today on my first cluster attempt since that disaster I got it to work.

Today I tried 2 A-10-3T engines...so I'll probably try 3 next time.

clusters are the best!

My first time was a disaster too! It was 1969 (i beleive) and I had just spent my whole summer's savings and got an Estes 1:70th scale Saturn 1B (4 engine cluster)

Only 2, on one side, lit... ...i CRIED.... oh, it was terrible. What's worse... i launched it at my friends house while I was grounded. After this incident, I was d*mn near *planted*... LOL

But, i vowed that I would LEARN how to do clusters and I did. I love 'em and love the reaction they get at launches!

congrats on your successful flight
I also love clusters
my first cluster launch wasn't so successful. but persistence pays off.

I launched my first cluster, last week (a little known bird called a Deuce' Wild ;) ); and I had an igniter failer in one of the motors. I've launched it four more times since, with 100% success.

You cant beat the noise and smoke of a cluster - I'm hooked now!

My first cluster was not disaster,but heartbreak. It was an Astron Ranger: 3-18mm motors.

Back in the stone age (1970's) I did not know about clip-whips, and followed the ESTES Tech Reports that advised to twist the igniter wires together to form two leads. Since the stock igniters were too short, we used nichrome wire. The resistance was too great, and only 2 motors ignited. The rocket went up in a large arc, towards the side with the misfired motor.

Then came the heart lurching drop......the delay charge was too long for the underpowered flight. About 40 feet off the ground, the ejection charges went off. The booster came down nicely, but the nose/payload section chute did not have time to deploy. This would not have been so bad except the payload section landed on the paved service road at out launchsite.

The nosecone looke like someone had taken a bite out of it!!

Nowadays, I am sure I have the proper powered launch system, clip-whips, and nicely matched igniters. I have not had a cluster motor in a long while.... now it is time to try an AP cluster!!

Gongrats on your first successful cluster flight!:D

I alsoLOVE clusters. My first and still favorite cluster rocket was my scratch built " Rockets Red Glare" with 3 D/E motor mounts. I've also clustered 6 C's in another scratch built.
I wonder how many motors next time......
After anyone builds and fly a cluster, they're hooked for life!
Great crowd pleasers!
The key to successful cluster flights is: lots of juice, good connections, and good igniters.

Good luck on your future flights!

Back