Launched 2.....Lost 1.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My launch field was available since the corn was harvested, so I launched 2 rockets late Saturday! The Honest John went up on a timid C11-5 and flew and recovered well.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 31
My launch field was available since the corn was harvested, so I launched 2 rockets late Saturday! The Honest John went up on a timid C11-5 and flew and recovered well.

I love mini HoJo - it was a fun build, and it flies great on D12-5 and E12-7 motors!

But then I launched my Red Flare on an E12-6 with a too big mylar chute and it drifted away....😒

One thing I've observed with low-power rockets, is that I am yet to EVER regret flying them on a smaller chute!
I do recall many regrets over flying on too large (stock) chute, as the rocket drifts into the next zip code. But all of them have been sturdy enough to withstand a rough landing, or two, or descent on a smaller chute than what comes from Estes.

Consequently, I now throw away default plastic Estes chutes, and almost universally fly my low-power birds on 12"/15"/18" TARC chutes from Ky Michaelson:
https://the-rocketman.com/tarc-parachutes/
YMMV,
a

One thing I've observed with low-power rockets, is that I am yet to EVER regret flying them on a smaller chute!
I do recall many regrets over flying on too large (stock) chute, as the rocket drifts into the next zip code. But all of them have been sturdy enough to withstand a rough landing, or two, or descent on a smaller chute than what comes from Estes.

I Agree. Often I will go down at least one size chute than what Estes provides. Depending on the model and weather conditions might still use the spill hole too. If you are tossing out your plastic Estes chutes maybe you want to work a deal and slide those in an envelope and send them my way... just saying. 😉

I love mini HoJo - it was a fun build, and it flies great on D12-5 and E12-7 motors!

Consequently, I now throw away default plastic Estes chutes, and almost universally fly my low-power birds on 12"/15"/18" TARC chutes from Ky Michaelson:
https://the-rocketman.com/tarc-parachutes/
YMMV,
a
I can't remember how much weight I added to the NC but it was probably overkill.

I now throw away default plastic Estes chutes

Between being scorched, shroud lines ripped off, or generally FUBAR, I find Estes chutes are only good for a flight a two anyway. Basically a (more) disposable item. I bought a couple of Designer's Specials, so I have plenty. I use snap swivels for quick field changing or transferring.

If you are tossing out your plastic Estes chutes maybe you want to work a deal and slide those in an envelope and send them my way... just saying. 😉

If you, or anyone else, wants them, I have a stack of plastic Estes chutes taking up space in one of my drawers. Not even sure how many, but more than a couple (few went straight into the trash can).
Make me an offer (beer per chute? + shipping), and they are yours!

a

P.S.: There are a couple of Estes models where only the plastic chutes will physically fit into the body/motor tube. SR-71 and Screaming Eagle are two that come to mind.

Give Top Flight Recovery thin mill line of chutes a try they are great for model rockets. They pack small, fabric dosen't get sticky, work very well in cold weather.

Nylon chutes are great. The best chute I've gotten so far has been in my 4" LOC Goblin kit. Not sure what it is made of (it feels somewhat like nylon), but it's wonderfully low-friction and durable.

Between being scorched, shroud lines ripped off, or generally FUBAR, I find Estes chutes are only good for a flight a two anyway. Basically a (more) disposable item. I bought a couple of Designer's Specials, so I have plenty. I use snap swivels for quick field changing or transferring.
I stick a piece of scotch tape over the holes and send it back in. I like those Top Flight Recovery chutes. I'd have to buy a lot because I'm afraid I'll lose track of which chute goes in which rocket, usually based on the performance of the previous launch.

I stick a piece of scotch tape over the holes and send it back in. I like those Top Flight Recovery chutes. I'd have to buy a lot because I'm afraid I'll lose track of which chute goes in which rocket, usually based on the performance of the previous launch.
Write yourself up a sheet of launch configurations - chute size and motor(s) to use, then leave it in your range box.

It is truly amazing how far they will drift. I usually use the next size down from what comes with the kit, or spill hole. I try to build the rocket strong. Paper the fins, fillets etc. Some land with the nose cone out but no chute, usually no damage.

My main problem with the plastic Estes chutes is that they can self-stick, particularly in humid conditions. Pretty sure my wife lost her Big Bertha that way.

Back