Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven88

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
hello. I’m super excited to do my first dual deploy launch on this coming Wednesday. My question is, is there any harm in prepping the rocket the night before, even packing parachutes and screwing parts together (everything except turning on the altimeter)? I will be on a tight launch schedule on Wednesday as I have to work part of the day and trying to get some of the prep work done early but don’t want the parachutes to be folded so long they don’t open as well

Nylon parachutes don't have the same issues staying folded as plastic parachutes do. I often build motors and prep charges before driving out to a launch.

Does it hurt to hook up my 9v Duracell battery to the altimeter the night before or could it possible partially drain over night hooked up even with the altimeter off?

Does it hurt to hook up my 9v Duracell battery to the altimeter the night before or could it possible partially drain over night hooked up even with the altimeter off?

As long as the battery is not switched out, and not turning the altimeter on, you should be ok.

Note- I use the same 9v battery for launches over several months, but check it with a voltmeter the night before the launch, just to make sure it's good.

Sometimes I prep mine then can't launch, and just leave it like that till the next month and go launch. If you leave BP charges prepped with e-matches in them, make sure the rocket is not pointing at anything valuable, especially not people.

My duracell 9V batteries tended to stay in the av-bays for about 3 years, or until the voltage read by the altimeter dropped below 8.9V

I typically only did 2 flights per battery.

Prepping as much as reasonably possible before leaving helps prevent lots of failures at launches. At a launch, you have friends and strangers stopping by, the wind is blowing, you are perhaps tired from the drive, rockets are going up which is a distraction, and you are probably under time pressure... One thing not done well enough means one rocket lost or worse.

Gerald

I have one big bird almost ready to fly. No motor in her, but that's it. Chute, charges, av bay, etc. are all ready to go and will stay that way.

Good luck. Did someone mentor you on dual deploy? Is your nose cone properly secured so it doesn't come off at apogee?

Back