Launch weight question?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoWalks

Reaction score
Hello, I am new to Rocketry and am currently building my first low power rocket. I am going to be starting to build a Mid-power rocket soon. As I read all the available information I have developed a question on "Loaded Launch Weight". I am wondering if my understanding of the following is correct.

If I want to go to a school or just a large field to launch my model rocket, this is ok without a waiver if the rocket is under 1# and meets all other criteria?

If I go to an organized launch where waivers are in affect my rocket can then be 3.3#'s or less without my having some type of license or personal waiver?

Thanks
TwoWalks

If the rocket weighs in between 1 and 3.3 lbs., and isn't powered by anything bigger than a G motor, you have to call in notification to the FAA. This can be done with Flight Service (1-800-WXBRIEF will automatically get you to the correct one for your area), or by calling the local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). It will be essential for you to be able to tell them exactly where you'll be launching, preferably in reference to a nearby navaid with radial & distance.

Anything weighing more than 3.3 lbs. or powered by an H motor or higher requires an actual launch waiver, and you'll need appropriate certification.

The NAR website has some really useful info about this in greater detail than would be appropriate to post here. Check out www.nar.org.

Thanks Chilly, wanted to make sure I was not mis-understanding what I had read on NAR.

Again, thanks for taking the time to answer my question, I appreciate it.

Back