Launch Video Cameras and Editing Programs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Hala

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I started seeing all of the club launch videos in Youtube earlier this year. In fact they were a part of why I got back into the hobby.

Anyways, I'm curious about what cameras people and editing software people use to create these videos.

I just picked up a mobius mini camera. I’ll be able to test it for the first time in 2 weeks. Looking forward to seeing the results.
I’ve seen people make videos where they overlaid altimeter data. I’d love to know what they used for that. (The video editing, not the altimeter)

I started seeing all of the club launch videos in Youtube earlier this year. In fact they were a part of why I got back into the hobby.

Anyways, I'm curious about what cameras people and editing software people use to create these videos.

If you’re asking about onboard cameras, I use the RunCam 2 and mobius mini. They are real easy to use. The mobius mini only has about 25-28 minutes of battery run time so you have to keep that in mind. For editing, I usually do the splicing and text with iMovie and then use Race Render 3 for the gauges and data stuff. I’ve seen better edits than mine on here for sure, much better in fact, and I’m not sure what they were using. Some neat SpaceX timeline looking stuff.

Here is one way to mount the runcam.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/index.php?posts/1779637/

Thanks for the update BryRocket.

I am more interested in the cameras used by the flyers like the FITS videos. I have a Nikon B800 DSLR and it does okay, but it's not really designed for taking videos.

Thanks for the update BryRocket.

I am more interested in the cameras used by the flyers like the FITS videos. I have a Nikon B800 DSLR and it does okay, but it's not really designed for taking videos.
Ryan Winslow (flyfalcons on TRF) uses a camcorder, he also uses the infinity focus function iirc , Kris Hull (Hull AeroImages) and Jim Wilkerson (Tahoma Photography) both use high end DSLR's with nice telephoto lenses.

I've been videoing from the ground since 1993. I've used 6 cameras, all recording to tape except the current one, a Panasonic HC-X920. Onboard I've used 808 key fob cameras and for the Deuce Kodak Zi6 and Zi10 (about the size of a pack of cigarettes). I've been posting to Youtube since 2009.
My Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/TomB0667/videos?view_as=subscriber
For a unique perspective, search my channel for Deuce onboard :)

Back