launch tower

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewallace

Reaction score
I decided to build a launch tower for my min dia rockets. I used a piece of 12" PVC and 3/4" EMT.
It is adjustable to accommodate rockets form 29mm to 75mm min diameter and is 72" tall. I will be using ratchet tie downs and staked to the ground for guide wires
Here are some pics

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

tower.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

I like it. I might downscale the design for 24mm and 29mm Machbusters :D

That looks really good, ewallace

Standing in front of the garage doors, that looks like 6 or 7 feet tall. Kind of at the size where it's not quite handy to stuff into the back seat, and just a little too much trouble to dis-assemble. (You tie it to the roof rack, right?)

Good job! Looks simple, easy to use, requires no special parts.
Thanks for sharing the pix

That looks really good, ewallace

Standing in front of the garage doors, that looks like 6 or 7 feet tall. Kind of at the size where it's not quite handy to stuff into the back seat, and just a little too much trouble to dis-assemble. (You tie it to the roof rack, right?)

Good job! Looks simple, easy to use, requires no special parts.
Thanks for sharing the pix

The tower is 6' tall and I just need a adjustable wrench to adjust the rails. I drive a truck so it is no problum to load it up and take it to a launch:D

Where did you get that green pipe? If I didn't know any better I'd say that was some SDR 36 sewer main pipe that was left out in the sun too long.

Are you making your own pad or attaching this to a club pad? I think if you mount a 1/2" rod to one of the wood pieces and leave it stick out the bottom 6" - 8" you should be able to use this on most any pad Team1 and Michiana own.

Looking good. Can't wait to see this baby in action.

-Dave

Where did you get that green pipe? If I didn't know any better I'd say that was some SDR 36 sewer main pipe that was left out in the sun too long.

Are you making your own pad or attaching this to a club pad? I think if you mount a 1/2" rod to one of the wood pieces and leave it stick out the bottom 6" - 8" you should be able to use this on most any pad Team1 and Michiana own.

Looking good. Can't wait to see this baby in action.

-Dave

Hi Dave
You are correct it is sewer main pipe:D
No pad needed I plan on setting it up next to the away pads and use a set of wires from the nearest pad.
I am planing on launching my Carbon 75mm min dia rocket on a loki M motor
and my Carbon 54mm min dia rocket on a K motor at Mid West Power out of the tower if the weather is good for flights to 25000'. If the weather is not good at MWP I will be down sizing the motors for Three Oaks to a AMW L700 in the 75mm sims to 15000' and a loki J-175 or a AMW K-475 in the 54mm sims to 12000'

I managed to snag a scrap piece o' pipe myself. Now I can build a tower.
Just wondering how you cut this stuff though. What I Have is 3/8'' thick, jigsaw perhaps?

Thanks

Greg

Greg,

A jigsaw will probably do it albeit rather slowly. Pipe crews installing sewer main typically use gas powered chop saws with abrasive blades on them. Esentially a cross between a chainsaw and a circular saw. I bet you don't have one. ;) A circular saw with an abrasive blade would probably work better. However you cut it, do it outside. Those tiny bits of green plastic go everywhere and would be annoying to clean up.

-Dave

I managed to snag a scrap piece o' pipe myself. Now I can build a tower.
Just wondering how you cut this stuff though. What I Have is 3/8'' thick, jigsaw perhaps?

Thanks

Greg

You may be able to cut with a jigsaw. If you have a skill saw you can cut it with a carbide blade I used a table saw with a carbide blade:D

Back