Launch Site Ideas

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOSbermunda

Reaction score
I have gotten to the point where I need an area larger than a soccer field or two to launch from, as I am flying E's, F's, and possibly G's. I live in rural Ohio (Celina) and used to launch from a farmer's field that we knew and had permission from. But currently, the crops are up, so that's a no-go. There are very few open spaces around here that aren't fields, and I don't want to have to wait until early September to launch my new Bounty Hunter kit. Can anyone give me any ideas I may not have thought of for launch sites?
(Here is my town on google maps)

Any hay fields? I used to live in Miami County (North of Dayton) and hay fields, within a few weeks of them being baled, always worked great.

Sod farms are also pretty commonly used for launches, though you'll probably have more landowner rules to keep from interfering with their machinery/product.

How about county fairgrounds?

I am in NE Ohio and fly at the Lorain County fairgrounds. It’s not perfect but can easily accommodate D motors.

Personally, I would be very happy with existing permission from a private landowner and flying in his field from September onwards! Looking for new permission or dealing with municipalities can be a royal pain.

Side note: I use a city park sports complex for my LPR and some MPR launches if the wind is right. The park is pretty open during the week and offseason. It is friendly to model airplaners and rocketeers, which is unusual. However, during COVID shutdown, with nobody working, no gyms open, and nothing to do, the park is now full of joggers, yoga gatherings, dog walkers, sunbathers and people milling around at all hours. Too congested for safe rocket flying.

Pop on over to Wapakoneta on Saturday and meet some of the members of Wright Stuff Rocketeers at the Armstrong Museum. We fly all year round at field that can handle E, F and G motors. In the summer we fly in Huber Heights. In the winter we move to a field near Cedarville for high power launches. I won't be there Saturday, but a few people should be there if the weather is decent. The Armstrong field is tiny; and I mean tiny. A and B motors for the most part.

Back