Launch Site Difficulties...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to make a suggestion, Have you checked out to see if the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds has a lot big enough to fly in ? KOSMO has been flying at the Kansas State Fairgrounds for a number of years now.

Have you checked out to see if the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds has a lot big enough to fly in ?
Hello, Tommie D! Yes. I've looked at the fairgrounds on Google Earth. When I looked at the website for the OK State Fairgrounds, to try to find out who to talk to, I came across their fee schedule for use of the area. In short, we can't afford it. Perhaps they would let us use the site without a fee, and I really should ask. My gut just tells me that that enegery would be better used somewhere else. But, I will pack that doubt away and try to arrange a visit with them. Thanks again for the suggestion!

This year, we're *mostly* flying on Saturdays, to accommodate the students at SWOSU working on the Argonia Cup Challenge. There are some Sat/Sun launches scheduled, too. I looked at the map on your web site. You guys have to drive about as far as we do!
Good to know, Sooner Boomer! Yes, it's about the same distance. As I mentioned in the PM I sent you, we're not always able to keep to our schedule due to the land owners availability. I don't think any of us have flown as a group since Tulsa Rocketry's High Frontier launch in Pawhuska back in Oct. There may have been a few individuals that've gone to Argonia... Now that I'm thinking about it. Anyway, we're really hoping to find something local where families could come join us for some low power model rocket flights. Hope to see you out on the range sometime!

after watching that video it looks like the launch field of Dreams.
Sometime good dreams, sometimes nightmares... I *really* wish we had a more local field.* Also, if you look at the video, you can see how open the area is. Why, oh why, do so many rockets hit the runway (or nearby road)?
whack.jpg

*I guess this proves OKC is the center of the rocketry world. We're 200 miles from the main launch sites in the area... 200 miles to Sayre, 200 miles to Argonia, 200 miles to Pawhuska (Tulsa Rocketry), 200 miles to Seymour, 200 miles to DFW...

My local NAR club (PARC 710) out of Oklahoma City is having a LOT of trouble finding a local site for low-mid power launches. We’re actively exploring several options including privately owned agricultural property and public spaces.

Now my comment/question: Is it worth pushing back on the prohibition based on the premise that model rockets are incapable of “sustained flight?” For those who have recently been given permission to launch rockets on private land, how the heck did you do it? Did you have an in, or a connection? Did you have to navigate the litigious corporate environment where your pleas fell on deaf ears?

A quick google search reveals a lawyer in the Oklahoma City metro area whose hobby is model rockets.

http://www.teaguewetsel.com/about/charles-e-wetsel/

I've been negotiating on behalf of the Eugene Rocketry club in Oregon for a launch space. The City of Eugene has been a tough sell, probably has a lot to do with some chucklehead starting a 40 acre brush fire in the city a few years back.

I've had better luck with the local parks authorities across the river in Springfield and they are receptive to designating a space for launches. I've also gotten permission from the Springfield school district to rent their athletic fields for club launches. If Oklahoma City is resistant, try one of the surrounding suburbs.

One angle I have thought about using as an ace up my sleeve is that the Oregon state laws have defined model rockets as "exempt fireworks" under the consumer fireworks statutes. I'm not a lawyer but it seems reasonable to me that specifically exempting an activity that falls under the general category of fireworks laws suggests that the legislature wrote the law to limit the state's authority over regulating model rockets. Check your state laws to see if they have similar wording.

Wow!!! That's an interesting find! Thank you for thinking of searching for this. I may reach out to him and see if he's willing to lend us a hand with the OKC parks department. :) 👍

I was curious as to whether your state's fireworks laws are like Oregon's, in that model rocketry is classified as "exempt fireworks" and his name popped up. I'd be curious as to whether as a lawyer he could determine if such a state statute pre-empts a local city ordinance that restricts model rocketry.

According to oklahoma stautes, article 68, chapter 1, article 16 "1. “Previous TermFireworksNext Term” means any composition or device for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation, and which are further described as Consumer Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.4G, Display Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.3G, Articles, Pyrotechnic 1.4G or 1.4S as defined by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) Title 49, CFR. The term “consumer Previous TermfireworksNext Term” shall not include toy cap pistols and caps, blank cartridges, railroad flares and model rockets or any novelty. This provision shall not impose labeling requirements for any Previous TermfireworksNext Term or novelties other than those required under federal law;"

According to oklahoma stautes, article 68, chapter 1, article 16 "1. “Previous TermFireworksNext Term” means any composition or device for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation, and which are further described as Consumer Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.4G, Display Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.3G, Articles, Pyrotechnic 1.4G or 1.4S as defined by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) Title 49, CFR. The term “consumer Previous TermfireworksNext Term” shall not include toy cap pistols and caps, blank cartridges, railroad flares and model rockets or any novelty. This provision shall not impose labeling requirements for any Previous TermfireworksNext Term or novelties other than those required under federal law;"

So the next question is, does that "shall not include" clause imply that there is a limit on regulating model rockets?

What I found in my state's legislative history is interesting. Prior to a 2013 update, the relevant Oregon law declared model rockets to be exempt fireworks, and went on to say

Open ORS 480.110 2011 edition.png

When they updated the law in 2013, they dropped that last sentence. However, the 2013 change was only designed to change definitions merely to conform with national terminology so as to not be confusing for out of state fireworks companies, not change policy.

As I'd mentioned before, I'm holding this as an ace up my sleeve. I prefer amicable negotiations, but I'll go to adversary mode if needed.

According to oklahoma stautes, article 68, chapter 1, article 16 "1. “Previous TermFireworksNext Term” means any composition or device for the purpose of producing a visible or an audible effect by combustion, explosion, deflagration or detonation, and which are further described as Consumer Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.4G, Display Previous TermFireworksNext Term 1.3G, Articles, Pyrotechnic 1.4G or 1.4S as defined by the United States Department of Transportation (DOT) Title 49, CFR. The term “consumer Previous TermfireworksNext Term” shall not include toy cap pistols and caps, blank cartridges, railroad flares and model rockets or any novelty.As it may cause ocean pollution and not only,causing danger to the environment,btw i've read about all that on this page which i have found very useful for my study.This provision shall not impose labeling requirements for any Previous TermfireworksNext Term or novelties other than those required under federal law;"
Hey,sorry if i am late to the party but as a member of OKC Rocketry, I can say that launching our rockets is both exciting and challenging. While the joy of seeing our creations soar into the sky is unmatched, finding suitable launch sites can be a bit of a struggle. The process of securing permission for private property launches often involves navigating legal and corporate complexities, which can be discouraging at times.

Public spaces, such as city parks, are unfortunately off-limits for model rocket launches according to the Oklahoma City Municipal Code. This limitation poses additional hurdles for us to find suitable locations within the city.

However, despite these challenges, our club remains dedicated to pursuing our hobby. We actively explore different avenues, such as connecting with private landowners or collaborating with local authorities, to identify viable launch sites. It requires persistence, resourcefulness, and sometimes even creative problem-solving.

Fortunately, the support and camaraderie within our club make the process easier. We share tips, experiences, and contacts with each other, leveraging our collective knowledge to find launch sites and navigate any obstacles that may arise. The club provides a valuable platform for collaboration and mutual assistance.

Overall, while it may not always be easy to launch our rockets, the passion we have for the hobby and the sense of community within OKC Rocketry keep us motivated. We are continuously exploring new possibilities, advocating for rocketry as a recreational and educational pursuit, and working towards finding spaces where our hobby can truly flourish.

Last edited:
Hey,sorry if i am late to the party but as a member of OKC Rocketry, I can say that launching our rockets is both exciting and challenging. While the joy of seeing our creations soar into the sky is unmatched, finding suitable launch sites can be a bit of a struggle. The process of securing permission for private property launches often involves navigating legal and corporate complexities, which can be discouraging at times.

Public spaces, such as city parks, are unfortunately off-limits for model rocket launches according to the Oklahoma City Municipal Code. This limitation poses additional hurdles for us to find suitable locations within the city.

However, despite these challenges, our club remains dedicated to pursuing our hobby. We actively explore different avenues, such as connecting with private landowners or collaborating with local authorities, to identify viable launch sites. It requires persistence, resourcefulness, and sometimes even creative problem-solving.

Fortunately, the support and camaraderie within our club make the process easier. We share tips, experiences, and contacts with each other, leveraging our collective knowledge to find launch sites and navigate any obstacles that may arise. The club provides a valuable platform for collaboration and mutual assistance.

Overall, while it may not always be easy to launch our rockets, the passion we have for the hobby and the sense of community within OKC Rocketry keep us motivated. We are continuously exploring new possibilities, advocating for rocketry as a recreational and educational pursuit, and working towards finding spaces where our hobby can truly flourish.
What happened to the Deal family farm near Billings, OK? It's on the club page.

https://www.nar.org/local_club/okc-rocketry-okcr-710/

Back