Launch rod storage...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brer Shaygetz

Reaction score
Nothing quite like bending your launch rods between flight sessions. I used a piece of 3/4" pipe to store my rods for a long time, then I got a E powered rocket requiring a longer thicker rod.

Working at a foundry led me to these packages of alloy rods we used in making sand molds for large castings. The empty case makes a perfect, near water proof case for all my rods, regardless of length, with plenty of room to put fellow modeler's rods as well.

Might be worth looking up a local foundry or welder for one yourself...
IMG_20211120_234348044.jpgIMG_20211120_234356001.jpgIMG_20211120_234434228.jpg

3/4” pvc with a slip cap on the bottom and a threaded slip fitting on the top, so you can cap and uncap it. Mine is just over 6 ft long to accommodate longer launch rods. I also glued a coin inside the bottom and top caps so when i drop a rod in from the top or the rods slide back and forth inside, they won’t eventually poke a hole through the end cap.

I also glued a coin inside the bottom and top caps so when i drop a rod in from the top or the rods slide back and forth inside, they won’t eventually poke a hole through the end cap.
Funny...I glue stacked pennies into my trains to add weight because, pound for pound, it's the cheapest thing going. So our coinage is worth more as wear resistance and dead weight than as...you know, money?😉👍

I mixed it up between mini buttons and 1/8” rods. I have a four foot rail, the rod slips perfectly inside the middle hole In the rail, not only protects it but tends to straighten out an bends or curves.

Nothing quite like bending your launch rods between flight sessions. I used a piece of 3/4" pipe to store my rods for a long time, then I got a E powered rocket requiring a longer thicker rod.

Working at a foundry led me to these packages of alloy rods we used in making sand molds for large castings. The empty case makes a perfect, near water proof case for all my rods, regardless of length, with plenty of room to put fellow modeler's rods as well.

Might be worth looking up a local foundry or welder for one yourself...
View attachment 490939View attachment 490940View attachment 490941
Awfully shiny. Are those stainless steel launch rods?

Back