Launch rod mod for different size rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flash6

Reaction score
Since not all rockets are the same height nor do they have the launch lug in the same place, how do you set up your launch rod for each rocket?

I've only had one rocket to worry about up to now so I just put a piece of masking tape around the rod to keep the rocket from resting on the engine. However, now I've also got a Quest Nike-K with the launch lug built into the fin assembly at the base. If I use the same rod with the masking tape in the same place the Nike sits about half way up the rod.

What do you guys/gals use to adjust the height on the rod?

I'm thinking about trying a small rubber band or piece of rubber tubing.

Thanks for any tips

A spent motor case, clothepin, spring clamps (metal), duct tape...what ever will work.

use some sort of metal clip....
bxp26602.jpg

Originally posted by Flash6
Since not all rockets are the same height nor do they have the launch lug in the same place, how do you set up your launch rod for each rocket?

For safety and stability, the longer the better. I just use the full length of my long rods, setting the rocket all the way down to the stop which is either a piece of that black ceramoplastic AT uses for engine casings, or a clothes pin.

If I were going to fly something for competition, where every inch mattered, I'd use a shorter rod. I have both 3 and 4 foot rods in my capped PVC pipe carrier, as well as a six foot (well, 5 useable) 1/4" rod for my Mantis. I always carry all the rods with me. One time at a club launch I felt it better to use a four foot 1/8" rod for one of mine, and replaced their 3' rod with mine for the launch.

Wooden cloths pins have always worked best for me.. I even found some tiny ones to use with micros:D... 1 ,2, or 3 depending on how much room is needed under the model. Plastic and rubber spacers or blocks don't last very long in the jet exhaust, you may not think it gets very hot around the launch rod but it does indeed. At one time I used 3" x 3/16" springs but they tended to go with the model:(
Heres a pic of the clothspins at work. Yea its a 1/4" rod in this pic but I use the same method with 1/8" and 3/16" as well. also note that I'm resting the Bottom of the model on the pins NOT the launch lug. Hope this helps.

YES! Wood clothes pins rule! Just make sure you spend at least $1.49 for a bag of pins since those 99 cent ppins are very weak/small. The stronger the spring the better.

And also, buy longer launch rods. This helps with those goofy models with the lugs located too far up. The lug pops off a normal rod after only 2 feet of travel and the rocket is just not going fast enough.

Here is what our club uses and it helps a GREAT deal with Venus Probes on C6-3 motors and Maxi V-2s with E9-4 motors:

1/8" dia x 4 feet long

3/16" dia x 5 feet long

1/4" dia x 6 feet long

Originally posted by Micromeister
Wooden cloths pins have always worked best for me.. I even found some tiny ones to use with micros:D... 1 ,2, or 3 depending on how much room is needed under the model. Plastic and rubber spacers or blocks don't last very long in the jet exhaust, you may not think it gets very hot around the launch rod but it does indeed. At one time I used 3" x 3/16" springs but they tended to go with the model:(
Heres a pic of the clothspins at work. Yea its a 1/4" rod in this pic but I use the same method with 1/8" and 3/16" as well. also note that I'm resting the Bottom of the model on the pins NOT the launch lug. Hope this helps.

at our club launches, we have both 6' and 3' rods set up, and mostly use spent BP motors as stand offs. If we need to shorten a rod, it's usually with masking tape.

Loopy

On lighter rockets clothes pins or masking tape. On heavy rockets I use a 4"x4" hardwood block placed under the edge of the airframe.

These are 3/4" dia. aluminum slugs, 1/2" thick, drilled for 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4 rods. The sides are drilled and tapped for 10-32 bolts. Slide them up or down, wherever you need them.

Back