[Launch Report] Thank you lawnmower guy!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
Went out this morning before it got too hot and while the winds were calm (I thought!).

First up was my reliable Estes Dink on an A3-4T. Great alt and good recovery with it's streamer. Landed close to the pad, so far so good!

Next was my Estes Big Bertha "The Beat Stick" on a C6-3. Another great flight as it powered up for it's 21st launch! Perfect flight and another close recovery.

Based on those two flights I then prepped my other Estes Big Bertha that has a "D" motor mount. Loaded the "Bertha-D" with a D12-5 and got it on the pad. Then the wind started to pick up. It didn't seem too bad so I pressed the button and it roared up high and smooth, weathercocking into the wind during the "coast phase". Good deployment but it was not coming down very fast on it's 12" Semroc parachute. It drifted out of the park and landed in a low tree! Luckily one of the park landscape guys was on his lawnmower nearby and he helped me get it down with a long tree trimmer. Thank you lawnmower guy! :D

I then launched my Semroc Vega with a C6-3 and it put in a textbook flight and landing, drifting a bit but not nearly as far as the Bertha-D.

So, I think that I will add a spill hole for the Bertha-D and wait for calmer days. I have launched a few "D-power" rockets here and most land in the park, even my Semroc Goblin with it's 8" 'chute.

Thank the rocket gods for a happy ending- I had visions of "rocket mulch" as a mullet-wearing lawn custodian rocked out to AC/DC watching the jogging girls run by as he mowed the park! Whew-faith in humanity (slightly) restored!

I had the same vision Dave but not quite as elaborate. :rofl:

Thank the rocket gods for a happy ending- I had visions of "rocket mulch" as a mullet-wearing lawn custodian rocked out to AC/DC watching the jogging girls run by as he mowed the park! Whew-faith in humanity (slightly) restored!

Describe the jogging girls? Blonde or brunette...color of tops ...stacked??

My heart was in my throat...but not for the same reason as "afterburner".... LOL!

Back