[Launch Report] Spacepirate tries out the new "Starters".

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
It's been three months since my last flights and the temperature is finally comfortable enough for a sunrise launch. I tried out the new Estes Starters for three of my flights this morning and I didn't notice any difference compared to the old Igniters.

First up was my Estes Dink on an A3-4T and a "Starter". Even though I have old batteries that have been sitting in the controller all Summer the Dink took off immediately and zoomed to a great altitude. Nominal flight with minimal drift with streamer recovery.

I then flew my clone of an Estes Javelin (The "Mini Brute" one that came with the Super Flea, not the Centuri one.) on an 1/4A3-3T and an Igniter. A nice and straight flight, not too high, and a safe recovery. There is not much room in the rocket to pack in the shock cord, streamer, and wadding so I made a wire hook to pull the shock cord down through the body tube and then "breach loaded" the wadding up the motor end. It worked very well!

Next was the Quest Planet Probe with a C6-0 and a "Starter". I love the way this cone shaped rocket flies! Very smooth and stable.

Last was my Semroc Goblin for it's Lucky 13th flight! This was it's fourth flight on a D12-5, straight up and nearly out of sight! It came down safely, across the street, with it's 8" 'chute. This rocket is quite beat up from some hard landings and the stress from the heat of 24mm C and D power, but it keeps flying fabulously! The Goblin is one of my favorite designs and I am glad that I got a second kit before Semroc ran out. I might build that one later, but I'll fly this one until it dies or suffers some other fate. Again, the new Starter worked like a charm.:D

A great way to start my launching "season"! (Summer is just too hot in this part of AZ.)

Welcome back to the sky! Now the ground has cooled a bit, those nasty thermals just might start to hibernate. Straight smoke and good chutes, brother!

Welcome back to the sky! Now the ground has cooled a bit, those nasty thermals just might start to hibernate. Straight smoke and good chutes, brother!

Thanks! I have a few new rockets to get up soon too. I hope your rockets have all been stable!

Anybody else have a report on the new starters?

Launching rockets (or missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPad Air using Rocketry Forum.

No, but I made a dumb mistake the other day! Don't worry--this is igniter-related.

I left work early on a gorgeous day, grabbed two E-powered rockets, loaded them up, and went to a sports field. Instead of using Estes igniters with the short wires, I stuck Q2G2s in them.

Wired up my Estes E-launch controller. Inserted the safety to do a continuity check, and woosh! Away went the rocket. I forgot that Q2G2s are low-current, and that Estes continuity voltage always lights them off. Woops.

I ordered some Estes Sonic igniters as my stash was depleted as spares for the range box. Dont love em..but cant bust out a $4 first fire jr to light a $5 e reload.

Kenny

Wired up my Estes E-launch controller. Inserted the safety to do a continuity check, and woosh! Away went the rocket. I forgot that Q2G2s are low-current, and that Estes continuity voltage always lights them off. Woops.

Jonrocket.com offers a drop in replacement for the bulb that will convert your controller to be safe with low current starters. They offer single quantity for a penny plus whatever the shipping is.

If the weather is nice then I'll try out more "starters" this coming Monday (Columbus Day). I wonder how they would do with a cluster? The Astron Ranger and Cobra were produced back when the old bare nichrome igniters were used, weren't they?

I've used about two dozen starters in Estes engines with the plastic plugs holding them in place. Zero failure rate. If anyone is interested this is with my 12V car starter jump pack and also club 12V system.

I've noticed that you have to be a little careful with the force used while inserting the plug - listen for a little click which indicates something might have separated at the business end.

I launched this morning. I felt like the new starters heated up a little slower than the old igniters. I had one ignition failure but it was the motor. I used a basic 9v battery. It was a new battery but I felt like I held the button down a little longer.

No, but I made a dumb mistake the other day! Don't worry--this is igniter-related.

I left work early on a gorgeous day, grabbed two E-powered rockets, loaded them up, and went to a sports field. Instead of using Estes igniters with the short wires, I stuck Q2G2s in them.

The newest Estes launch controllers (the orange ones that come with the new all in one Rocket/Launch Pad/Launch controller packs like Tandem X) have the low voltage continuity bulbs and WILL NOT fire off the Q2G2s on continuity check.

Back