Launch Report - SCRA 2012-08-11 - Southern California

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score

Hot hot hot was the forecast for the Rocketry Organization of California's August launch with temps climbing into the low 40s C. I really wanted to go, but I knew I'd be miserable. July was a barren month for launching, so I needed a fix.

Leave it to Fred and Martin (and Larry) to provide relief in the form of the Southern California Rocketry Association launch at the Santa Fe Damn Recreational Area.

Now Irwindale, CA was also predicted to hit the high 30's so it's not like it was going to be cool, but there IS a difference between those two temps, subtle as it may be. In several pictures you can see the storm clouds brewing to the north.

Ok so onward.

Last launch I was the last or nearly last person in the last round and had a misfire with a small self-dipped Quick Burst. I just never did get it mixed right. I am not sure what I did wrong as I am pretty good at following directions. I am sure it's something I did... but it was months ago, and I since moved back to Magnalite. Anyway that left a D15-4 loaded and ready to go in the old The Launch Pad Osiris MPM using my own home made wirewrap ignitor and the Magnalite dip which worked great.

She had a great ride to 271' according to the Altimeter Two. the delay was more like 6 but it all held together with a nice touchdown on the 24 x 18 (I think) rectangular mylar chute. Not much fire and brimstone from blue thunder D15s.

7762011114_38a9c60d5b_b.jpg

7762013552_45c658e9f6_b.jpg

Next up I prepped a 2xC6-5 cluster in the Big Bertha. Recall from my build thread here on TRF in the scratch forum the BB has interchangeable motor mounts using plastic pop rivets to hold them in.

Well shoot... only one lit causing a long arcing flight, but it all held together after an Altimeter One recorded 209' apogee. After I recovered it you could see one lead on the ignitor had melted outside of the motor.

7762014062_bcb8f075ef_b.jpg

7762019946_963b57b89e_b.jpg

7762021452_6b3eeed6fa_b.jpg

Quest Nike smoke, on a Quest B6-4 to 173' according to the Altimeter One. Nice recovery on a 10 inch (25cm) nylon chute.

7762023336_0e23b6854c_b.jpg

7762024820_3ff00c5450_b.jpg

What's to say? I love the looks. I am proud of my work on it, but it flies like doggie doo doo. On C6-3 again it spirals and wobbles faster and faster. I believe it's something to do with the intake tunnel, but who knows? I am not the only one who's noted this feature of the rocket.

The Altmeter Two flashed out 221' @ 96mph. Recovery was nominal on a 12 inch nylon chute.

7762025830_9cdbe1b9d1_b.jpg

Rollin over

7762026366_cfe5dc34f5_b.jpg

Rollin more...

7762026794_330e510b3e_b.jpg

Launched the Flis Night Whisper on an Estes C6-3 (code 12 C 1)...

It was a C6-.25 :mad::mad::y::eyepop: :surprised::surprised:

And the result is below. Yes I am going to file a MESS and yes I am going to contact Estes. They can't replace my Night Whisper but I can get something to build or for parts.

7762039382_4b0dc168e5_b.jpg

Which took this:

7762036146_84e12b7765_b.jpg

To This :cry::cry::cry::cry:

7762043512_d2f07ef44d_b.jpg

Flew the first rocket I built as a BAR back in '97 again. A Custom Rockets Engage. It loves C5-3s. This one performed great and the NAR has already been emailed with the code and results. Altitude was 246' as told by the Altimeter Two.

Always a nice demo rocket.

7762042096_176756ca5c_b.jpg

Was getting warm, but a nice (slight) breeze made it bearable for sure. I was able to get in two more flights.

I had a very nice flight with the Odd'l Rockets Squatty Body - which I turned into a sort of 'Der Squatty Max' - on an A8-3.

Packing the recovery system is a real challenge. I went with a long crepe paper streamer this time as last time it pretty much melted a chute. I wrapped some wadding around the streamer and that seemed to work ok. The nose cone (with the weight) still lead the way down, but it was recovered on hard ground without damage!

Catching this little booger in flight is not that easy...

7762044726_d3a6f17305_b.jpg

7762046462_d8c0613096_b.jpg

Now that I have bored you to tears, I'll wrap up...

I had flown everything I had prepped. You never know at SCRA launches how many rounds will get launched as it depends on a LOT of different variables... none of which I control. (I could bring my own pad but then it's kinda hard to take pictures AND launch - maybe a foot switch?)

I had nothing else prepped but I did have the C6-5 motor that did not fire in the Big Bertha cluster, so swapped out the 2x18 mount for the 1 x 18mm mount and I prepped that again. It flew nicely to an Altimeter One reported 368'.

I'll spare you the picture of that and instead show a nice picture of a someones Nike-K on a AT White Lightening. And a nice glider caught in the act of launching.

Well thats it. All in all a good day... sad to sipper the Night Whisper... it is repairable but there is also a small buckle in lower tube at the fin can because it came down with most of the shroud lines ripped off. :mad::mad:
So I am unsure if I'll rebuild or just move on... only had 4 flights on it. :(

All the pictures are on flickr here

7762032718_81a92e48b9_b.jpg

7762027282_608280460e_b.jpg

Jeff ,great pix ,whish mine turned out like those ,very nice.

I see the old Osiris is still kicking around......that is a great looking rocket ,like the camo too (i need one of those in my fleet)

The Flis Night Whisper is another fine looking bird ,that one is on my list of "must haves". Too darn bad about the motor ,man that is a nasty zipper ,but a grat looking rocket none the less.

Great work ,and looks like the gang had a good time.

Our club had a nice little launch today also ,just LP and MP ,but a great time was had by all ,and the kids had a blast !!

Take care !!

Paul T

Jeff ,great pix ,whish mine turned out like those ,very nice.

I see the old Osiris is still kicking around......that is a great looking rocket ,like the camo too (i need one of those in my fleet)

Paul T

Knowing what you've taught me in your build threads, I'd have tricked her out a little more back in the day with some antennae and wiring tunnels, maybe some paper bands...

Great you had a good time today!
Best wishes!

Hey man ,I just the the Nike X ,another great looking kit, love that one too.

I need to fly my upscale QModeling Nike X one day ,but i want to wait to see if they open shop so as to buy another for back up (yah i know ,I`m a suck LOL)

Any day you can get out and fly rockets of any size is a good day.

Paul T

Jeff,
this rocket is GORGEOUS!!! beautiful job!

What's to say? I love the looks. I am proud of my work on it, but it flies like doggie doo doo. On C6-3 again it spirals and wobbles faster and faster. I believe it's something to do with the intake tunnel, but who knows? I am not the only one who's noted this feature of the rocket.

The Altmeter Two flashed out 221' @ 96mph. Recovery was nominal on a 12 inch nylon chute.

7762025830_9cdbe1b9d1_b.jpg

Rollin over

7762026366_cfe5dc34f5_b.jpg

Rollin more...

7762026794_330e510b3e_b.jpg

awesome! how many flights do you have on her?

Flew the first rocket I built as a BAR back in '97 again. A Custom Rockets Engage. It loves C5-3s. This one performed great and the NAR has already been emailed with the code and results. Altitude was 246' as told by the Altimeter Two.

Always a nice demo rocket.

7762042096_176756ca5c_b.jpg

this rocket is cool!

Was getting warm, but a nice (slight) breeze made it bearable for sure. I was able to get in two more flights.

I had a very nice flight with the Odd'l Rockets Squatty Body - which I turned into a sort of 'Der Squatty Max' - on an A8-3.

Packing the recovery system is a real challenge. I went with a long crepe paper streamer this time as last time it pretty much melted a chute. I wrapped some wadding around the streamer and that seemed to work ok. The nose cone (with the weight) still lead the way down, but it was recovered on hard ground without damage!

Catching this little booger in flight is not that easy...

7762044726_d3a6f17305_b.jpg

7762046462_d8c0613096_b.jpg

NJ thanks for all the kind words. I am pretty proud of the Migletto and how it came out. But if flies terribly. Oh well. As for the Engage, to be honest, I have no idea how many flights. Enough that the motor mount came loose! And the hook moves around so I have to use a tape thrust ring. So it is wearing out the parts in the motor mount. Probably 30 flights. I was on a 6 year hiatus from 2004 to Jan 2011. So perhaps not as many as one would think. Still at least 30 maybe 40.

The Squatty Body is cool. I have two more of his kits to build.

Thanks again for the kind words!
:handshake:
:cheers:

Jeff,
one of the great things about this forum is coming on to see the work of guys like yourself...just masters....makes newbies like me just want to keep building and trying new things etc....the Migletto looks like she is doing mach 2 sitting still on the pad...just a sweet paint scheme too...really looks cool!! as for your Engage....if you are wearing out the engine mount that pretty much says it all! that she is still flying after 15 years or so is impressive!!

Rick

NJ thanks for all the kind words. I am pretty proud of the Migletto and how it came out. But if flies terribly. Oh well. As for the Engage, to be honest, I have no idea how many flights. Enough that the motor mount came loose! And the hook moves around so I have to use a tape thrust ring. So it is wearing out the parts in the motor mount. Probably 30 flights. I was on a 6 year hiatus from 2004 to Jan 2011. So perhaps not as many as one would think. Still at least 30 maybe 40.

The Squatty Body is cool. I have two more of his kits to build.

Thanks again for the kind words!
:handshake:
:cheers:

Latest posts

Back