Launch report: Public Missiles Black Brant Vb, Q-Modeling Nike X

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I built this Black Brant Vb years ago thinking I might go to high power level 1. Well I have not gone that route for the expense or interest really. Since its 38mm it was basically a display item. So I just built a 38-29mm adapter and it works well. Launched Saturday on a G74-6W. Great flight and recovery on 30" chute with spill hole from Public Missiles!IMG_0221.jpg

The Nike X is 24mm and I've had some old F21-4s that I'm having trouble using and could not get to light with micro igniter because the slots too small to insert larger Juniors. They may work if drilled out? Anyway I launched with an E30-4 and it was successful but not very high or exciting! Maybe the 24mms F32s next time?IMG_0223.jpg

I also launched the Estes D-Region Tomahawk again! Love that rocket. On a D12-3 was not exciting at all surprisingly! This time tried an E20-4! Wow at least 1000' plus! Little short on delay but got it back! Glad I used a small 14" nylon chute!IMG_0222.jpg

Is that the Estes Nike X with a 24mm mount installed or is it an upscale? I only ask because I launched an Estes Vapor with an E30-4 this weekend and got nice altitude with it and the Vapor is bigger/heavier. It was also very fast off the pad.

BTW, very nice rockets.

-Bob

Ah, I can see that it would not be a high flight then. I have often though about upscaling the Nike X. I have a couple of OpenRocket files for designs I have created. I think a 2.5 and a 3 inch version.

You did a good job scaling (and building) it as it looks just right.

-Bob

Back