Launch report MC2 07/10/04

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
It was a hot one! ..winds were mild(0-5mph)

I arrived just in time to see a sucessfull level 3 attempt
I do not know the persons name and only know that it was an Aerotech M motor..perfect flight and recovery

First I launched my Red Max on a B6-4.. the mylar chute did not unfurl ..than mabey 40' from the ground it suddenly popped oped ..looked like a dual recovery ..It was pretty funny to watch

Than I set my little joe up with a C6-5 it hung on the rod and just stayed there ..I will have to take a closer look at the lug..I haven't had this problem before with it

I than loaded my AstroX- Black Zombie with a F23-7FJ..upon ignition It made a loud pop, I heard the nozzle hit the deflector..the motor also blew out it's side wall ..completly destroyed the tailcone , phenolic motor tube
2 fins, centering rings...R.I.P.

I than loaded my Vaughn Bros. Javelin with a G64..but by this time a storm was approaching.. with lightning flashes and thunder in the vicinity..I decided not to launch and packed up

so It was a shot day with only one sucessfull launch .. but I got to visit with a number of people and talk rockets..

sorry no pics other than a damage pic of the Black Zombie

An Email has been sent to Aerotech and I will be filling out a MESS form as well

Heres a pic of what remains of the motor

Todd Jurhs was to make an L3 attempt using a Cessaroni M reload in an Aerotech case...Congradulations Todd even though you are not a Forum member :(

Thanks for the report stymye...

Thanks for posting more info Johnnie ..I could barely hear the loudspeaker as I was just stepping out of my truck ,when the announcement was made...but I definately heard the launch!

I wish we could have made it. Both vehicles were overdue for oil changes. I just returned to work this week, and have been totally worn out. And, the weather was too iffy for the three hour drive.

Johnnie, did Todd plan his L1, L2, and L3 flights the way they worked out?
3 for 1, 2 for 2, and 1 for 3 :p

I wished I could have been there if just to see that flight. Ray Cole says that it went a mile straight up, and was picture perfect throughout.

I told Todd if he was successful, that I would put togather a 76mm 6-grain "candy" motor for him to fly in that thing...a measly little ole "L" but he is all for flying it.

My wife was out of town for a Nashville Calligraphy Guild Board meeting, and I was to watch the kids and her dad...he is in bad health :( do I never even gave a thought of going, I just wished I was there...

I had my worst day ever flying rockets.
My Fat Boy Zilla only lit one of the two E9 motors and went horizontal into the turf, driving the nose cone 1 half inch into the BT. Maybe if I can scrape up another nose cone it can be salvaged.
Then I flew the Moon Doggy for the first time, using my Pro38 2 grain case also for the first time. I saw some dynamic instability at maximum thrust, but that could have been easily fixed with some more nose weight. Worse, the whole tail section was flame damaged AND my motor case kicked out somewhere on the turf. So now I have 3 or 4 loads w/o a casing. On top of the 2-3 loads for the three grain case a friend lost.
I was too discouraged to fly anything after that; besides the rain was moving in. I packed up and came home.

Back