[Launch Report] I am no longer afraid of the Goblin!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
I had time for another launch this morning and even though it is a bit breezy out (5-10 mph or so) I decided to send up 3 rockets.

The great news is that I am no longer wary of sending my Semroc Goblin up on more powerful engines at this field. I used the adapter and a C6-5, angled it into the wind, and hit the button. WOW!:eek: It went way up there but I could just see it the whole way. I doubt that it was 1,000 feet due to the angle but it went higher than any other rocket that I have launched here. The very long streamer that came with the kit worked very well and it drifted back to maybe a little over 100 feet from the pad. Not bad for the wind this morning and I am ready to try it on a C11-5 and maybe, maybe, a D. :D

THe good news is that my recently repaired Semroc My Boid flew wonderfully on an A8-3, but the winds gave me a long walk with it's 12" chute with a spill hole. I will try it again soon when the air is more still.

The weird news is what happened to my Estes Big Bertha "The Beat Stick" It is living up to it's name and will start looking like it too. After it's chute got shredded due to the "extra" delay on a C6-5 I made a 14" chute out of a black trash bag. I sent it up on a B6-4 and after it got up there a big gust of wind hit. The rocket was blown before chute! The chute crumpled in the wind but the rocket was blown back right to the pad!:D The only damage was to some fin roots having a slight crack but that it fixable. Weird that the Bertha acted like a sail in the wind.:eyepop:

The C11-5 is PERFECT for the Goblin - not too high and the delay is just right. That's my favorite motor for flying this bird now! :D

The C11-5 is PERFECT for the Goblin - not too high and the delay is just right. That's my favorite motor for flying this bird now! :D
Especially since they're now priced the same as C6 motors. Funny, I always assumed the C11-7 would be the better delay, but a quick sim shows the C11-5 is much closer to ideal.

Yeah, I hope to get some C11-5s soon. I want to see what my Goblin can do!:D

I hope to try by Bertha in calmer winds soon too. I hope I made the chute correctly and that it's lines are not too short or something. (I don't think so.)

The Goblin is a good flyer on a lot of different motors, one of my favorites.

Sounds like fun! I had the same happen with my Big Bertha where it landed waaay behind me in some lady's yard. Happy she was home, and that she gave it back!

quick question on the engine adapter: My friend gave me a QCC explorer for Christmas, and it came with one, just wondering are these fireproof and can be reused multiple times, or are they a one time deal?

Thanks

quick question on the engine adapter: My friend gave me a QCC explorer for Christmas, and it came with one, just wondering are these fireproof and can be reused multiple times, or are they a one time deal?

Thanks

Well, the Explorer is Estes while my Goblin is from Semroc. I don't know what Estes adapters are like. The Semroc one looks like an engine mount (cardboard tube and centering rings) with an engine hook. I assume that this one will last as long as any engine mount.

The new Estes plastic adapters are really nice - I bought a set (3@) of both - 13mm to 18mm and 18mm to 24mm. They are divided into two halves lengthwise - the motor fits inside and is held in place by two ridges (rings). When closed, the motor cannot slip out because the motor mount holds the two halves together. This is the 18mm to 24mm adapter:

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/accessories/302317-engine-adapters-standard-to-d

The new Estes plastic adapters are really nice - I bought a set (3@) of both - 13mm to 18mm and 18mm to 24mm. They are divided into two halves lengthwise - the motor fits inside and is held in place by two ridges (rings). When closed, the motor cannot slip out because the motor mount holds the two halves together. This is the 18mm to 24mm adapter:

https://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/accessories/302317-engine-adapters-standard-to-d

I agree. I have a set and they work great, neat idea.

Flew my Goblin on a C11-5 this morning. Awesome flight! It went almost out of sight and came down safely on it's long streamer.

I love this rocket!:D

Back