Launch Report (good and bad)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havoc821

Reaction score
This weekend I went out to the Huntsville Area Rocketry Association (HARA) launch field and did many launches. Here are the rockets I launched and the order I launched them:

1)Estes Bull Pup 12D on a A8-3
2)Estes Silver Comet on a D12-3
3)Eye in the Sky on a G38-4FJ
4)Estes Gemini DC (modified to use 3 motors) on a C6-3 in the center with a A8-3 in the boosters
5)Sidewinder on a B6-4
6)Estes Silver Comet on a D12-3
7)Estes Silver Comet on a D12-3

refer to the above rockets to match with the numbers

1) perfect flight.

2)AWESOME flight!!!:D I love the Silver Comet! the launches look so cool!

3)This is a rocket that is scratch built that carries a disposable camera (see Eye in the Sky thread in the Scratch Built Section). The liftoff was great. Lots of black smoke. As it reched apogee, I activated the servo, which pushed down the shutter button. When the ejection charge blew, I noticed that there were 2 dots in the sky. A big dot and a little dot flaoting away from the big dot. The big dot was the rocket and the little dot was the parachute NOT ATTACHED TO THE ROCKET!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: The snap swivel that I used to keep the parachute from twisting broke and the parachute seperated from the rocket. The rocket fell from about 1500' (thats what RockSim says) and slammed into the ground about 10ft. from the launch pad. NO DAMAGE!! :D Can you believe it!?! The only damage was a broken camera mount that was made out of 1/8" balsa. Go figure. That will be easy to fix. I didn't get back my parachute. The only bad thing is that I was also using that chute for the Silver Comet and now I couldn't launch the Silver Comet, but a guy let me borrow his 36" chute. Anyways, the rocket took a picture and I hope that the camera wasn't damaged upon impact with the ground. Luckily the ground was a really soft hay/grass field, so I didn't have to worry about damage to anything else.

4)The rocket flew great an returned on two 12" chutes that ejected from the top.

5)This is also a scratch built rocket (See launch pictures thread in low power section, NOTE :the pics in this thread are not from today's launch, those were from the school launch) that looks like a Sidewinder missile. That thing gets off the ground in a hurry. I have never seen anything leave the ground so fast! :eek: It must have been at apogee in like half a second. Nobody wanted to drag race me after that. :(

6)Used this rocket to drag race this guy's Blue Bird. Mine got off the pad faster than his, but his quickly caught up and flew past mine. Cool flight.

7)Great launch. Came down a little too slow. Landed in a tree with my rocket and somebody else's parachute!!! Oops! Luckily we got the rocket back down with no damage to the rocket or the parachute.

I would have launched a couple of more times, but the closed the range. But before we left, this guy, Vince Hugele sent off one of his high power rockets on a H232. It was awesome. It had the Blue Thunder propellant. His got stuck in a tree but he managed to also get it down. Luck was on our side today with getting our rockets out of trees.

Today was really funa nd hope to have another launch like it soon. If you want to check out the club website, it is:

www.hararocketry.org

That's all for now. Sorry no pics because everything was video taped.

Wait, here we go. Here is a pic of the Gemini DC lifting off. I forgot I used my digital camera on this launch. The pic isn't all that great because I was too far away and you can't makeout the rocket. But hey, at least ya'll won't kill me for not posting pics. lol ;)

Back