Launch Report for 5/15/04

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
I thought I would post a personal launch report for 5/15/04 which was a Florida Gulf Coast Tripoli launch.

My first flight of the day was my Art Applewhite 24mm Scimitar. After two ignitor failures (crapperheads, go figure) it really ripped and I do mean ripped off the pad under the power of an Aerotech E30T motor. It tumbled down and landed close by with no damage. Nice way to start the day.

Next up was my Fliskits Richter Recker on three Estes E9-6 motors. All three motors lit instantly sending this nearly 8 foot tall rocket in excess of 1,200 feet. Both sections seperated as intended and drifted a lllooonnnggg way under two 18 inch Rockethead Rockets Mylar chutes. I found the top section easily, some local guy drove up in his truck and gave it to me and after about a nearly hour long search, I finally found the booster and I was very happy to see three blackened motors. My first ever 3 motor cluster had gone off perfectly.:D

My last flight of the day was on my PML Small Endeavour. It really zoomed off the pad under the power of it's H165R motor. It had a very nice recovery other than the fact it tried to take out myself, my Tripoli Prefect and my club president. All three of us had to actually move out of the way to aviod it. Hey, at least I got closest to the pad.:D

I also had purchased an H123W for my Matrix but about 10 minutes after the Small Endeavour flight, we got hammered on by rain. Oh well, maybe next month.

Sounds like you had a good time!

I think you should put the H123 in the Small Endeavour, that would be a really cool flight!

Yeah, you're right. That would be a cool flight. I'm actually considering an H242T for that. I tend to love high speed and a neck snapping, mind blowing acceleration.:D

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
I thought I would post a personal launch report for 5/15/04 which was a Florida Gulf Coast Tripoli launch.

My first flight of the day was my Art Applewhite 24mm Scimitar. After two ignitor failures (crapperheads, go figure) it really ripped and I do mean ripped off the pad under the power of an Aerotech E30T motor. It tumbled down and landed close by with no damage. Nice way to start the day.

\

Sweet, I like those E30s. I had no problems launching them, once yesterday the Copperhead lit it as soon as teh button was pushed.

So do I, especially with oddrocs like Art's kits. It makes them just EXPLODE off the pad. Some may think that it's a waste of a $10 motor but it's such a FUN waste of a motor.

Actually, the first crapperhead failed twice and the second one worked fine. It really doesn't take much to ignite an E30 or any other Blue Thunder motor. I just trim any shavings off the edges and try real hard not to put a crease in them. Otherwise, they're almost guranteed to fail.

Back