Launch report - Arizona Rocket Gathering-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XAVIEN

Reaction score
Greetings!

This weekend was the Arizona Rocket Gathering (ARG), thanks to the weather folks and their bogus reports the turnout was less then desirable on Saturday. Sunday was the EX day, unfortunately, me, my wife and my 2 boys were all sick so Sunday we opted to stay at home and rest. On Saturday I only launched 3 rockets:

US Rockets "BANSHEE" on an Ellis G35
US Rockets "Mosquito 2.2" on an Ellis G35
Aerotech "Cheetah" on an Aerotech F50T

All 3 flights were amazing, my favorite of course was the BANSHEE. I love this rocket, it is so lightweight, on a G35 that bad boy was gone! The Mosquito was a launch of "craziness". The motor is almost as long as the body tube, so it was a small rocket with a big punch. I received dozens of compliments on the US Rockets kits, their performance was great. The Cheetah zippered, should have used a 10s delay, it destroyed about 6 inches on both sides of the rocket. I don't have any pictures, hopefully someone there had a camera. If you are thinking of going to the ARG next year do me a favor, ignore the weather people, they are crazy!

Best regards,
Steve

Steve,

Yeah, the Banshee really scoots on whatever motor you put in there, doesn't it? A good friend of mine with a Canon 20D digital camera & 40/200 zoom lens could only get a picture of the smoke trail when I launched mine weekend before last on a H238T-M (I had a couple ounces of weight screwed into the base of the nose cone too) :D It was the only flight he missed capturing all day! That was so insane that I need to do it again :eek:

I bet that Mosquito with the 4sec burn of the G35 must've been pretty fun to watch too!

The Mosquito was great. I had it sitting on my table and people kept on going by saying, "look at that 'little' rocket, how cute!". I shut a few up when I told them what it was launching on ;) My wife has "adopted" my BANSHEE, she renamed it "PRINCE" (because it is purple and silver) and somehow thinks it is hers, but that's fine if the warden will let me launch it a few more times :D A gentleman that has been in rockets for like 20 years was at the launch and mentioned that the BANSHEEs were really great flyers, Jerry even made one that would take a 54MM engine back in the day. He mentioned that some of Jerry's motors had a long burn / high thrust ratio (>15s) and would take those high power BANSHEEs >10K feet ....... now that would be a sight!

The stories I hear from the guys that have been around, reminds me of the wild west!

Steve

Back