Launch report - 1/16/09

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck H

Reaction score
Well it was a balmy 45 degrees in NJ on Saturday, so I decided to get a few launches in. As it happens I started out pretty late, and was racing against the sun. But I just needed a quick fix to satisfy some winter blues. We headed out to Thompson Park in Jamesburg/Monroe Township - my son (12) took most of the pics.

First up was the Star Wars Death Star. I saw this at a garage sale and couldn't pass up the awesome deal. I launched this once before, and frankly it's a pretty neat show at ejection. The "Death Star" splits into four quarters that come down on streamers, and the rocket body comes down on a small chute. I angled into the wind and let her rip. I learned that angling into the wind is not possible with this rocket. It went to about 150' in a slow arc and ejected at about one foot. The rocket went straight in with no damage and the four Death Star quarters were OK too.

P1000237.jpg

P1000238.jpg

P1000240.jpg

P1000241.jpg

Next was a kit I’ve been waiting a long time to launch – Estes Rubicon. It was modified to accept E-engines, but first I went with a D12-5. I was a little worried that this wouldn’t have enough “oomph” because the rocket felt pretty heavy to me. This was unwarranted as it lifted off nicely and went very straight up to around 5-600 feet.

P1000328.jpg

P1000336.jpg

P1000337.jpg

P1000338.jpg

P1000339.jpg

Last edited:
I knew that the Rubicon had a reputation for breaking fins on landing, so I decided (a little too late) to try and catch this one before it hit the ground. I almost made it, but caught it by the shock cord, which stretched and allowed the tail to hit, breaking three fins. My son took about 60 pictures for this launch.

P1000340.jpg

P1000341.jpg

P1000350.jpg

P1000370.jpg

P1000395.jpg

We dug the dirt out of the Death Star and tried for another launch. I decided to go straight up with no launch rod angling, hoping the wind wouldn’t take it too far away. As it turns out, it was a perfect launch with ejection pretty high up. Of course, the pics are terrible because I took them as my son pushed the button.

P1000418.jpg

P1000434.jpg

Lastly we decided to launch the Rubicon again, this time on an E9-6 engine. I had brought a bottle of CA in anticipation of fin separation, and I was hastily re-gluing the fins. I thought it may be too late, but I didn’t think it would go OOS, and figured what the heck, it’ll probably look awesome in the dusk. Unfortunately, the engine spat out the nozzle in pieces and stayed on the pad spewing flame. After ejection, we ran over to put out the flames but they went out on their own. I don’t know if this one will fly again, and the pad is definitely toast – very burnt toast. Is this a common issue? Do you think the other two E’s in the package are OK?

P1000440.jpg

P1000452.jpg

P1000454.jpg

P1000457.jpg

P1000458.jpg

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Too bad about your Rubicon. Maybe send those pics to Estes customer service and they might be able to get you a replacement. Might take a while but they usually do eventually come through.

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing. Too bad about your Rubicon. Maybe send those pics to Estes customer service and they might be able to get you a replacement. Might take a while but they usually do eventually come through.

I agree.
I have to say that Estes does try and do right for their customers (from my experience). They are sometimes slow, but they do try.

Your Death Star is very cool! I've never seen one before.
Thx for sharing.....

Latest posts

Back