Launch Report 01 01 2010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pem Tech

Notorious Member
Reaction score
After completing my new MMXX Dead Ringer and HEMV-4 kits I hauled my toys out into the backyard and flew the tiny little fellas'. Flew the Dead Ringer five times, only once having to retrieve it from the roof of the house. The HEMV-4 flew three times, then it was snatched by a vicious tree monster.
:(

Pictures will follow.

Think I am going to enjoy MicroMaxx, if I could just get my big clumsy fingers to work on those tiny little parts.

Happy Holidays and welcome to two thousand and ten!
:w:

Pictures, as promised.

My tiny MMXX fleet. a Dead Ringer and HEMV-4.

1MMXXfleet_0839.jpg

The Dead Ringer on the pad.

2DRpad_0840.jpg

My first MMX Launch!
Well, the smoke trail anyway....
These little buggers are fast.

3DRlaunch_0843.jpg

No shots of the recovery, but she came down on the roof of the house. A little sweat and a 12 foot ladder aided in the recovery operations. But, sadly, the shock cord, NC and streamer had separated from the BT. Not wanting to miss out on any flying I improvised a SC attachment scheme by tying it to one of the fiber fins.

4Deadringer_0844.jpg

On the second launch I stepped back a little ways from the pad, to see if I could get a flight pic or three.

5DRpad2_0848.jpg

And here they are.

Lift off!

6DRflight_0855.jpg

And flight.

7DRflight_0859.jpg

Last edited:
It didn't take long to finger out that securing an igniter in a MMXX motor is not quite the same as a standard size motor. The final solution was to steal a page from the MMXX launch system. The igniter was propped in an upright position and the rocket and motor lowered on the waiting igniter.

9Igniter_0857.jpg

Had an almost 100% success rate. The only failure was when an igniter slipped off the pad and I didn't see it till after pushing the launch button.

Time for the HEMV-4:

Ready to go...
10HEMVpad_0869.jpg

and on the way!

11HEMVlaunch_0880.jpg

Other than the fact that the HEMV-4 ended up in the top of a very tall and very intimidating oak tree, the day was a real pleasure.

Burning BP, the perfect way to bring in the new year.

Luckily there was no dry brown grass or dry dead leaves
under the launcher that does not have a blast deflector!!

Hey Layne.....

My solution to the igniter problem... ala Flis rod in an old 18mm case.

Drill small hole in side of motor install piece of old e-match wire. Can be then bent to fit any size airframe.

Tape to regular launch rod. I have since found that the motor will fit perfectly over a 1/4in bolt. now use that for a base.

Slide igniter on wire and install rocket. Makes launching so much easier and faster.

Found old camera tripod at garage sale for 5 bucks. The mount hole is 1/4in. Now just have a 14/bolt screwed in and slide motor/rod onto it. Saves bending over for us old guys.

Just finished building a H-4 myself, flew it yesterday fr the first time, a really good flier!

100_2256.jpg

100_2259.jpg

100_2260.jpg

launch pad.jpg

100_3613.jpg

Great shots, I can never catch the little buggers in flight. These are way to much fun aren't they!

Luckily there was no dry brown grass or dry dead leaves
under the launcher that does not have a blast deflector!!

Couldn't find one to start with but guesstimated that the tiny motors wouldn't do much damage. Heck, they only left smoke residue on the launcher, no melting at all.

Hey Layne.....

My solution to the igniter problem... ala Flis rod in an old 18mm case.

Drill small hole in side of motor install piece of old e-match wire. Can be then bent to fit any size airframe.

Tape to regular launch rod. I have since found that the motor will fit perfectly over a 1/4in bolt. now use that for a base.

Slide igniter on wire and install rocket. Makes launching so much easier and faster.

Found old camera tripod at garage sale for 5 bucks. The mount hole is 1/4in. Now just have a 14/bolt screwed in and slide motor/rod onto it. Saves bending over for us old guys.

Just finished building a H-4 myself, flew it yesterday fr the first time, a really good flier!

Hey, I like that..
Thanks Jim.

Did you get to keep your H-4?
The trees out back are playing keep-away with mine.

Given the nature of your small high speed subjects well done on the photos sir:)
Cheers
Fred

image.php

Is it real cold where you are, Layne? I can hear those teeth chattering all the way up here!

MarkII

Back