[Launch Repoet] Some damage but a good launch day anyway.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
Oops! I meant "Launch Report".

Another of my picture-less launch reports. (One day I will have someone with me with a camera...)

Quest Starhawk: A8-3. I bought this rocket kit cheap and cheap it is. I gave it a longer crepe paper streamer as the plastic one that it came with I felt was too small, but it didn't matter. Thing fell like a rock and the thin body tube bent real good. :facepalm: One and done. I will scavenge the kevlar cord for another project. The plastic fin can is just too heavy for streamer recovery.

Estes Sky Twister: B6-4. This E2X rocket flew wonderfully and the helicopter nose cone is a hoot! Great fun, this one is a keeper! :D

"Clone" Estes Falcon Commander (Different nose cone): B6-4. Wonderful flight but it drifted to the dirt and rocks and one of the little tail pieces broke. Fixable. This is a great flyer!

Clone Estes Astron Drifter: A8-3. First flight of my Astron Drifter that I made from an Alpha kit. Straight up and high with zero roll! I put a spill hole in the chute and it did drift a bit, but I caught it before it hit the ground! What a great flight! On inspection the body tube had a couple of small dents and there was some small paint-swapping on the nose cone. I will lengthen the shock cord and that should solve the problem.

Clone Estes Scamp: A8-3. Beautiful, straight flight! I reefed the chute and it landed nicely. Great little rocket!

Miscreant (Estes Monarch with Scamp-like paint job): B6-4. Wonderful and smooth flight. Perfect landing. I like this large rocket! I have to be careful to fly it on very calm days with a "C" as it can go quite high.

Quest Planet Probe: C6-0. I flew the 'Probe twice today and it is a consistent performer. It roars up to apogee, turns over, and then coasts down as if it were on rails. Very fun with quick turn-around.

A few comments on Quest Aerospace rockets. I have had very mixed results with Quest kits. Some are solid like the Astra, Planet Probe, America, and PayloaderONE. Some, like the Starhawk and Totally Tubular, are made of inferior components like thin and soft body tubes. I think that it is great they use kevlar, but it is weird that they also use mediocre engine hooks and stiff plastic parachutes. I am not too sad about my Starhawk, but I was not expecting it to prang as bad as it did.

Last edited:
Interesting summary. I'm not certain what I should take from this. Avoid Quest? Avoid Streamers? Or that the Planet Probe is good on a C6-0?

Interesting summary. I'm not certain what I should take from this. Avoid Quest? Avoid Streamers? Or that the Planet Probe is good on a C6-0?

I'm just posting my experiences. :) Quest does make some great kits, but I found the Starhawk to be substandard. Streamers are great for the right rocket and the right conditions (I have many rockets that use streamers just fine). This rocket on this field needed a parachute. Maybe it would work with a streamer on softer ground. Yes, the planet probe is good on a C6-0.

Back