Launch Rail

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringo

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and have spent some time going through various threads and learning alot. I've recently moved up to MPR and am looking to build a rail. I know I don't necessarily need a rail to launch MPR, but its seems like a better option. My question is has and built the system by David Logan? I'll try to attach a picture or link to the article. If so, what's your opinion on it. Lastly if anyone has any ideas or suggestion I appreciate it.

Thanks,

John

https://www.rocketreviews.com/scratch-inexpensive-rail-launch-pad-by-david-logan.html

image.jpg

That is similar to what I did. I have a 1010 rail and a base made of wood and PVC. It works really well for all my MPR. I wouldn't recommend it for HPR because the base isn't strong enough. If you want one to eventually use for HPR, I'd say so all steel on the base. There are tons of great designs in this forum.

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3299.jpg

I really like the solution from this thread. It's a Rockwell Jawstand. I managed to find one on Amazon for a reasonable price.

There's a couple ways to attach your rail to it in that thread I linked.

Since I'm only launching MPR on it and am also quite lazy I simply bolted the rail to the stand itself where the plastic guards would otherwise be and tightened with thumb nuts for easy tear down. The blast deflector is currently a piece of metal I, um, found in my youth hanging from a nail in a scrap piece of 2x4. I obviously need to find a better solution (though I'm going to be honest it works alright for Gs from what I can see so I may not).

(Also I'm new to the forum too, this is a great place for my rockets and terrible for my wallet).

pad1.jpgpad2.jpgpad3.jpgpad4.jpgpad5.jpg

Last edited:
Very Clean Looking Argent Bear!
The Jawstand is exactly what I am picking up today on the way home from work, It has mulitple uses when not being used as a launch stand.
I am planning on modifying it by changing the leg angles and using longer tubing for the legs to spread the weight.

Thanks! It missed the nice soft hay field by about 5 feet and hit the relatively harder dirt in the newly planted field and now it has a few cool scars so it's a little less clean now.

Thanks! It missed the nice soft hay field by about 5 feet and hit the relatively harder dirt in the newly planted field and now it has a few cool scars so it's a little less clean now.

To quote Keaneu Reeves from "The Replacements" "Pain Heals, Chicks Dig Scars, Glory, Lasts forever" hahaha
Gives it some Character!

Back