launch pads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lipp

Reaction score
does anyone have any plans for a mid power launch pad????
that can take a rod for low power also...
and also a nything on a launch controler?????

Here is the Mid Power Lauch Pad Design that I built. Amazingly only a hacksaw and a Dremel with a cutter wheel is all that is needed to build this pad. It does not take rods, but the design could be modified to remove the rail head and insert a rod head.

Here is the Launch Controller plans that I use. It is a 6 bay unit, but it also has a plan for a 1 bay controller. It has relibaly lit 4 estes igniters, Copperheads and the ignitors packed with RMS reloads without any problems or hesitation..

Hope this helps!!

Karl Dust

What you could do (and I've seen done) is use an old drill chuck for your adjustable rod holder. It makes it really easy...just make sure you tighten it down ALL THE WAY or you face a bad case of rod go bye-bye with unstable rocket!

Jason

PVC for Mid Power!

and a drill chuck will indeed hold 1/8" thru 3/8" rods...

It does not matter what you build out of PVC, there are alot of good designs out there. Here is a pic of my drill chuck mounted to a cheap PVC pad.

If you don't want to have to change rod sizes between launches, make a multi-pad setup out of an old sawhorse. Mount rods of different sizes to the top of the sawhorse, and you won't have to change rods. The club I'm in has a setup similar to this, and I recently launched my PML Amraam 2 off of it on a G64. Great setup.

Loopy

Originally posted by KarlD
Here is the Mid Power Lauch Pad Design that I built. Amazingly only a hacksaw and a Dremel with a cutter wheel is all that is needed to build this pad. It does not take rods, but the design could be modified to remove the rail head and insert a rod head.

Hope this helps!!

Karl Dust

https://www.rocketryforum.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=97061

I built this variation of my rail pad design for a fellow club member. I used 1" PVC, 3/4" pipe, and a square tube (can't recall the size) in place of the rail. I tapped thumb screw into a corner of the square tube, so it locks the rods against the opposite corner. We've used it quite a bit, and have launched up to an H180 off of itwith no problems.

Your pad design rocks David.

The only modification I did on my version is to add 4 (45) degree elbows near the feet and then cap the extensions. I mounted eyebolts into the caps and ran some nylon cord with quick links in an "x" patten underneath the pad.

Really helps strengthens the structure.

Cutting the slot in the galvinzed pipe was too much fun....

thanks everyone for your help... I think i got it figured out now...:)

Yeah, Multipad is the way to go. I built this thing a few years ago out of a hunk of electrical wire gutter, some tires and PVC pipe for a handle. There is a 1.5" dia pipe thru the base to hold the rods, all the cabling, controller, etc/ store inside the gutter which has a hinged lid. The wheels make it nice to toll out to the launch area from the truck. It has five keyless chucks that handle up to a 3/8" rod. I usually have a couple 1/8" rods, a couple 3/16" rods, and a 1/4 inch rod on it at any given launch. The controller is capable of drag race lauching from a single button. All the parts fit inside for storage. I have changed is a bit over the years since this photo was taken, the riser posts and rail are gone, the pads are mounted on the top of the grey box now. Makes it more stable for he bigger birds and easier for the kids to get the rockets on the rods.

I found some really sturdy camera tripods at a discount store for $14.95 each.

They stand about 50" high at maximum (much easier on the back) and are infinitely adjustable. A very wide base when fully extended (maybe 4 feet across) and very stable.

Meijer has similar tripods for $20.

I mounted a block of wood to the camera mount and it has multiple holes for different size rods from micro maxx to 1/4".

A quick turn of the handle brings the rod to horizontal to load the rocket and less than 2 sec later you are back to vertical!

It will hold my 6 pound Level one Nike Smoke with no problem!

I built a multi pad from PVC. i'll post pics a little later today...

Back