Launch night panic

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwattles

Reaction score
Tomorrow is launch day. Tonight is launch day eve. This is launch day eve panic. Ever notice that the night before you go out you realize that you still have to do a bajillion things and you only have 2 hours to do them? Let's see... I have 3 parachutes to assemble and install, 2 fins to repair, 1 rocket to finish building, and I'm sure there's a partridge in a pear tree somewhere that needs attending to.

Am I the only one who gets into these last-minute frenzies?

WW

I get those last minute frnzies as well, so many things to do so little time.

Originally posted by wwattles
Tomorrow is launch day. Tonight is launch day eve. This is launch day eve panic.

Am I the only one who gets into these last-minute frenzies?

I don't get into the frenzies before I leave the house to go to the launch...... I get the nervous as I am walking away from the pad, ready to launch the rocket........ Did I arm the altimeter? Is the motor in tight enough? Is the nosecone just right? Did I put enough "dog barf" in? Is the chute packed right?

I've got everything loaded in the van already. The second Pro54 rear closure arrived today so I won't have to borrow one for the Deuce. (It's looking like Sunday - weather.)

Now I need to buy yet another 54 2G case and 3 reloads for the Tres :D

I deal with launch night panic like I do with all other stress - by hacking away here in TRF!!!

OK, seriously time to get off my butt and go pack the van. looks like sunshine tomorrow but the field might be soggy.

Originally posted by Rocketmaniac
I don't get into the frenzies before I leave the house to go to the launch...... I get the nervous as I am walking away from the pad, ready to launch the rocket........ Did I arm the altimeter? Is the motor in tight enough? Is the nosecone just right? Did I put enough "dog barf" in? Is the chute packed right?

5....4....3....2....1.... WHOOSH!!!!

Did I put the right delay in?
I hope the cone is not too loose, or too tight.
Did I put a parachute in?
I hope I remembered to attach the chute, if I did put one in.

I use to...and guess I still do if I wait until the last minute...
The trick (I've learned) is to make a list of everything that you need to do and or load...and get it all done at least the day before...That way nothing jumps out at you at the last...The same for pre-launch...make a checklist and (I usually get one of the kids) and read them off and check...
Works for me.....

just my $dollar-two-nintey-eight....LOL

When a launch is approaching, i'm pretty much in a constant panic... :p

I think it has something to do with the "foot activated panic buttons" I have all over the house. Other people call them floor tiles, but I seem to be in a panic with every step... LOL

I've tried check lists, but then, as i'm *confidently* following the check list, I get into a panic that I've forgotten to put an important item on the check list....

guess I chould start up some check lists for what should go on my check list...

Lets see... At NARAM I was trying to assemble 2 rockets simultaneously in the hotel room the night before that launch, with numerous swim breaks of course:p.

Whenever I launch...

5-4-3-2-1-launch

Please dont cato oh please dont cato
Now that I'm in reloads: Will the delay ignite? What about the ejection charge?

When I am ready to go... I get all excited...

Too Excited....

ALL SYSTEMS RED ALLERT!!!

ALL HANDS BATTLESTATIONS!!!

ARM ALL PHOTON TORPEDOS!!!

CHARGE ALL PHASER BANKS!!!

INITIATE SELF DISTRUCT!!!

*** sometimes I am just plain nuts!!! ***

:kill: :D :rolleyes:

I usually try to pack the night before. That way, when I go to bed I go through an entire launch sequence and anything that has to do with it, I mentally check off that I packed it. If I get to someting I forgot, I usually get up and do it then!
Kinda eliminated those launch day jitters!

You guys are killing me......it was 19 degF this morning and you're talking about going out flying....

John

I usually try to pack the night before.

I usually have eveything packed and ready like a week or more ahead of time.

In the words of Carl Tulanko..."I suck!"

I've watched Carl pack...ahhh...very funny...nothing as maticulous as his pictures and building techniques...Next time I think I'll bring my camera to document this. Just to prove to everyone here that Carl IS human! :D

LOL! Sorry Carl....yea I know..."I SUCK!":D

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Next time I think I'll bring my camera to document this. Just to prove to everyone here that Carl IS human!

Now those are some pics I have got to see!!!!!!!!

the part i always get worried about it right when you press the button... that delay between you pressing it and the rocket igniting... i literally piss my pants... once it launches i have a habit of falling down and rolling over for some reason...

I'll try to get a pic of the look on my face when I do a first MPR an reload simultaneously at the next launch... lol

I tend to get things ready the night before, and I don't get nervous until the countdown. Suddenly, the life of the rocket flashes before my eyes, and I relive the prep process to make sure everything is there. Once the button is pushed, all atomic motion in my body stops....and stays stopped until the thrust is complete. Then, I loosen up enough to count internally. Once I hit when I think the thing should pop, I lock up again until either the parachute deploys, or the thing lawn darts (vaguely aware of my fellow rocketeers going oooooOOOOOOO...OH!!!!!!!) as it pencils in...).

Loopy

I got that paniced sickly feeling at NARAM as soon as the chute deployed.

The thoughts going through my head were, where is it going to land this time? How long is it going to take me to find it? If it lands in the swamp one more time, I'm gonna be PO'd!

I recovered everything at NARAM...eventually!

sandman

19 degree's F...Shoot that's good camping weather:D,

I'm get the panics about Wed. before the launch...Since all the kids are gone now and the wife usually works evening, I can go as nutty as I need to trying to remember everything, It is better now that I'm not also hauling all the club range equipment also:) but theres always the friday night crunch..it just isn't as big a deal if I forget my own motors, launch rods, Battery or Oh yeah I know there was a box of models in there somewhere:):O

I've set a new rule - If it's not ready the night before the launch, then it doesn't go. Simple. I have plenty of rockets to fly that if I am still building the night before the launch, then I was never really working hard enough to get it flight ready for that launch. Now, the night before I reserve for prepping motors, packing chutes, and putting cellulose in the rockets. On the morning of, all I leave is placing the stuff in the car. I recall always giving myself anxiety fits because I was trying to rush and finish something for the last minute. Invariably, I would then forget something more important.

Back