Launch Lugs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a scratch built AMRAAM that is currently awaiting a launch lug. The lug is on its way from Performance Hobbies however I am not sure it will be here by tomorrow for Saturday's launch. It is a LOC 1/4 inch. What is a good replacement that I would be able to find at a hardware store? All help is appreciated.

On several of my rockets I have used an arrow. You know, the hollow Aluminum shaft arrows. They are prefect, and one arrow will make 20-25 lugs...... Be sure to sand all of the paint off the side that will go against the rocket, giving the epoxy a better grip......

You'd be surprized at how easy it is to roll your own.

Take a 5/16" wood dowel, using #65 or #110 card stock, cut out a rectangle that is as long as you want the lug long and about 2.1" wide (this will give you 2 full wraps of paper.

Roll this around the dowel using glue stick glue to ahear the paper. when done, run a bead of white glue along the seam. Tough as nails and takes about 3 minutes to make...

You'd be surprized at how easy it is to roll your own.

"Rolling your own" Gee I remember the 60's:rolleyes:

That is pretty much the best way to make Micro Maxx launch lugs.

I just roll them around the launch rod.

Originally posted by jflis
Take a 5/16" wood dowel, using #65 or #110 card stock, cut out a rectangle that is as long as you want the lug long and about 2.1" wide
Roll this around the dowel using glue stick glue to ahear the paper. when done, run a bead of white glue along the seam.

Or roll a tube, tack the outside edge with CA, then soak the edges of the lug, finally swab the inside and outside with CA on a q-tip. Stinky, but strong.

You can also use plain copy machine paper, just roll a few more layers.

Rocketmaniac: I don't know what kind of shafts you are using, but the aluminum shafts that I have are not painted, they are anodized. That process makes a chemical change to the outer layers of the exterior and you can epoxy directly to that surface quite effectively.

Straws from Sonic work for lots of things (including the cheesecake milkshakes there) but I don't think they have Sonics up in Washington state?

Originally posted by powderburner
Rocketmaniac: I don't know what kind of shafts you are using, but the aluminum shafts that I have are not painted, they are anodized. That process makes a chemical change to the outer layers of the exterior and you can epoxy directly to that surface quite effectively.

Oh....... Ok....... I may be wrong then. I was given a camo-colored arrow from a guy at work and just assumed that the paint would not stick to it.......... Live and learn.......

a friend gave me a piece of that aluminum arrowshaft ,, but I found the shaft is so thin that it would dent by just looking at it...one bad landing would easilly squash it. or are there thicker types available?

Kinda on the same topic.

Jim at Totally Tubular now has (man, I wish he would update his dumb site!)

12" long glassine (same as Este, Flis, everybody else uses...) launch lugs in 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4"

12" LONG!!!

Heat shrink tubing make some pretty good lugs in emergencies, I would normally not recommend it though...we accidentally discovered it. I would not put them on all my rockets though.

Originally posted by powderburner
Straws from Sonic work for lots of things (including the cheesecake milkshakes there) but I don't think they have Sonics up in Washington state?

Nope, we don't. I'd try Dick's or Burgermaster for launch straws, er , lugs!;) :)

Thanks for all the replies/ideas. Unfortunately I did not have time to go to the hardware store so I was stuck with what I had on hand at home. No arrows, and I thought straws would be a little on the thin side. I used two hollowed out crayola marker caps. I sanded them really good and epoxied them to the tube, threw a coat of paint over them and hoped they would work. They worked perfectly and I actually got a few compliments at the launch about them. That is until I told people what they were...:D

Originally posted by stymye
a friend gave me a piece of that aluminum arrowshaft ,, but I found the shaft is so thin that it would dent by just looking at it...one bad landing would easilly squash it. or are there thicker types available?

There are so many sizes that it will make your head spin
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=1959&highlight=arrow

Alum shafts are usually pretty tough, I am surprised that you have one that dents easily. Try some others?

Back