Launch Lug Q

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by womblegs, Oct 6, 2003.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 7, 2003 #31

arthur dent

arthur dent

arthur dent

I wonder how red dwarf or star bug would go on a C motor or perhaps we could build a model of the mighty TARDIS and stick a D cluster in it..:cool:

2. Oct 7, 2003 #32

Justy

Justy

Justy

I'd love to see an RSO try to evaluate Red Dwarf. :D

3. Oct 8, 2003 #33

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Ok guys, thanks for the support. I have to repeat myself - its been a while since I've done this, and even when I did it was just to put a couple of kits together and launch them!!

What do all these abrev. mean?

RSO?
    BAR?
    CAR?

Anyway, really interested in doing the Heart of Gold, although I think it will be long in the making, and probably a joint project with my dad!

Oh, and Uncle Bulgaria!

Gareth

4. Oct 8, 2003 #34

sandman

sandman

sandman

womblegs,

An RSO is a "Range Safety Officer"...he or she is the one that checks your rocket and says your rocket is good enough to fly.

A BAR is a "Born Again Rocketeer"...is somebody that built model rockets as a kid, had no money for rockets, had no idea how to paint a rocket or do a decent finish and suddenly...like magic...discovered rockets again! Now he can aford it.

A CAR...that's what ya go to the launch field in and doesn't have enough room for all your stuff.

Get a pick-up truck!

sandman

5. Oct 8, 2003 #35

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Thanks for that!
    Got my head round most of the more obvious ones.
    Well I can now declare that I'm a BAR! Still not sure on how to finish a rocket nicely - never been a strong point, always to eager to send them up, up, up! But I'm learning.
    Are there any good tutorials available on how to sand, seal and finish?

Gareth

6. Oct 8, 2003 #36

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Hi Gareth,

Heart of Gold: er...if I recall correctly it's more of less constantly changing shape, isn't it? A side effect of the Infinite Improbability Drive. Then again, it has been a long time since I read the books...

Sanding, sealing, etc.: I'd recommend searching the archives of this site (see the "Search" button on the top tool bar) for such topics. In particular, we recently had a nice discussion about "dry rubbing" wood filler into balsa fins, including some nice step-by-step photos.

Hope this helps.

7. Oct 8, 2003 #37

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Thanks, I'll have a look for that one.

Depending on the source, Book, Radio series, TV series. It differs slightly. The HOG only picture reference is the TV series, and its based on a running shoe - go figure!

8. Oct 8, 2003 #38

lalligood

lalligood

lalligood

womblegs,

I know I'm getting away from the original thread about launch lugs, rail buttons, and whatnot but since you asked, there is an excellent tutorial by TRF's own 'micromister' here: http://www.narhams.org/library/tech/index.html (in particular "004: Paint Finishing")

I'm sure there are others on here with valuable tips & recommendations for finishing rockets but I've had increasingly better results with finishes on my rockets thanks to the process described in the document referenced above. Some of the steps (like basecoats) might be a little overkill on a low power rocket because of the added weight of the paint but it's the best set of guidelines I've found yet. Doing searches here on TRF should give you excellent information/advice as well.

Like anything else, improvements will come through practice & experimentation!

Enjoy :D

9. Oct 8, 2003 #39

WiK

WiK

WiK

Site Admin

I recall that at one point in the book, the Heart of Gold was someones jacket, so the guy (can't remember name) could easily escape from the planet (can't remember name). Why not model it around that ;) ?

10. Oct 8, 2003 #40

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

The HOG was *improbably* turned into a silver cigar shaped object and carried around in Zaphod Beeblebroxs (sp!!) jacket pocket.
    But we're going off the point, to think this all started with a question about a launch lug!!! :D

11. Oct 8, 2003 #41

WiK

WiK

WiK

Site Admin

Oooohhh yeah! So have you made a descision yet after being bombarded with irellevent information?

12. Oct 8, 2003 #42

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Nope! Got all of this to do yet,

1) Make Launch Controller
    2) Finish fleet of Mosquitos (up to 6 so far)
    3) Finish an unknow rocket that was started 10 years ago - cant remember what it is, pic attached.
    4) Repair SR-71 Blackbird, my first rocket, built (again) over 10 years ago.
    5) Finish my clone of the Yellow Jacket.

And probably another 100 things before I get to it!!! Plenty of time to think about it.

13. Oct 8, 2003 #43

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

ooops!

14. Oct 8, 2003 #44

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

15. Oct 8, 2003 #45

sandman

sandman

sandman

So, wombleg, where did you get the decals for the Yellow Jacket?

Did Tony have some extras?

sandman

16. Oct 9, 2003 #46

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Just noticed something...a fleet of Mosquitos? How many are going to be in this fleet, and what are you planning? :)

Taking the "fleet" allusion a bit farther, I'm imaging a bunch of these tiny rockets, all painted white with "NCC-1703 U.S.S. Tzee-Tzee" and such in decals. Would be quite a sight. :)

I just finished my own Mosquito two nights ago. I haven't had one of these in my fleet since I was a child...it's nice to return to the classics now and again. Maybe I'll clone myself an Alpha and a Streak to go with it...

Thanks.

17. Oct 9, 2003 #47

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

http://www.dars.org/jimz/est2008.htm - getting some inkjet paper to try it out with.

You can't see it too clearly, but the rocket at the back in pink and blue, any ideas what the is. Take the mini A and came with cardboard fins.

18. Oct 9, 2003 #48

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Whenever I get to a stage when I have nothing to do, or am waiting for something to dry I build 1! Will force myself to stop at 10 tho, its going to cost me a fortune in spray paint, they all have to be different colours, don't they?!?!?

19. Oct 9, 2003 #49

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

20. Oct 9, 2003 #50

wscarvie

wscarvie

wscarvie

Yes, they do. :D

But, pick yourself four complementary colors (say, white, dk. blue, red and yellow), put TWO colors on each one, and the possible combinations will cover twelve rockets with different combinations. :)

Hope that helps.

21. Oct 10, 2003 #51

womblegs

womblegs

womblegs

Finally found out what it is, 0897 Lumina by Estes!