Launch Lab Rocketry - Bullet Bobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For paper rockets, I use Titebond Quick and Thick for external fillets. Instructions from this thread. I couldn't get good pictures, but that thread covers everything you need to know better than I ever could.

The technique to coat 3D printed parts with epoxy came from my SBR Thor 54 kit. He says to thin 12 minute epoxy with alcohol until it is the consistency of milk, then apply with a disposable brush. I used US Composites because I have it and it is already about that consistency. If you have BSI epoxy on hand, give it a try on scraps.

The technique to coat 3D printed parts with epoxy came from my SBR Thor 54 kit. He says to thin 12 minute epoxy with alcohol until it is the consistency of milk, then apply with a disposable brush. I used US Composites because I have it and it is already about that consistency. If you have BSI epoxy on hand, give it a try on scraps.
I've tried with 15-minute epoxy but I think I need to thin it more; I was a little too cautious about how much alcohol to add. Important to remember that even if the alcohol weakens the epoxy, it doesn't matter for this type of application, as long as it can harden up enough to be hard and sandable.

I've also used thinned CWF, sanded smooth and followed with a coat of thin CA to harden it up, and that worked OK.

Thanks. I have used a bit of thin CA for hardening body tube ends and occasionally fins. Just haven't found a good application method that doesn't leave lots of high and low spots that don't sand particularly well after.
Still getting started with techniques that go beyond the typical Estes builds so I haven't invested in the various epoxy options yet. Definitely will long term though.

Bullet Bobby has a tendency to land in parking lot breaking a fin. A spare is always a good idea. Another good idea (the RSO might not think so) would be to do a naked CHAD stage D12 0 booster motor beneath a C6 5. That heavy printed nose cone should be enough weight up front. If that works go for an E12 0 booster! Bullet Bobby can take the abuse!
CHAD staging? Now I want one!
I have a history-
8YJ8HaSm.jpg

Last edited:
Ordered. Can't wait to build it. Looks awesome! Ryan said in his review..."the aerodynamics of a trash can lid..."! 'Bout fell of my chair! 😂
He was being a bit facetious with that comment I think....based on seeing that flight in person (that's me doing the countdown in my usual role as club LCO at our launches).
CHAD staging? Now I want one!
I have a history-
8YJ8HaSm.jpg
Yes, yes you do... :D

I didn't thin mine, It does require some sanding once it cures, but it fills the ridges and should add some strength to the parts.
I use the 20 min BSI and thin it out. Works pretty good to get rid of divots and strengthen the part. I've tried sanding and CWF with only ok results. I did see the @Flyfalcons used medium CA, which I may try when I build the kit.

I started by weighing everything and building a sim file for Open Rocket.

Could you please share it with us? Any idea how much weight the epoxy on the nose increased the weight? I don't think a bit of extra nose weight will hurt, just trying to be accurate with the sim.

This thing has piqued my curiosity. I can see it two staged, 24mm (or 29mm), or clustered. I can also see it upscaled using a craft store foam ball. Have to see if budget allows buying/building a few.

Could you please share it with us? Any idea how much weight the epoxy on the nose increased the weight? I don't think a bit of extra nose weight will hurt, just trying to be accurate with the sim.

I just weighed the nosecone and the epoxy only added 1 gram. I might double check that on a scale with a better resolution, but it might be right. Here is the sim file so far, it is a work in progress.

Attachments

• BulletBobby.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 14
Wow, just found this thread. Thanks for all the comments and excellent build tips and pics! Glad you guys are enjoying the kit. I definitely have spare parts if you need them, and an OpenRocket sim file as well. Feel free to reach out here or on the site! Upscale is in the works (just figuring out exactly how big to go lol). Fins do occasionally break off with a hard landing (as they do on other rockets) but since they're basswood, I have yet to see the fin actually break - more like it just comes detached from the BT and can be re-glued or even taped in the field. I may or may not have used a taped-on fin for like 1/3 of initial testing hahah.

Ryan's (unsolicited) review was amazing and I also was dying at the "aerodynamics of a trash can lid" comment lol.

Now ya'all got me thinking about staging....hmmm.

I'm having a ton of fun seeing everyone building and launching Bullet Bobby, and am trying to get a few new kits out into beta shortly! Thanks for the support!

My kit is due to arrive today and if all goes as planned it will be CHAD staged at the next TriCities Rocketeers launch. D12-0 to a C6-5 should be sporty if I can get the correct CG to CP. :)

My kit is due to arrive today and if all goes as planned it will be CHAD staged at the next TriCities Rocketeers launch. D12-0 to a C6-5 should be sporty if I can get the correct CG to CP. :)
Keep me posted lol. Very curious!

Wow, just found this thread. Thanks for all the comments and excellent build tips and pics! Glad you guys are enjoying the kit. I definitely have spare parts if you need them, and an OpenRocket sim file as well. Feel free to reach out here or on the site! Upscale is in the works (just figuring out exactly how big to go lol). Fins do occasionally break off with a hard landing (as they do on other rockets) but since they're basswood, I have yet to see the fin actually break - more like it just comes detached from the BT and can be re-glued or even taped in the field. I may or may not have used a taped-on fin for like 1/3 of initial testing hahah.

Ryan's (unsolicited) review was amazing and I also was dying at the "aerodynamics of a trash can lid" comment lol.

I'm having a ton of fun seeing everyone building and launching Bullet Bobby, and am trying to get a few new kits out into beta shortly! Thanks for the support!
I would like a high power version since one of my kids has already claimed the one arriving today.

HaHa. I'll shoot video but all I have is my phone so it will be from a ways off. I CHAD stage off the midpower pads so the setback is appropriately large.

A CHAD stage flight from a while back. Fliskits Richter Recker 3xD12-0 to 3xE9-6. Like I posted earlier, I have a history! :)

<iframe width="644" height="362" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Many years ago I had plans to make this same rocket and found the images, but never got around to it (along with 1,000 other designs I want LOL). Great to see others also feel this is a cool design for a rocket! I can't wait until there is an upscale!

Tomorrow is my only day off this week and there are high winds forecasted. I decided to spray the first layer of primer tonight while it was calm, even though it was dark. I'll probably keep this simple with 2 layers of primer and 1 or 2 layers of black.

BB11.jpg

When I saw how the fins attach to the body, and that for only about half their length they're glued on, the idea for a second stage jumped into my brain (jumped? launched? CHAD staged?). Use the same diameter body tube, rebate the top centering ring about a half an inch into the top of the booster stage (this gives room to tape the two engines together, much the same way you would for a CHAD stage). Use the same size/material for the fins, except that instead of gluing the TOP half of the fins to the stage, one would glue the BOTTOM half. When both stages have engines, and the stages are coupled, it would look as though the rocket now has eight fins instead of the original four. If done well, one would not easily be able to tell which fin set was attached to which stage. You could sell just the lower stage as an add-on. You could tweak this slightly to work for a 24mm lower stage. You might need to add a pinch more clay for nose weight, but with the extra fins, the CG/CP relationship might not change much. I need to d/l your sim files and build on a lower stage to verify, esp. with a 24mm booster.

And, hey, if you ever need a beta builder...

Back