Launch Day Reveiw (Picture)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike

Reaction score
Well on Saturday for once we had a nice day in the UK and so it seemed to good an opportunity not to launch a rocket. I lasted launch about 7 weeks ago so was pretty eager to get out there. Unfortunatly I couldn't get any C6-0 motors so my multi-stage rocket couldn't launch.

The weather was great clear skies above us but a few clouds gathering on the horizon. I decided to do 4 launches, 3 B6-4 and finally a C6-7.
Firstly was the launch of my first scratch built rocket. It's a 24mm diameter using body tubes from Apollo 11. Quite a basic rocket with a 12 inch parachute. She flew quite well but the parachute didn't unfold, I think it may of been that I left it packed for a few weeks. This flight proved that I wasn't doin too much wrong in the way of scratch building.

The second launch was the Estes Wizard, I used a Mylar streamer to see what it was like. I wasn't too happy with the Mylar to begin with because it was quite difficult to use. Once the Wizard was in the air I could it's advantages, the mylar made tracking extremley easy with the sun shining off it. The rocket landed a good 50m away from the pad but even at that distance I could see the Mylar reflecting the sun.

Thirdly was my Code Red that came with the starter set. Prompted by a post on this forum, I had made a little capsule to carry powder to make the ejection easier to see. I made it out of a short piece of BT-20 body tube blocked with balsa at one end then attached to the shock cord. This formed a long cup which you could fill with powder. I launched this again on a B6-4 just so I could see what would happen easily because of the low altitude. It worked better than I had thought, when the nose cone came off the rocket was falling slightly. Whilst the parachute was opening the capsule left a trail of powder then the sudden jerk of the parachute opening caused the rest to come out in a cloud of dust.

The final launch was again the Wizard this time on a C6-7 motor, the Myalr again proved it's worth I'm definatly a big fan of Mylar.

I do have one photo for you, it's the first launch of my Wizard bearing in mind this was my first attempt at photographing a rocket I think I did alright. Sorry the photo's not great quality.

Looks like there was good weather all over 'ol blighty at he weekend then! 'Up North we we also had a very successful launch day. Managed 6 launches, 2 with my Quest Flat Cat - a most excerllent Glider. Stayed aloft for about 2- 3 min on the first launch and about 1-2 on the second - alothough it did drift abit as the wind had picked up abit. My scratch Bosster Glider ("Wild Blue") had a little less promising flight - well it went up to about 100 - 150 ft - need a bigger motor next time), did a barrel role, ended up pointing vertically down and crashed into the ground at about 45 degrees! Severed the fusalarge in too places -back to the drawing board! My scratch build is seemingly indestructable. 'Chute fiald to deploy twice, and plumeted 800ft (it was fired on a C6-5) to take a core sample - but no damage! Amazing! (Thank the Lord for epoxy!) Only once did the chute open in 3 launches, but it came down ok.

James

Mike,

The only advice to give you is never store a parachute inside a rocket. I always take mine off...attach them with a snap swivel from the fishing tackle shop.

This way depending on the wind...the motor...your mood...you can attach whatever parachute or streamer your heart desires.

Sounds like you two are having fun.

Keep it up.

sandman

Great report guys...glad you all "over the pond" can have great launch days too!!! Keep up the good flights and add a few pics if you can! ;)

Carl

Back