Launch Date: March 8, 2020

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like you must have covered the static ports while pulling the nose cone off to read the altimeter after that first flight. The Estes Altimeter (and AltimeterOne) don't lock in the reading after a flight—they have no "I'm done flying" logic—so if you lower the pressure further as would happen as you pull of the NC with the static ports covered, you can essentially overwrite the results of the flight.

BEC,
I believe you are right. I altered the reading by improper handling. Must be more careful in the future. This is my first use of an altimeter, so there's a small learning curve to go with it.

Most altimeters lock their readings in after they've decided they've stopped flying. But the Estes one doesn't...and the instructions don't tell you that.

I gave up on my Estes altimeter after 4 flights where it failed to read anything. I now use the Altimeter Two which works great; highly recommended.

Back