Launch Date: December 2nd, 2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this model was built and modded by James Gazur. Those discus hand launch models are pretty impressive.
If you look back at some of my 'Launch Date" posts, you will find a similar Calibri glider that Jim modified and flew successfully.

Sounds like a fun day.

I am curious about the two stage Nike Hercules. How is the booster recovered? It seems like if it has no separate recover device like a streamer that it might STAY stable post separation and come in ballistic instead of tumble, since it is so long.

thanks for posting

Anyone ever experiment with scramjet engines?
I had a thought earlier today about an hpr rocket with a large hp motor, and then a wing mount set of scramjets.
It would look like an sr 71.

Any thoughts, or should I turn in my crackpipe. :)I'm working on a sprint missile model, cast out of boron nitride ceramic.
Note to self; drill holes before firing ceramics, lol.
Some of the air density numbers I'm seeing from mach speeds, something burnable in there, and it will burn. no needs for exotics, diesel will burn at those compressions
Too bad supersonic inlet throat design is classified, I'm sure there's a body of information out there.

Last edited:
I've also been working on a reliable design for using the conductivity of the exhaust plume to detect burnout, as an input for staging, and since exhaust is mostly ionized gas; it should be possible to use a magnetic field to dynamically modify the throat constriction to control the rate and output. I may experiment with that to control chamber pressure.

Anyone ever experiment with scramjet engines?
Too bad supersonic inlet throat design is classified, I'm sure there's a body of information out there.

NACA Technical Reports. There's your starting point. The rest is up to you.

Hi, BABAR,
I need to make a correction which Jim pointed out to me this morning - the model is a Nike-Ajax rather than Nike-Hercules.
Anyway, the Nike stage carried a Perfectflight timer set to ignite the upper stage .2 seconds after booster burnout.
The Nike was C11-3 powered and deployed it's own parachute.
Reference my blog link in the original post above, and you will find a flight photo of the the model showing the Ajax at ejection and the Nike on its chute below.

Hi, BABAR,
I need to make a correction which Jim pointed out to me this morning - the model is a Nike-Ajax rather than Nike-Hercules.
Anyway, the Nike stage carried a Perfectflight timer set to ignite the upper stage .2 seconds after booster burnout.
The Nike was C11-3 powered and deployed it's own parachute.
Reference my blog link in the original post above, and you will find a flight photo of the the model showing the Ajax at ejection and the Nike on its chute below.
Ahh, I wondered. I am a black powder non-electronics purist (or in the eyes of the high power guys, a black powder non-electronic troglodyte!). Thanks for the update, that would be an even more challenging bird to fly with black powder staging. still impressive to get electronics to work on low power motors.

Last edited:
Back